How do I remove "hard" water stains from Windshield Glass

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by XS650:
... I think the abrasiveness is the paper itself....

Makes sense. I once examined office paper under a scanning electron microscope and found it contained cellulose fibers and fine clay particles. Paper towels showed the same thing without the clay. I didn't look at newspaper though. I imagine it would have some clay in it.

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:
... I think the abrasiveness is the paper itself....

Makes sense. I once examined office paper under a scanning electron microscope and found it contained cellulose fibers and fine clay particles. Paper towels showed the same thing without the clay. I didn't look at newspaper though. I imagine it would have some clay in it.

Standard newsprint doesn't have clay added. The slicker newsprint you see in inserted flyers and in the paper does have clay.

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
I also heard this was true way back when. But is this still true since they switched to soy-based ink about 10 years ago?

It's the coarse paper in newpapers that's the key, so ink composition isn't specifically a problem for this purpose. But, with color inks, there's may be at least some minimal toxicity issue due to their heavy metal content - unless their composition has changed to something more environmentally friendly, too.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
But, with color inks, there's may be at least some minimal toxicity issue due to their heavy metal content - unless their composition has changed to something more environmentally friendly, too.

Color inks also tend to leave a film on the glass. A bit like a thin oil slick. The rainbow patterns can be entertaining when the light is just right.
grin.gif

I saw this on Shade Tree Mechanic when it was still on the air. They were detailing a car and used Bar Keeper's Friend powdered cleanser on the windshield applied with a wet sponge. It renewed the glass and didn't scratch.

I tried it on my car and the results were nothing short of amazing! As they cautioned you MUST hose the windshield and car down extremely well before doing any paint waxing/polishing. All of the residue must be rinsed off.

I use "Auto glass stripper" from Caswell, works great for water spots and to remove the oil film on the inside of the windsheld. The inside window, no matter how many times I would clean it the film would come back in a couple of days. With Auto glass stripper I can now go a couple of months.

If your a smoker like me, you'll love it.
http://www.caswellplating.com/permatex/notouch.html

I personally had a very serious water spot problem on my glass. I tried every glass cleaner I could get, even with Scotch Brite scrubbing pads. I even tried a rag soaked in straight white vinegar setting on the glass for several minutes. I then visited a local glass shop, and showed them the spots. The guy got a bottle, and said he'd try a spot and if it worked, I could buy the rest for $12.75. I agreed, and he got the spot perfectly clear. I bought the bottle of Duragloss Nu-Glass, went home, and used it on all my exterior glass. It removed ALL of the water spots. It is glass polish specifically designed for water spots. It's used just like any polish (apply, working it in, then buff off). Since taking up detailing, I've purchased a PC (Porter Cable 7336 dual action polisher). This really speeds up the process, so if you have access to a good dual action or random orbital polisher with pad, I'd recommend using it (if you use a rotary, use caution as they generate heat which can be bad for the glass).
You could do a search for Duragloss Nu Glass online and possibly find a supplier near you. I have only seen it online and at glass specialty shops (Auto Zone, Wal Mart, and the like don't normally carry it).

Hope this helps.
Dave

i sometimes use carb cleaner to clean the glass, i dont know if it works for spots, for that i use a razor blade to "shave" the minerals off. hey if it works for your face, it shouldnt mess up the glass
lol.gif

i cant stand using microfiber? Its hard to get it dry and streak free....

but yes, the 0000 steel wool thats like hair, works awesome at taking anything off. I spray mine heavily with glass cleaner and go to town. No scratches! No water spots!

I've seen some of the super nasty stuff sold in auto parts stores. One in particular contained methyl ethyl ketone. It would probably work without damaging the glass. The only problem is that it'll strip paint if you're not careful.

quote:

Originally posted by y_p_w:
I've seen some of the super nasty stuff sold in auto parts stores. One in particular contained methyl ethyl ketone. It would probably work without damaging the glass. The only problem is that it'll strip paint if you're not careful.

MEK shouldn't hurt you glass or any other inorganic material including hard water deposits. I wouldn't let it near any paint or rubber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back