what does 'lube' mean

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if someone can tell me what is the lube part of the 'lube and oil change'? what do you do? can it be diy? can someone tell me how to do it? i have an '04 civic vp. i'm doing my own oil changes so i don't know what to do about that.

They use a grease gun to lubricate fittings on moving suspension and driveline parts. They also lightly oil door hinges, hood latches, etc.

You should also be checking to see if your outside lights are working at this point. I can't stand it when I'm behind a car that has 4 of 5 lights burnt out...makes me want to ram them off the road.
nono.gif
Your cars manual should have all of that in there. If not, you'll have to look for a real service manual.

Steve

youre civic is a modern car and therefore doesnt have anything to lube besides the locks and hinges.

old fashoned cars and trucks has balljoints and stupid steering systems with things called pitman arms. these all need occasional greasing.

Years ago I think it meant more. Cars use to have grease fittings on most joints especially on the steering linkages. Today most have sealed joints that are lubed for life. Of course "life" is not defined.
rolleyes.gif

I doubt most oil change places do anything for the lube part of the lube and oil change. I suppose they consider looking at other fluid levels and other parts to sell as part of the service. If your car does have grease fittings then they should give them each a shot of grease.

Neither of my two Hondas have grease fittings.

Your owners manual may have information on places to look at that may need some types of attention.

quote:

Originally posted by White 03:

I doubt most oil change places do anything for the lube part of the lube and oil change.

Bingo.

"They" also lube door hinges? Watch the schmucks at most quicky lubes. Chassis lube of ANY KIND is rare (even when a vehicle truely needs chassis lubrication).

When I worked at a QLube (Quaker State --> Jiffy Lube later on) it was my job to lube the doors. I remember once when a guy in a K-Car had to open his door, the screech sounded like some kind of wounded animal! A few shots of ATF/10w30 in a pump bottle fixed it. With those particular cars you have to dig out a little hole to spray the oil into. I bet their neighbours were pleased just as much as the owner.
grin.gif

So yes, we do lube the doors. Lubing the suspension is hit and miss. The guy is under the car looking forward so he won't be able to see some of the fittings. Experience will tell him where to look but he doesn't know the car as well as many owners. Let's pretend there are 1000 different models in a given area, how will he remember them all?

Cheers, Steve

quote:

Originally posted by cryptokid:
youre civic is a modern car and therefore doesnt have anything to lube besides the locks and hinges.

old fashoned cars and trucks has balljoints and stupid steering systems with things called pitman arms. these all need occasional greasing.

This is a little off. Plenty of "modern" cars and trucks still have grease fittings. And the "stupid" steering system you are referring to called recirculating ball steering, something BMW and Mercedes still use. Balljoints are used on all double-wishbone suspensions. They are not only used on trucks, but on most race cars. Far from stupid, these are one of the best suspension designs.

Most newer cars have machperson struts up front and a multilink in the back. These components could have grease fittings, but most manufacturers leave them out.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by srivett:
When I worked at a QLube (Quaker State --> Jiffy Lube later on) it was my job to lube the doors. I remember once when a guy in a K-Car had to open his door, the screech sounded like some kind of wounded animal! A few shots of ATF/10w30 in a pump bottle fixed it. With those particular cars you have to dig out a little hole to spray the oil into. I bet their neighbours were pleased just as much as the owner.
grin.gif

So yes, we do lube the doors. Lubing the suspension is hit and miss. The guy is under the car looking forward so he won't be able to see some of the fittings. Experience will tell him where to look but he doesn't know the car as well as many owners. Let's pretend there are 1000 different models in a given area, how will he remember them all?

Cheers, Steve

I stand corrected! You and the crew at Q-Lube must have actually been satisfied from doing a good job
cheers.gif

Some OEM ball joints and tie rod ends have grease fittings, some don't. Have seen Jiffy Lube receipts where the computer "knows" how many zerks are on the car.

I've replaced worn-out OE sealed ball joints with aftermarket greasable ones. If a Jiffy Tech were to trust the computer and not visually look for this, they would not get greased.

When you grease these zerks, if you find any, you wipe the crud off then screw the tip of your grease gun grease pipe down and pump the stuff in. Watch the rubber seal expand; a pump or two will do you.

-

Does anybody here remember lubing those 60's Chevy trucks?

You had to lube...
Upper A-arm bushings-4
Upper balljoints-2
Lower balljoints-2
lower controll arm bushings-4
Tie rod ends-4
Drag link ends-2
Idler arm-1
clutch z-bar-1
U-joints-3

23 so far and I prolly forgot a couple.

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:

quote:

Originally posted by cryptokid:

This is a little off. Plenty of "modern" cars and trucks still have grease fittings. And the "stupid" steering system you are referring to called recirculating ball steering, something BMW and Mercedes still use. Balljoints are used on all double-wishbone suspensions. They are not only used on trucks, but on most race cars. Far from stupid, these are one of the best suspension designs.

Most newer cars have machperson struts up front and a multilink in the back. These components could have grease fittings, but most manufacturers leave them out.

-T

i guess you misunderstood me. i never said balljoints are a bad thing. infact most mcpherson struts use a balljoint under the strut to make the strut to the a arm.

what i said was that GREASABLE fittings are old fashoned.
sealed balljonints and tie rod ends are a blessing. you never need to touch the nasty things untill they finally wear out then you spend $20 and replace one.

Ungreasable fittings are terrible. I've had greaseable ones last 200,000+, and sealed ones actually seperate at 150,000. Would a sealed engine sump be a good thing?

-T

I have added a few greasable fittings to my suspension but My Tacoma has 15 grease fittings. I like to have serviceable parts rather than disposable ones.
It is also nice to be able to inspect your own chasis and suspension as you go over it with the grease gun.
Another thing to remembber is that some applications require EP grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back