Opinions On Aero-Turbine Mufflers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take a look at these mufflers... Aero-Turbine Mufflers
They are supposed to increase HP and MPG by extracting the exhaust gases through the muffler. The theory seems sound to me; it's the same Bernoulli effect that an airplane wing has.

I saw the "Two Guys Garage" episode that's mentioned in the website, and the dyno test did show a horsepower and torque increase.....
dunno.gif

quote:

One technician stated "I have yet to see an engine that made more power with a muffler than an open header exhaust."

Must not be looking very hard. Most engines that aren't built for it will have much less HP with open headers due to the decreased backpressure...

Flowmaster uses a similar theory while cancelling sound. Looks like a concical flowmaster to me. I guess the patent office didn't agree ???

[ April 01, 2004, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

quote:

Originally posted by TheLoneRanger:
Thanks for the replies, guys. So what would you recommend? A Flowmaster? Moroso Spiral Flow?

I'm looking for something to replace the clunky muffler on my Explorer, that must weigh 40 lbs or more. Maybe with one that's more efficient, but still fairly quiet with a nice mellow tone.....?

Some of the Toyota guys I know have tried a lot of different mufflers. The summary I've seen says -

If you don't mind the extra noise, the Flowmaster 50 series SUV is good.

For less noise the Dynomax Super Turbo...

Why not go with a magnaflow or a dynomax ultra-flow. They are straight through/perforated core, not louvered core, so they flow exactly as good as a straight pipe, but sound AWESOME! They sound even better with a small perforated core resonator. Most power and best sound for your money IMO. I had a magnaflow set-up on my Grand Am and it sounded great. I had a dynomax ultra flow on my old Talon and it too sounded superb. Most dyno-test's I've seen show Flowmasters to not produce as much power as perforated core straight through mufflers.

Thanks for the replies, guys. So what would you recommend? A Flowmaster? Moroso Spiral Flow?

I'm looking for something to replace the clunky muffler on my Explorer, that must weigh 40 lbs or more. Maybe with one that's more efficient, but still fairly quiet with a nice mellow tone.....?

OK, I've researched the above mentioned mufflers, and learned a lot in the process. It seems that every manufacturer has their own design; straight-through, turbos, baffled, glas-packed, etc.

What about the Cherry Bomb types? They are straight-through, perforated pipe, with a packing material to absorb noise. Back in the day, they had a reputation of being loud, but with a catalytic converter in front maybe they wouldn't sound too bad.....any thoughts?

"cherrybomb" style mufflers, are surprisingly restrictive, and very very loud. They are easily outperformed by virtually every other muffler on the market.

Stay away from louvered core straight through mufflers and go with perforated core. You can find some perforated core cherry bombs, but most are louvered.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm now looking at the Hooker Aero Chamber muffler. It's a fairly new straight-through design, scavenges the gas flow, is quiet, and sells for under $60.

Anyone know anything about these?
Thanks.
Don

Thanks for the reply on the Hooker, sbc350gearhead. (There's no question on what you drive.
grin.gif
) I'm looking to replace the stock Muffler on my Explorer V-6. I want something with less restriction than stock, yet still fairly quiet at cruise to keep the wife happy. The Hooker Aero Chamber seems to be the best of both worlds, and I'm almost ready to order one to try.

Everyone's suggestions have been helpful. Thanks a lot.
cheers.gif

Thanks for all the help on this muffler question. I installed the Hooker Aero Chamber, and it does sound sweeeeeeet.
smile.gif
It has a deep mellow tone and is not extremely loud at all. The throttle response is noticeably improved.

The Hooker is a very well-built muffler, with a heavy-wall steel case and all welded seams. I'm checking the fuel mileage this week, and will post back with the results....hoping for a 1 or 2 mpg gain.....
cool.gif

Just thought I'd post back the mpg results, in case anyone's interested. After about 10 tankfulls, I'm getting a solid 1-2 mpg increase with the Hooker Aero Chamber (mixture of city and highway driving). This is with a muffler change only, and no other modifications. I haven't had it on a long trip yet, but I'd expect even better results on the highway, maybe an extra 3-4 mpg......

The Hooker is an excellect muffler, and I'd recommend it to anyone that wants increased performance without a high noise level.

The Aero-Turbine mufflers work, [form people I know that installed them].
It's not that engine like backpressure, it's that they like velocity, and complete cylinder fillind and purging. Putting on a larger diameter exhaust system results in the gasses cooling off more downstream, then they contract, become more dense,and restrict flow and velocity. Wrapping your headers and/or pipes with insulation will help retain the heat, and make a larger exhaust retain your low end power, by keeping the velocity up.
You would think a larger diameter pipe would flow better, but at low RPMs, because of cooling/contraction, they are restrictive! That's why low end suffers so often when you open up the exhaust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back