Battery recommendation for a (trunk mtd) BMW 540i?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car is a 2000 BMW 540i (body is E39) w/ 4.4L V8 (M62 engine). The battery is in the trunk and I guess needs to be vented although I haven't seen a tube coming from it yet. The question is what is the best battery to use, does it need to be vented since it is mounted in the trunk. What procedures to follow to maintain the memory presets. How about the new Optima Yellow or Red top batteries.

The battery that my 1996 Ford Contour takes (Autozone sells it for $60 or so) is a European sized battery (Group 40R). The battery that Autozone sells has provisions for venting that are not used on that car since it's mounted in the engine compartment.

Autozone says your 540i takes a Duralast 49DL (group 49?) which they sell for $64.99 and has 800CCA with a 7-year warranty, 2-year free replacement.

The notes say "battery is vented to outside vehicle", so I would venture to guess that the 49DL also has provisions for venting.

As far as saving the presets, there are devices you can get which plug into the cigarette lighter. I think they use a 9-volt battery and a diode. They might not work so well if the cigarette lighter is switched with the ignition.

What I've discovered works well to save presets is a rechargeable 12V spotlight. The one I have, and I would guess most of them, don't have a diode between the DC power input jack and the battery. Probably because it'd have to be a hefty diode for the amount of current that light draws.

Because of that, the rechargeable spotlight will supply 12V to the rest of the car when you disconnect the car battery if it's charged up and plugged into the cigarette lighter. (If your lighter socket is switched, key needs to be ON and you should turn off the radio, fan, etc.)

Jim,

One of the advantages of trunk mounted batteries is that the battery is not exposed to the extreme heat of the engine compartment. Heat is one of the main killers of batteries. They typically don't last more than 3-4 years in Phoenix, for example. In South Carolina, I'm sure you get some fairly warm days but it's not like the desert. My experience with our E34 and E36 is that they go through batteries every 6-8 years. The OEM for BMW North America is Douglas Battery. Give them a call for a local reseller, if you wish: Douglas Battery Website

I've heard good things about the AutoZone batteries (made by Johnson Controls) as well as the Interstate batteries (also by Johnson). The only issue is getting an Optima battery in the size you need. The earlier generation BMW's used sizes 91, 92, and 93 which are low profile (6 7/8"). The size 49 that BrianL703 cites is the same as size 93 except it's 7.5" high (probably would still work).

One other tip, when replacing your battery, it's a good idea to get one of those batteries that plug into your cigarette lighter. That way you'll have power to the radio even though the main battery is unplugged. It's a real pain having to find the unlock codes for the factory radio. My local Costco had one by Coleman for about $20.

How about a nice Optima battery? Great for all temps, sturdy, good warranty. Sure it is a little expensive, but Beemers deserve the best...
cheers.gif

I'd reccomend the optima battery, even though it's more expensive. No venting necessary.

The autozone/advance batteries will work too.

The bmw people say you need a battery with a heatsink, vents, vibration resistant, etc... i say you don't need all that jazz.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by seotaji:
I'd reccomend the optima battery, even though it's more expensive. No venting necessary.

The autozone/advance batteries will work too.

The bmw people say you need a battery with a heatsink, vents, vibration resistant, etc... i say you don't need all that jazz.
wink.gif

The Optima would have the last two items covered. What's the heatsink for anyway??

http://www.bmwtips.com/
Jim Spahr-try this link. It has a lot of good info. I got the link from the Seattle 7's web page.
grin.gif
Click on tips and tricks then go to Engine Tran & Exhaust and go to 10. battery.

Hey guys,

Forget Optima, Sears, Pep Boys, etc.

Check out this website for the best batteries money can buy.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/

Unfortunately I found this website after I bought and installed an Interstate MTP-93 in my Jag XJR, but you can believe I will be buying one of the Odyssey's next time, or for my Mustang GT.

These guys have a model of battery for a car that puts out 1700CA's and can sustain a 5Amp load for over 13 HOURS!!!

had to get one from Audi/VW for my trunk mounted application (91 318i E30).
Works great, and has been a very robust battery for some years now. Has been fully de-charged a few times when my alt. went south, and Ive left the (parking) lights on for many hours... Always started right up and the battery is no weaker for it.

JMH

If you have a BatteriesPlus in your area they sell batteries for European cars. Their batteries are made by Douglas and are exact replacements for BMW. They are the white housing with the folding handle on top and they have the vent tube in the correct locations and the reversed posts. They are also offered in the OEM CCA ratings.

My BMW and VW both use the same battery. The BCI group is a 94R and is a 765CCA battery. If your battery is mounted on the passenger side of the trunk well then you definitely have a vent tube. The vent tube should be permanently affixed to the car with a rotating 90º nipple that plugs into your battery. You attach this nipple after you have installed the battery. Be sure that this is attached because you don't want battery vapors in the metal housing of you trunk.

If you go to douglasbattery . com/frame.html you can select the import/euro batteries and see the product. This is the same product that batteriesplus sells except the label is adapted for the franchise instead of the battery manufacturer.

I have installed the PC1200 odyssey battery and is working great. The difference between the Optima and Odyssey is that the Optima is gell and the latter is dry. (i do not what is the difference??)
You may go to both their websites to check them out. Hope this helps!

Yep, Batteries Plus is the reseller in the San Francisco Bay Area. Here, the owners also have a retail automotive repair shop, so I had to call the main number with the referral from Douglas, order the battery and then pick it up at their repair shop. Otherwise, if you walk into the shop, you'll have to pay repair shop retail which would have been at least $40 more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back