Removal of Acoustic Engine Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 3800 S II has a "acoustic engine cover" which is, in essence, a fairly heavy-gauge plastic "cowl" that covers the entire intake maniford and the front valve cover. It seems heavy ( ie thick) enough to have some heat-retention properties. I was wondering if it would make sense to remove it during the warmer months to allow the engine to shed heat more quickly/efficiently. Is this likely to have any positive effects on performance?

I have a SC Series II also, I'm sure it might help, they also say removing the weather strip on the back of the hood helps some also. I don't think it will make much difference and might adversely effect the paint with time. I only remove mine to work on the engine if needed.

quote:

Originally posted by serious II:
My 3800 S II has a "acoustic engine cover" which is, in essence, a fairly heavy-gauge plastic "cowl" that covers the entire intake maniford and the front valve cover. It seems heavy ( ie thick) enough to have some heat-retention properties. I was wondering if it would make sense to remove it during the warmer months to allow the engine to shed heat more quickly/efficiently. Is this likely to have any positive effects on performance?

It's a constant battle to keep the heat away from the parts under the hood. You'd be doing your engine a favor by letting it ventilate since a lot of parts suffer and degrade from the heat, mainly the hoses.

I don't think you'll gain anything on the performance side.

I've been thinking the same thing about my moms Olds 88. I seriously doubt you'd notice anything. But it looks like it does trap heat right around the engine. If the heat was allowed to rise to the top of the engine compartment, maybe it would keep the area round the intake manifold a few degrees cooler.

Well, I just pulled it off and will run the engine "au natural" for a while and see how it goes. I doubt that it will do any harm, and may lower the engines operating tempature by a few degrees. I don't expect any great "horse power boost" but if I can lower tha operating temperature 5 degrees of so, that should be good during warmer weather.

more than likely it blocks RADIANT heat from toasting the backside of the hood, destroying the paint. There is way too much air movement under the hood (and under that cover) for it to cause thermal soaking issues.

leave it on.

It also quiets the injectors' clicking so you don't have people running around screaming "piston slap".
rolleyes.gif

-T

Id be afraid of bubbling the paint on the hood.

Isnt it better to keep the heat in the engine? I thought that it helps increase output and effiency. Of course the breakdown of plastic parts and oil isnt good.

If your car doesnt have heat issues, then why remove it? If you want to cool your engine better, Id add an oil and transmission cooler.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
Isnt it better to keep the heat in the engine? I thought that it helps increase output and effiency. Of course the breakdown of plastic parts and oil isnt good.

You kinda answered your own question. The heat you want to keep in the engine is only in the immediate area around the combustion chamber. Everywhere else, designers are trying to shed the heat.

The one on my '90 Cutlass is starting to rip. Was kind of wondering about removing it as well. Didn't think about it actually protecting the hood.

Most cars do not have one of these cheap lame looking covers on the engine. Those cars do not have paint peeling under the hood. Even GMs with the stupid cover (which is obviously there for looks; the engine compartment looks like **** with it off) have heat insulation on the underside of the hood.

I'd be willing to bet that engineers designed it so that heat retention would not be a factor.

I really doubt that you will get any change with it on or off.

And I also doubt that your paint will be harmed in any way.

quote:

Originally posted by robbobster:
I'd be willing to bet that engineers designed it so that heat retention would not be a factor.

I really doubt that you will get any change with it on or off.

And I also doubt that your paint will be harmed in any way.

I agree... It is designed to make the engine sound more quiet from inside the cabin. Also, it is designed to give the engine a modern look.

Almost all engines have covers these days, not just GM. You got the name right serious II it's an acoustic engine cover, meaning it is meant to absorb sound. Specifically the fuel injectors, which can make a clicking sound. Older 3.8s had a cover that basically only covered the fuel rail.

kang, I agree with you that unless you have a reason to do otherwise, leave it on. But I think your giving the engine control system a little too much credit, it will not make a bit of difference in the way the engine runs. Coolant temp and intake temp will be unaffected.

-T

In modern, computer controlled cars, maintaining an accurate under-hood temperature is important for emissions, fuel economy, power, etc. The computer is expecting a certain intake manifold temperature, based on all the shielding, and removing this cover might cause a change in the way the fuel atomizes, the A/F ratio, the combustion efficiency, etc. All this stuff is linked: change one and you change them all. Unless you have a specific issue to address, I’d say leave it on.

I have a GM Holden 3.8 and have taken off the acoustic cover as I had problems with water leaks. I have had it off for some months and can't say it makes a diference either way. Have been thinking to put it back on.

Actually looks much better seeing the shiny aluminium rather than the cheap plastic. The under bonnet has sound deadening material on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back