Wal-mart windshield washer fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now is the time to stock up at $0.94.

They are phasing out the winter formula for the summer blend which contains less alcohol and more water.

The winter version has more alcohol/cleaning power.

If you want you can dilute the winter mix for cheaper fluid (since it reccomends 1 part winter mix with 2 parts water for the summer months regardless). I'm using 1:1 winter:water mix.

Just lettin ya know.

Ive heard that some winter formulations contain cleaners, and other agents, like glycogin or something like that... Is there any way to know if this fluid contains nothing but distilled water, methanol, and dye? Thats what Im looking for.. thanks.

I make my own. ~one gallon of clean water+ one cup white viniger+one cup of isopropal alcohal + 4 drops of dishwashing liquid. Works great with no film and doesn't take off wax if you spill it on paint.

wal-mart fluid is cheap, it only contains water alcohol and dye.

sorry to bump and old thread, but here in Manteca, and pretty much all California (except type A areas), Walmart will not let me buy the winter formula of the washer fluid. It has been recalled and thats all the counter people told me and all the counter people were told from the recall.

I believe it has to do with the VOCs in the winter blend, which are higher than 20% to achieve the -20 degrees freeze protection. The summer has less than 1% VOC, per CARB restrictions.

Its been freezing cold every day for the past week here in manteca, and I hate frost in the morning. My summer stuff is either frozen, or doesnt do anything to the frost. I will be going snowboarding and skiing this winter too, so this sucks big time.

quote:

I make my own. ~one gallon of clean water+ one cup white viniger+one cup of isopropal alcohal + 4 drops of dishwashing liquid. Works great with no film and doesn't take off wax if you spill it on paint.

I make my own brew, too. My ingredient list may read a little different, though.
wink.gif

I always add one or the other kind of denatured alcohol, even in the summer, and once it happened to me that I squirted my windshield right before a cop decided to pull me over for speeding. He smelled the alcohol and wanted to know if I had been drinking!

quote:

Originally posted by Eddie:

Likely works great in Florida. In colder areas, a drop or 2 of glycol antifreeze prevents the outlet from freezing up. As the water and alcohol evaporate, the glycol becomes more concentrated keeping the end from being plugged up with ice. There isn't enough glycol to hurt anything. One down side of the IPA, is that in the coldest weather, again you get enough of it in to keep it from freezing, it doesn't cut the salt very well. You guys in the South miss all the fun.

I buy the winter fluid and spike it with a bit more alhocol for the cold weather. Pick up the "ice melt" stuff in march when it's practically free, then save it for winter.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by ChrisW:
sorry to bump and old thread, but here in Manteca, and pretty much all California (except type A areas), Walmart will not let me buy the winter formula of the washer fluid. It has been recalled and thats all the counter people told me and all the counter people were told from the recall.

I believe it has to do with the VOCs in the winter blend, which are higher than 20% to achieve the -20 degrees freeze protection. The summer has less than 1% VOC, per CARB restrictions.

Its been freezing cold every day for the past week here in manteca, and I hate frost in the morning. My summer stuff is either frozen, or doesnt do anything to the frost. I will be going snowboarding and skiing this winter too, so this sucks big time.

It is probably known to cause cancer by the state of California, just like about every other product on the market.
smile.gif
Those labels crack me up.

quote:

Originally posted by HEV:
How funny. I was researching a Carolina BBQ sauce recipe and accidentally blocked and copied the recipe into my last post. If anyone tries it, let me know if its good.
cheers.gif

Works good, just don't get it on your paint
grin.gif

Cuts road film even better than Bull Durham tobacco. Does take a while to buff off the glass though.

[ December 02, 2004, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: XS650 ]

Kelly Bros food is tasting ok the last couple times I went. I haven't had their beer yet, but I hear its quite good. They are getting an oatmeal stout soon.

With the exception of this last week or so, here in Fresno, it only freezes a dozen or so days a year. So, I use my own mixture. Which is, Squeegee window cleaner concentrate. Works great.

Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce
3/4 cup yellow mustard
3/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

In a medium saucepan, combine ingredients, stirring to blend. Over low heat, simmer 30 minutes.
Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before using.

ChrisW. How is Kelly Brothers tasting lately?

How funny. I was researching a Carolina BBQ sauce recipe and accidentally blocked and copied the recipe into my last post. If anyone tries it, let me know if its good.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back