Toyota RAV-4 Front Suspension - Need Toyota Forum too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
My dads 1997 2wd RAV-4 front struts are locked up on him and I need a bit of help figuring out what to do. You can't even make the car bounce if you have an elephant sit on the hood, it is rock solid. I am shocked to say that there are no aftermarket parts available for this thing and it is going to cost 650$CDN for the front struts, booties, and springs plus 50$CDN for an alignment, plus 15% tax on all of that!!! If I wasn't doing the work myself it would be 1 grand just to swap the front shocks out with OEM parts! I don't feel that used struts would be cost effective as we will be keeping this car for ever and it has worn out two sets in 230K km.

So, I'm looking for a Toyota forum to see if there is anybody that has details on the following:
-Front fender to tire clearance
-Details on identifying whether or not I have the removable cartridge style struts
-Where to find parts for a better price

I will owe you guys big if we can figure something out,
Stve

rockauto.com lists replacement strut cartridges for this model at about US$50 each, but it looks like you're out of luck if you have sealed struts.

quote:

Originally posted by srivett:
.... I am shocked to say that there are no aftermarket parts available for this thing and it is going to cost 650$CDN for the front struts, booties, and springs plus 50$CDN for an alignment, plus 15% tax on all of that!!! ....

KYB lists replacements, for both sealed and non-sealed:

http://www.kyb.com/catalog/index.php?Action=Submit&MakeID=Toyota&ModelID=825&x=22&y=14

For some reason, though, many late model Toyotas don't have much of a selection in aftermarket struts.

Thanks guy,
I guess www.altrom.ca is correct when only showing the strut cartridges at 100CDN. That is half the price of the struts be the springs are still 100 each and the booties are another 35 each. I am glad the first set of shocks failed under warranty as the second set lasted twice as long as the first.

I'm really hoping the springs aren't broken as it would save some of my retired parents cash. I've never had the struts lock up like this before.

Steve

I jacked up the RAV today and found out that the springs aren't carrying any weight despite not being broken. What I'm going to try to do at first is only change the springs. What I will do is put spring compressors on the springs while still on the vehicle and remove the centre strut rod bolt. I am hoping I'll be able to do this as I'll be able to find out if the struts are okay and I'll save my parents from having a wheel alignment done.

If there isn't room to use spring compressors I'll put straps on the springs and undo the strut rod bolts before jacking up the car. To get the new springs in I'll precompress them and strap them down before removing the compressor.

I hope the struts will be okay, apparently they have only been bottomed out since Monday.

Steve

There is a total lack of aftermarket parts for this thing. You can't even get an aftermarket exhaust!

I pulled a strut out of it today and found that the spring had a 3" portion missing from the bottom. We'll be buying all new parts from Toyota. Atleast it is easy to work on and rarely has a part wear out.

Steve

What a battle! The new springs are so hard to get onto the struts that we've given up. There would have been shots fired if me and my father kept working on those bastages.
itschy.gif

The spring compressors aren't getting the springs tight enough to get the top plates back on the struts and after an hour of fighting we will pay to have the struts put back together. We'll put the struts back on the car as that is really easy to do. I noticed that his axle boots are ripped so we have to decide whether we want to go with a boot kit or new axles in the near future. If it is only the outers I think I'll go with the kits assuming I can find them. Any thoughts?

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back