how to clean an intake plenum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to remove & clean the intake plenum from my '97 Expedition 4.6L. It's passageways to the EGR valve are badly clogged with black carbon deposits.

What is the best stuff to soak it in to remove the carbon buildup?

gunk engine brite and assorted sized stiff nylon bottle/gun brushes will work well.

the carrier solvents will allow you to rinse away the crud with water.

Are you referring to the throttle body and the EGR ports at the bottom of the throttle body throat?

Spray Carb Cleaner, but make sure it states that it is throttle body safe as there is a coating inside.
I have read where there are some guys who ported and polished the throttle body and claimed better performance.
I believe it would only show at the track in the thousands of seconds.

I alwas wanted to try a Lube Control overnight soak to see if it would dissolve the crud. If that was successful I would soak the EGR valve too.

Here is a link to a how to:
Throttle Body Cleaning

Have fun and be patient.

If you are wanting to soak the intake manifold itself use Berrymans.Never use a carburetor cleaner on the throttle body!Use only a thottle body cleaner! BTW,Deep Creep is a good choice too!

quote:

Originally posted by BlueOvalFitter:
If you are wanting to soak the intake manifold itself use Berrymans.Never use a carburetor cleaner on the throttle body!Use only a thottle body cleaner! BTW,Deep Creep is a good choice too!

Too late; that intake has had carb cleaner sprayed on it a couple of times already. I probably won't use carb cleaner anymore, but whatever coating WAS on the intake is long gone now.

Where can I buy Berrymans? what type of product is it?

Berrymans is sold in an aerasol spray and also a liquid.Major auto parts stores carry both and the liquid in gallon containers.It is used as a dip for soaking carburetors,throttle bodies,injectors,etc.The smaller size liquid,12oz,can be added to the tank as a fuel cleaner.When I use to rebuild my carbs ide use the gallon container.It comes with a dip basket that fits in the gallon container.Berrymans has been around for many years.
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
Could I soak the intake plenum in Kerosene? Would Kerosene break up the carbon deposits?

Biodiesel would work far better if you can get your hands on it.

Biodiesel is a methyl ester product. Now you've read all the folklore about the properties of esters, eh?
wink.gif

Go pick up a can of intake & Throttle body cleaner. That's what it's made for. I use the CRC brand. You spray it in the intake and watch the carbon run right off. I remove the IAC valve and EGR and clean them separately. Clean the MAF sensor with a residue free contact cleaner. I do this to all my cars and it works great. Let everything dry and put it all back together. None of the dangers of ingesting chemicals and it works.

-T

Berryman's B-12 Chemtool is the best. I use CRCs non-chlorinated brake cleaner though. Can get it on sale for about a $1 a can and almost as good as the Chemtool.

The TB coating thing is a joke.

quote:

Originally posted by SHOZ:

The TB coating thing is a joke.

I've often wondered about that very thing, the coating I mean... if it is there it seems so ineffective, and the porters and polishers haven't reported any unusual buildup in their p&p TB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back