How to clean outside of radiator/condenser?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Summer heat is coming and I was wondering – what's the best method to clean radiator’s form bugs, leaves, small stones, and etc. I've looked at my radiator fins and it seems like there are few small stones and some other minor stuff was stuck. Many manufacturers suggest that you clean outside radiator at least once a year.

How do I clean radiator fins from debris and dirt without damaging radiator and its fins? Is there some special tool some of you use or something? It seems like I have to remove radiator grille to reach most of the radiator's surface. Do you have any tips on how to make this job a little easier and more efficient? I'm sure that most of us here could use your advice.

I was also wondering how to clean condenser’s surface. I know that debris have to be removed. I also heard that there is some kind of fluid which kills bacteria on condenser and keeps it fresh and clean. Can you give some information/advice on how to perform this cleaning as well.

Thank you,

[ April 10, 2004, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Titanium_Alloy ]

It involves some time, and removing the rad, but it's the best way.

1.) Remove radiator (you know, drain it, unhook it, unbolt it, etc)
2.) Spray your favorite degreaser onto it. Not oven cleaner! I like Simple Green (it smells nice!).
3.) Let it soak for a little bit to break up the bugs and such.
4.) From the BACKSIDE...BACKSIDE! rinse gently with water from the BACKSIDE! Which side? BACKSIDE.
5.) Take a small screwdriver and carefully pry out any little rocks and bugs. Don't bend any fins. If the fins are bent, take the time to gently bend them back into place. Don't break any fins.
6.) Hook it back up and fill it.

I think eastwoodcompany sells a radiator fin alignment tool, but I'm sure you can figure it out with a small flathead screwdriver.

Which side do you rinse from?

and remember, if you have a/c, it's condensor is in front. But if it's fins are clogged, you need to clean them too.

Most practical way I have found is taking the front grill off, and just using a toothpick to flick out the small bugs/rocks from the radiator/condensor grills...also use the vac extension (thin/flat) to vac out between the radiator and condensor if there is a buildup of debris between them..
Down south, with the love-bugs.....just get a new one every year!
cheers.gif

If OSHA isn't looking over your shoulder, just blast it from the back with an air hose. Just watch your eyes., maybe wear goggles.

quote:

4.) From the BACKSIDE...BACKSIDE! rinse gently with water from the BACKSIDE! Which side? BACKSIDE.

Yep!
cheers.gif
backside...

I cleaned a 18 year old rad. However rinsing wasn't gentle... I lay it flat on four spray-can caps, of course backside upwards, this way water and dirt leaves it freely. I boil the water, take a stool nearby the radiator and stand on with hot water in hand. Then pour it from somewhere as much elevated as I can. Neighbours may give some strange stares but this way the water will have some kinetic gut.

BTW, thermal shock might be a problem however I didn't experience any ill effects.

you guys are too gentle with the cleaning. i pressure clean my rads with a 3000 psi pressure cleaner set to wide fan spray. it removes all of the dirt, corrosion and bugs from between the fins, and does not bend the fins so long as you have a relatively straight shot at th rad, and not cleaning it from a sideways angle.

most rads are made out of metal and tough plastic, you can apply some force to them without ill effects. its not like they are as fragile as a piece of paper afterall.

On a related note, I urge everyone with an open-style grille to add 1/4" hardware cloth in front of the a/c condenser to protect it from rock damage. If you've ever taken notice of how much damage there is on a condenser sitting that close to the ground, you'd appreciate the added protection of a coarse screen. One good rock can put a hole into the condenser, costing hundreds to repair. When you install it make sure it stands at least an inch away from the condenser. This is typically the only "mod" I do to my cars.

On an related note to the unrelated note...

My dad hit a pheasant and it's beak went through the AC condensor. Then it got stuck there. He didn't notice it until he got to the bar after work. He then pulled it out and laid it next to the tire.

When he left the bar he goes out and the pheasant is gone! You know you're a redneck if you steal other people's roadkill...

Last afternoon while driving I thought: Is it a good idea to use vacuum cleaner to get debris out from condenser? I could probably use a more powerful one at the gas station and then borrow a small hand held which plugs into car's lighter outlet. I'm sure that method wouldn't get all the stuff out but at least it can do the job easier. In the case it works I would have to manually remove much less debris thus saving time and paitience.

What do you think on this? Will it work?

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back