98 Jeep Wrglr -Hit bump & all gauges quit suddenly

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter's 98 Jeep Wrangler dash 'goes out' when she hits a bump such as a RR crossing. All gauges go to zero until she hits a second bump and then they all begin to work normally. What would cause all the gauges to go out as though she had turned off the ignition switch? Any Jeep owners out there? How do you fix it?

quote:

Originally posted by Jim Spahr:
My daughter's 98 Jeep Wrangler dash 'goes out' when she hits a bump such as a RR crossing. All gauges go to zero until she hits a second bump and then they all begin to work normally. What would cause all the gauges to go out as though she had turned off the ignition switch? Any Jeep owners out there? How do you fix it?

check ground at cluster and engine compartment

Its a common problem with Jeeps in 1998. My moms 1998 jeep cherokee did the same. We would tap the dash and it would work again. It is also a TSB for 1998 Jeeps on the government recall website.

As pooter WS6 suggested, I went to AllData and found this TSB regarding the 'dash goes out' problem.
See for all cars and trucks- www.alldata.com

TSB no.- 08-15-99
TSB issue date- May '99
TSB title-"Instrument Cluster-Intermittent/Erratic Operation"
The AllData site shows all Technical Service Bulletins and Recalls. A TSB is not safety related like a Recall will be. It may be done free IF YOUR Vehicle is still under warranty.

Does anyone subscribe to AllData or have the means to read the full text of the TSB 08-15-99. I can only see the title of the TSB in AllData 'for free'. You have to subscribe to the service to get the full explanation.

I'm with pooter and Jim. You should have seen my wife almost pi$$ herself when the dash quit and I said something like "Don't panic, my ally is the force" and wrapped on the dash and everything returned on her 99.

Same Jeep Wrangler with 2.5 cu. in. I-4 cyl. in it. My Daughter now says the gas gauge is reading funny or incorrectly. I feel this is a separte problem from the above 'dash board goes out' problem. This gas gauge problem is -my best guess- a bad wiper arm on the tank float. Any thoughts on this new problem? Is it related or a different problem.

I went to the local Jeep dealer and got a print out of the TSB No.08-15-99, which is the dash Tach, Speedometer or Airbag light goes out intermitantly. The solution is to replace the Instrument Cluster wiring connector. This pn 05016261AA is only $6.10, but requires some soldering. Yes, That's only $6.10 for the wiring harness! This procedure takes less than an hour. That includes pulling the Instrument Cluster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back