Aluminum crush washers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate paying my dealer an extra $1 for a single crush washer. Surely this thing costs pennies. Where can I get them cheap and easy?
Thanks!

Most auto supply places carry these washers. They don't necessarily have to be aluminum. They can also be made of copper or nylon. Simply take an old one to the store with you to match the fit.

I've heard though that the copper isnt as soft as the aluminum, so there's greater risk to using the copper. True or myth?

quote:

Originally posted by scrabbler:
I've heard though that the copper isnt as soft as the aluminum, so there's greater risk to using the copper. True or myth?

Both work fine. One advantage to copper is that you can anneal them to resoften them after they get work hardened.

I have always reused aluminum or copper drain plug washers as long as they weren't beat up looking and never had a problem. One washer can easily work for a dozen oil changes, or more.

quote:

I also want to say that I think a copper crush washer on an aluminum oil pan is not so kosher.

Yeah I wondered about that too. Is there a risk of some kind of galvanic reaction? Would that cause any problems?

Maybe I am just cheap, but I simply flip the washer every oil change. I haven't replaced one in quite some time. YMMV.

quote:

Originally posted by scrabbler:
I hate paying my dealer an extra $1 for a single crush washer. Surely this thing costs pennies. Where can I get them cheap and easy?
Thanks!

Well, they were 52 cents each, from a VW/Audi dealer in Wisconsin.
smile.gif

I was off by 10%, my Volvo dealer charges $1.10 for the crush washer, and says to not use copper.

One of my Honda dealers once gave me about 8 of them for free after purchasing an oil filter and some antifreeze. My Toyota dealer charged me 1 buck per washer. It's hit or miss I guess :~)

Chrysler uses a hard rubber washer that seems to be part of the plug. GM has a o-ring looking thing on their plug. If you know the thread pitch and bolt size, I can check to see if it matches what I have and I'll let ya know if any of these plugs will work in your application.
cheers.gif

Seriously why do manufactorers rely on a washer to seal the drain plug? On my GM cars the threads always do the sealing, and on the 15mm plugs they use a rubber o-ring-style seal. I've noticed that on most other cars the plug will leak unless fully tightened(makes a mess changing the oil).

Is it poor tolerances in the plug or the pan?

-T

I purchased a bag of washers from the honda dealer.

Came to .13 or less a washer. I now have enough washers for a fleet of hondas.

As an experiment, I'm going to try reusing them for as long as possible.

quote:

Originally posted by Curtis Newton:
Maybe I am just cheap, but I simply flip the washer every oil change. I haven't replaced one in quite some time. YMMV.

I can't remember the last time I replaced one, if ever. I change the oil on 6 cars...

It may be a bit ocd, but I use a torque wrench and have never had any issues. My 97 w/ 125K miles has the original washer.....

Dave

if the dealer was smart they'd mark up the filter the cost of the washer then "throw it in for free". then you'd be happy cause you got it for "free". my local mazda dealer gives the washers away with each filter and it makes me happy
fruit.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back