Best OBDII Code Reader?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm want to get an OBDII Code reader for my car and I cannot choose between Actron CP9135 and Equus 3100. It seems that the Actron CP9135 display the DTC code with its description while the Equus only display the code and then you have to look in the manual for the meaning. On the other hand, the Equus 3100 can display both generic (P0) and manufacturer specific (P1) codes (I believe the Actron CP9135 only gives the P0 codes but I'm not sure about that. Do you know?).

Both unit are around 100$ on Ebay.

Which one do you think is better in term of capabilities, which one have the biggest code database, which one is compatible with a higher number of vehicle (I think Equus is not compatible with vehicles using CAN protocol but I don't know about the Actron)?

Thanks

[ January 14, 2005, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: kilou ]

I would be interested in knowing this as well, but also knowing if either of these can read ABS codes, as at least my 98 chevy truck can provide ABS codes over the OBDII port.

Do these work with the newest SAABs?

Thanks,

JMH

It seems that AutoXray code reader are the best since they support the new CAN protocol, can display both generic and proprietary DTC and last but not least they are updateable from the web!! Slightly more pricey but I think it's worth it.

I am not an auto mechanic, but have some mechanical aptitude. Bought an Equus 3100 2 weeks ago, and am wery happy with it. It is actually easier to use then I thought it would be. Although it didn't come with the code list for my Infiniti, but I was easily able to pick it up off an Infiniti forum.

I asked a similar question not too long ago here. I have nothing but praise for Alex Peper's scan tool. $240 gets you everything you need for well into the future. The couple of times I've needed support, Alex was only a phone call away. It communicates with the bcm, abs, air bag, and all the other class 2 devices on the network. Data dumps to excel, updates are web-based, and it has a two year warranty. You might want to check it out: http://www.obd-2.com/

Yes scanners seem to be much better than simple code readers but it's start to be quite expensive for me ............. and I do not have a laptop or PDA
frown.gif

However I may look a little further into this direction since a code reader is not so much useful: you just know the error code but you have no way to check things to know where the error may come from!

W8liftr, what do you scan of the Elmscan sold on www.scantool.net? OK it is not CAN compatible and works only for a single interface at a time although 3combo kits exists for ISO, VPW and PWM. Other than this, which additional capabilities does your scantool provide compared to this offer?

For basic code reading I here the $40 scanner at Harbor Freight works, I am sure most of what has been posted here is nicer but I thought it was an option worth mentioning. Personally my car was easily swapped back to OBD1 which I did because the scanning/logging software as well as the pcm tuning software was a lot cheaper. My car would not pass a plugin emmisions test but does still run clean with cats so it is not like I am a gross polluter or anything.(The wife might disagrre with that last part
freak2.gif
)

i have the actron cp 9135, and it works great for me. i plan on getting the cp 9145 soon, so i might be selling this one. the 9135 gives you the code and the description.any offers for my 9135?

Daves66nova:
Would the tool you would like to sell be useful for my '99 and '02 Nissan Sentras?

Whittier? I've been in Whitterier Alaska and that's a long way from where I live. In fact, I've been there several times. I very much enjoyed the ferry ride several times across Prince William Sound from Valdez to Whittier. If you're in another Whittier, then just please pardon.

Please pardon my off topic paragraph above.

Just remember if your buying a scanner now...make sure it support CAN. OBD-II IS NOT CAN!!!!! OBD-II scanners without the capability to be updated to support the new protocal are useless on newer vehicles.

By 2008, all new vehicles will be following the CAN system. So if your caught between two scanners, and the price difference isn't large, try and get the CAN one. Thus when you get a new car (possibly) in the next 4 or 5 yrs, the scanner will still be able to get you useful data.

quote:

Originally posted by kilou:
W8liftr, what do you scan of the Elmscan sold on www.scantool.net? OK it is not CAN compatible and works only for a single interface at a time although 3combo kits exists for ISO, VPW and PWM. Other than this, which additional capabilities does your scantool provide compared to this offer?

Just looked at that site and, other than what I mentioned above, it looks like there are quite a few additional things that car code does. Some of the differences that jumped out right away were: graphing, logging, freeze frame, configurable dash display, enhanced tests and data (185 additional data streams for one of my cars), and pretty much everything else listed under 'new browser features' on Alex's site.

I agree crossbow but as usual with electronics, it maybe not so safe to try to "predict" everything. Of course the CAN standard will become THE standard that most vehicle will use but if I buy a car in 3-4 years, the price of CAN capable scanners will drop incredibly and they for sure will provide much more feature that what nowadays PC based scanner are able to do. So in my opinion it's perhaps a safer bet to buy the right scanner for your car providing it's cheap and suits your needs. Once you get a CAN car, you'll get another scanner but this may cost far less than buying the "top of the range" now. On the opposite, for those such as W8liftr that have a large bunch of different cars, a scanner that supports all protocols is the only way to go.

I believe I've definitely erased the option of simple code readers such as Actron CP9135, Equus 3100 or even AutoxRay EZRead 1000 (this one would have been the best IMHO). Only retrieving the DTC code is nice but truely not sufficient to troubleshoot a problem. For this I believe freeze frames are a MUST HAVE! This is why I'm looking towards PC based scanners but...unfortunately I still don't have any laptop
frown.gif

I've seen 4 nice offers for now:
- Alex's scanner in TRICAN version: seems to be the best one but..........240$ (not expensive for what it is but I doubt I'll use so much things)

- ElmScan OBD2 ISO: supports only ISO protocol (the one for my actual car) but can be bought for as low as 75$ on Ebay

- BR3 (http://obddiagnostics.com/order.html): This one is interesting too. It offers ISO, VPW and PWM (not CAN) and sells for 96$. Comes with Dignose software which seems to be rather complete.

- MoByDiC Plus 2600 Inbox (http://www.ozenelektronik.com/index2.php?newlang=english): Supports everything including CAN and comes with ScanMaster software which seems to be nice too (freeze frame etc). Price: 108 Euros = 140$

My preference for now is still the ElmScan because it is cheap and it can be combined with free software that retrieve also freeze frames (the ScanToll software not yet retrieve them but it will soon).

A basic question: recent vehicles are commonly known as being "multiplexed". Does multiplexing mean that the vehicle is using the CAN interface or is this something completely different?

PS: the new ScanMaster Professional (payware) seems to be awesome! Surely Alex's scan tool remains more complete but it seems that this ScanMaster is now able to retrieve ALL the interesting information from the OBD2 interface in a more user-friendly way than Vehicle Explorer. What do you think?

download the demo at www.wgsoft.de (you can register for free to get access to the download section)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back