1998 Toyota Sienna Van -Timing Belt???

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 1MZ-FE V-6, the only engine installed in the first generation Sienna is a timing belt engine. It does require periodic replacement, at least the 1MZ in the Camry I used to drive did. IIRC, it was to be done at either 60k or 90k miles in the Camry. Obviously, you'd want to get official word on this and act accordingly.
cheers.gif

Originally posted by Andrewsreef:
[QB] Hi, I don't have a shop manual for this van yet but I need to know if it has a timing belt that needs replacing. My father-in-law is under the impression that it does not need to be replaced on this year van but the ownermanual is silent on it. It has 79k on it so it would need to be done soon if it does.

The interval is 90K.

Yep, it's 90,000 miles. But then again, don't bother...the thing should be sludged by the time the belt would break
pat.gif

If you do it for him, let me know how you make out...

Pete
2002 Sienna, 56,000+ miles; spotless engine inside.

Hi, I don't have a shop manual for this van yet but I need to know if it has a timing belt that needs replacing. My father-in-law is under the impression that it does not need to be replaced on this year van but the ownermanual is silent on it. It has 79k on it so it would need to be done soon if it does.

Thanks for the help.

Andrew

"Yep, it's 90,000 miles. But then again, don't bother...the thing should be sludged by the time the belt would break"

Well, I hope not as I have been running M-1 since 56k and I hope that will stop the sludge problem. We know 2 people that have the same year van and the engine died at 90k. Both were spoty on the maintance and did not run synthetics.

Thanks

Andrew

quote:

Originally posted by farang:
How about the new Sienna? Is it a timing belted or chained?

New Sienna has the 3MZ-FE V-6, a very close relative of the earlier generation's 1MZ-FE. The displacement has increased from 3.0 to 3.3, and there are other minor improvements, but it still has a timing belt vs. chain.

Overall, I'll take a chain any day. But there's no free lunch. The VQ35 in my G35 has chains, and about 3/4 of the time, they make an awful racket for a second or two on start-up, until oil pressure stabilizes. The official Nissan/Infiniti name for this is "timing chain rattle". Supposedly harmless except in extreme (long duration) cases. Belt are a costly pain to replace, but they are absolutely, totally silent . . . until they snap.

quote:

Originally posted by Pete:
Yep, it's 90,000 miles. But then again, don't bother...the thing should be sludged by the time the belt would break

???? intelligent owners of these engines would beg to differ.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back