Anyone use a topsider - oil extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to until my current vehicle which has a 8.5 sump and the damm thing only held 6 quarts.

The oil filter is on top and it'a breeze to change. With the time spent cleaning the dipstick tube that goes to the extractor, pouring out 3 quarts so I can suck up the remainder.......it's just easier for me to jack up the car, unbolt - drain, drain oil, etc.

Just kurios to see how many MityVac-Topsider users here ? FWIW, the extractor do get almost all if not all the oil out vs. draining from the bottom IMO.

A lot of people in the Mercedes crowd uses it. There's been lots of discussion on that site about it. Your experience is typical. I can't see the point of having another tool to clutter my suburban garage when all I have to do is use the drain plug.

Topsider pros:
- It'll get people to change their oil more often if they otherwise hate crawling under the car to change the oil or put off taking it to a lube place.
- Drain plug is stripped and can't be used anymore.
- Some cars don't have drain plugs anymore, or drain plug is not at the lowest point!
- Some dealer service departments use it so they can bring the oil change to the car without hoisting it, and save by not having an oil change bay.
- Very popular for boat inboard motors.

Cons:
- Like I said, another unnecessary tool taking up room and expense.
- May not get all the oil out (not necessarily true).
- Doesn't allow for long drains to remove the dirtiest oil.
- Oil needs to be warm.

Yes, I have the MityVac. I use it on a VW Jetta TDI. VW designed the oiling system so an evacuator can be put down the oil dipstick tube and the cartridge type oil filter canister can be unscrewed from the top and it also can be suctioned. The VW technical data also indicates that the dealers can use a special tool. (evacuator) An oil and filter change can be done from oil evacuation to fresh oil in 12-15 min max. It almost makes oil change fun again.

Bottom draining can still be done. However there are riv nuts to be removed (7-10) and a plastic "skidplate" to reach the oil drain plug. This is not to mention the required use of jacks, jackstands or ramps.

I guess it all depends on the application
smile.gif

The nice thing about the traditional oil chances is after is all said and done, I just cap the oil drain pan, give it a wipe with the paper towel and I can put it in the trunk and bring it to the local gas station with a used oil tank that is floor/grate level.

With the Mityvac, I could not transport it in a car since there was no cap and was always full to the brim, and when I did use it and walked it over to the closer gas station, it had a small sink like setup where you need to lift and pour.....and the oil does splatter.

I believe the topsider (by design) will allow you to cap it though and from what I've seen, there are now larger capacity topsiders & mityvac (9-14 quarts).

Yes, the local waste company does weekly curbside removal in "approved" containers as part of the WSG bill. I like the MityVac for you just pour it into one or two of these containers and it is truly a lot less mess to clean, and because it gives less footprint and stands in a corner in my garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back