Bubbling paint on Hood : Best Repair Method

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hood on my wife's Montana has bubbling paint in a thin line (about 20 inches in length) on the leading and trailing edges of the hood ( there is no bubbling paint anywhere else, including the sides. )

I figure that I had better nip this "car cancer" in the bud ASAP. I don't have any problems with the sanding and general "de-crudding" , its the painting that always screws me up. The areas to be sanded etc. are too extensive to use the factory "touch up" brush. I got some "GM" touch-up spray paint fron AA that is a surprisingly good match. I am at a loss, however as to whether I should try to tape/mask off the not affected parts or try to "blend". Also, is there some kind of aftermarket clearcoat sealer that I need to put over the repainted area?

Any other traps that I need to look out for?

This is called "Paint Delamination." It can be common with all cars - especially GM's and Chryslers. Many theories are around, but what happens is that the paint layer does not "stick" to the primer. The permanent fix is to remove the paint and most of the primer, then reprime and repaint. What's done alot is feather sanding the "bad spots" and repainting. Your problem will continue if you do this. Removing most of the "bad" primer" and repriming is the key to a permanent fix.

I'm on it. I checked out the TSB's on the Montana ( than God for the Internet !!!) and I think that this one may be on GM's dime. Thanks guys: I'll keep you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back