Sludge in oil fill and cap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Jim Spahr:
Is this 4.7 L Dodge Dakota engine the same V8 engine used in the Jeep Cherokee V8? If so, it was the basis for the Jeep Liberty 3.7L V6. Are both the Jeep V8 and the V6 versions having this problem?

Yes to all.

-T

cool.gif
Glad I read this and the other link. Changed oil in my Astro this weekend and white stuff inside the cap. After breathing into a paper bag to calm down and checking BITOG, I'm okay now.
grin.gif
Oil filler neck IS about 3' long since it's a van, hence condensation.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
If you've got the 4.3L, they are known to blow intake gaskets as well. Had two of them go in our family.

cool.gif
Yes, could be. I can't figure out where the crud on the block is coming from. I put new valve cover gaskets on in Dec. but it still looks wet.

quote:

Originally posted by Hubjeep:

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
That is not normal. White milky foam is normal. Your Foam apears to be orange in the photo! If your coolant is orange in color I suspect you have a leak!

In person it is yellow. When I shook the cap clear water droplets fell from it.

-John

I noticed this for the first time (actually the person changing the oil noticed it, I almost never pull the cap myself) in our 2000 Jeep GC 4.7L with over 100,000 miles. It was a thin layer of light yellow scum inside the cap and filler, which partly went away after driving awhile. You could also see water in the opening that leads to the PCV valve. I should note that the high temp today was in the 20s. It sounds from the discussion here that this might be "normal". How does one know for sure that there is no other problem? the oil on the dipstck appears normal. I imagine that it would also be wise to replace my PCV valve, as it is probably way overdue. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Seth

This time of year this type problem starts showing up. It's a good routine to clean out the breather tubes/hoses as well as cleaning out or replacing the pcv valve as well. I noticed that condensation in my oil fill neck last year, took off the breather tube and sprayed it out with carb cleaner and ran a coathanger through. Some gunk did come out and the condensation problem went away. I guess you could also wrap some insulation/towel around that neck too.

quote:

Originally posted by ZR2RANDO:
This time of year this type problem starts showing up. It's a good routine to clean out the breather tubes/hoses as well as cleaning out or replacing the pcv valve as well. I noticed that condensation in my oil fill neck last year, took off the breather tube and sprayed it out with carb cleaner and ran a coathanger through. Some gunk did come out and the condensation problem went away. I guess you could also wrap some insulation/towel around that neck too.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to replace the PCV valve and hose this weekend, and see if it recurs.

Seth

Having a 4.7L and found that "stuff" in to oil fill neck. By removing the stock mech. fan and replacing with a electric fan has help a lot with that. It allows the filler neck (FN) to warm up and do away with the build up. The old fan was blowing COLD air over the FN and causing the build up. True this did not stop at 100% but it did help. Other 4.7L owners have wraped the FN so it will stay warmer.

Oil sludge in filler neck.

Ele. Fan

quote:

Originally posted by Y2KOTA:
Having a 4.7L and found that "stuff" in to oil fill neck. By removing the stock mech. fan and replacing with a electric fan has help a lot with that. It allows the filler neck (FN) to warm up and do away with the build up. The old fan was blowing COLD air over the FN and causing the build up. True this did not stop at 100% but it did help. Other 4.7L owners have wraped the FN so it will stay warmer.

Oil sludge in filler neck.

Ele. Fan

Isn't that kind of fixing the result and not the cause. If the water is in the neck it can't be in the engine.

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
Isn't that kind of fixing the result and not the cause. If the water is in the neck it can't be in the engine.

IMHO, it's helping to correct a design weakness, and pretty ingenious, too. That filler neck is going to be the coldest part of the engine, where all the water will naturally condense. If you keep it warm, the water will stay in vapor form then migrate out through the PCV instead of collecting at the filler neck. I say good idea.

It doesn't hurt anything, so don't worry about it. There is a baffle form the dealer you can get for it. My 2003 Durango has the baffle and I see very little sludge in the neck.
cheers.gif

Comman issue that comes up this time of year on many of the Dakota, Ram & Darango boards. Here some ifno for you ...

(sorry , I must edit out the non sponsor Amsoil link)

[ January 03, 2005, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

You should be cleaning it out on a regular basis if you want room for more condensation to form. Otherwise your oil will load up with water. That's what happened to my air cooled Suzuki GS400. I was using it in the winter to take 2 km trips back and forth from University and after 700 km my oil would look like milk. You couldn't tell by checking the oil level. Anyway, I also started parking the bike inside at school instead of leaving it out in -30C temperatures. This helped a lot too.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back