Tapping noise under my valve cover. Additive needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came upon this site doing a search, I have a question that I'm sure someone here can help me with.

I have a 1981 Camaro Z28 that has been in storage and not driven very much. The car has under 2,600 miles. I have noticed a valve tap noise in the engine, right below the valve cover. It is louder when the engine is cold, but the noise lessens as the engine warms up, but the noise is still there.

I need to find a product that will help get rid of this noise. I can't go to a garage, because the car has no plates. I can't change the oil myself, but it is clean, Shell 10W30 conventional oil, changed a few months ago.

There are many products on the market and the internet. I have been told to try Lucas Oil "Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer" and their "Fuel Treatment w/Upper Cylinder Lube", "Valvoline SynPower Oil Treatment", "Marvel Mystery Oil", "Valvemedic" (I think Gunk makes it, but I'm not sure), CD-2 Maxx Oil Detergent, (a just-released, new version of the stuff in the yellow bottle), etc.

Some of these products above receive praise, others not. For example, MMO is "too strong and will create smoke out the tailpipe", Lucas products are "too thick for cold weather use", and so is "Valvoline SynPower". I don't know how true these opinions are, but that's why I'm at this site.

The weather here is cold, so I need a product that will be able to flow well and do the job in the cold, and not hurt my engine.

Any advice anyone?
Thanks in advance!
cool.gif

If it is indeed lifter noise it could be masking other problems.

Chevy V8's from the 70's and 80's had problems with camshaft wear. Could be that.

Could also be that the pressed in studs that hold the rockers have pulled out of the heads slightly.

You can adjust the valves in this engine with a 5/8's deep socket and a rachet.

I would dump in a can of Rislone and see if that cures it then go after the cam or valve adjustment if it doesn't.

adreed24 - I have a 1981 Camaro Z28 that has been in storage and not driven very much. The car has under 2,600 miles. I have noticed a valve tap noise in the engine, right below the valve cover. It is louder when the engine is cold, but the noise lessens as the engine warms up, but the noise is still there.

welcome.gif

Do you really mean a 1981 vehicle with 2,600 miles on it?

quote:

Originally posted by SPITMAN:
Go to your GM dealer and get a can of EOS (engine oil supplement). Do an oil change using a good quality 10W-30 (penzoil, GTX, .....) add the EOS and leave this mix in for at least 3000mi. Your tick should go away in about the first 500mi.
You have deposit buildup on one or more of your lifters and they just need a bit of a chemical clean -- thus the EOS.

Incase anyone missed it,here's aVOA on GM EOS

Thanks for the "Welcome" and the information.

I knew this site would provide some answers.

I'll call my local GM dealer to see if they have the EOS. I'll also see if an oil change, with 10W40, may help.

Yes, it is a 1981 Camaro Z/28 and it really does have under 2,600 miles on it. 2,558 miles to be exact; I checked it today.

It's hard to believe, but it's true.
smile.gif

Go to your GM dealer and get a can of EOS (engine oil supplement). Do an oil change using a good quality 10W-30 (penzoil, GTX, .....) add the EOS and leave this mix in for at least 3000mi. Your tick should go away in about the first 500mi.
You have deposit buildup on one or more of your lifters and they just need a bit of a chemical clean -- thus the EOS.

I had a pickup truck that had an annoying valve tap on cold start-up. Once the engine warmed it ran silently. I changed the oil to Chevron 10W-40 and it immediately quietened the noise. Where you are located you might not prefer the 10W- for the colder weather.

More recently I changed the oil in my 99 Nissan from the recently installed Castrol Syntec 10W-40 (vis. 13.2 @ 100C) back to Schaeffer's 700 15W-40 Blend (vis. 15.0 @ 100C)and got my much quieter start-ups back. Again, in this case the engine was quiet for the rest of the day once it warmed up.

It might not be that the 15W-40 being thicker was the real reason for quietening the cold start-ups. However, changing the oil made the difference. Something in the oil had the right effect.

I read the VOA of GM EOS and I came up with a couple of questions.

Some people said that the Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment would have better ingredients than GM EOS.

If I had a choice between using the GM EOS and Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment, which should I choose? Which would help my car's problem the best?

Which is thicker and better for use in cold weather?

[ January 30, 2005, 02:53 AM: Message edited by: adreed24 ]

had the same problem. a buddy of mine works at grainger and guaranteed he could make the noise go away or my money back no questions asked. sold me a box of foam ear plugs....If a tree falls in the forrest,does it make noise.. only if you can hear it.

quote:

Originally posted by adreed24:
Yes, it is a 1981 Camaro Z/28 and it really does have under 2,600 miles on it. 2,558 miles to be exact; I checked it today.

It's hard to believe, but it's true.
smile.gif

How long have the oil and filter been in? They should both be replaced and this car should be driven. I doubt it is even broken in.

Even an early-80s GM car cannot wear out in 2600mi. Can it?

Drive, drive, drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back