White spark plugs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, little history on my car.

It's a 1994 Ford Aspire with a 1.3L I4. I bought it at 102k miles for $500. Some old lady had it before me and didn't take care of it. When I bought the ignition was stuck on acc and the key wouldn't come out, the exhaust was broken after the cat, the head gasket and intake gasket were so bad oil/coolant was one mixture, and several little dings here and there.

So I fixed the heat gasket, exhaust, etc. I was getting 40 mpg highway and 36 in the city.

Then things went bad. At one point I was down to 22 mpg. Switching to AMSOIL jumped be back to 30 and I've been fighting ever since.

New plugs (twice now), new fuel filter, new tstat, new exhaust manifold to fix a leak, seafoamed twice now, etc etc etc.

It went 40 mpg to 33 overnight and steedily declined. I could get 35 mpg on the highway for a while if I did 55 and not 65 or 70.

I can finally get 32 to 35 mpg now. However, my spark plugs are white. I know I'm not burning coolant because my UOA shows no water/coolant in my oil. I had 2.5% fuel after 4053 miles.

I did a compression check and cylinder #3 has low compression due to bad rings. However, all 4 plugs are white as a ghost.

http://home.mchsi.com/~xetornnad/plugs.jpg

That's after about 7000 miles. I just put in new plugs. I went with a heat range colder. So far I've only gotten to check my MPG once and it wasn't far because it was super windy. I got 27 mpg on the highway, but I had to keep it on the floor just to do 65. =) Poor little car.

Alright, so do you think the injectors are dirty and just not closing all the way? Something else? Anything else? The engine now has almost 117k miles on it. It's a mazda engine that usually lasts near 300k miles, but mine wasn't treated nicely by the old lady.

I've put maybe 5 bottles of Techron though it in the past 6000 or 7000 miles. No change.

Your white spark plug tips usually indicate a lean burn condition. This may also be normal for that engine as lean burn means less polution and the car may be set up that way. That doesn't coincide with your poor gas mileage though. The plugs should have a slightly brownish color to them I would think especially if a lot of fuel is going through there. May be time to have a mechanic plug into the computer to see what's been going on.

I couldn't remember if white was lean or rich.

So it could be that the injectors are clogged. It's ODBI (not II) and no CEL is on. =(

White spark plugs may also denote water in the fuel. Did the car sit a long time and accumulate water in the fuel tank?

Nope, I put on about 1500 to 2000 miles a month. 7000 miles ago or so the spark plugs were white. That's why I changed them.

I knew white plugs meant either wrong heat range or it was rich/lean (now I know it's lean).

Now I have to figure out why. 5 bottles of techron made no difference. I just don't get how all 4 could be bad.

Oh yeah, I'm on my 2nd new O2 sensor in the past 6 months. When I changed the exhaust manifold I couldn't get the one with 5000 miles out of it. So I had to get another one. =) So it's not the o2 sensor's fault.

Maybe this thread should go to the Mechanical Tips and Help thread, but have you checked the EGR valve? If stuck open or partially open, it may show up as lean mixtures and poor driveability performance.

I have the same motor in my '91 Festiva. It currently has 170k on it and the plugs are on the lean side. Have you changed the O2 sensor? I tried but cannot get the old one out. A new O2 sensor is only $25 at AZ.

Shoz, if you cannot get it out, try running the engine until it gets real good and hot, then shut down and start yankin' it out. They usually come out pretty easy then. hope that helps...

Thanks for moving it. It's already helping get more replies. I didn't even see this forum.

SHOZ, best way to get it out is to remove your exhaust manifold. It's much easier to work on out of the car. Plus you can clean it out. There's very little room to get a 20mm wrench down in there. You could also get the special O2 sensor socket.

Yes, I'm on my 2nd new O2 sensor.

Is the EGR the little flying saucer shaped thing? I need to clean the one on my Vic and I haven't even thought about doing it on the aspire.

I tried to check for vacuum leaks today, but either I couldn't find one or it didn't work. I was spraying carb cleaner all over the place.

White spark plugs could also be from running too many fuel additives. You said you ran 5 bottles of Techron in 6000-7000 miles. Did you run any fuel additives when you first got it, too? This would also explain why it is all 4 plugs that are white. Most potent fuel additives (Techron, BG, etc) only recommend running a bottle every so many miles. This overdose on additives, and the subsequent spark plug deposits, is one of the reasons why. With fuel additives (or any fluid additive), more is definitely not better.
Your mileage can be affected by so many different factors. I'd check all maintenance items (filters, oil, PCV valve, plugs, wires, cap/rotor, etc...) and then not run any additives in any fluid (that statement is not going to be popular on this board, as most here think they know more than the oil companies and can better their (oil company's) product). Also make sure you check tire pressure. Tires play a huge role in mileage. If you have a Haynes manual, see if there's a way to check your computer for codes. This could pinpoint a problem real easy.

Dave

I'm a gas mileageaholic man.

Tire pressure, never more than 1 psi off.

New fuel filter, plugs (obviously), air filters (now on an AMSOIL 2 stage), plug wires, PCV valve, I'm sure a few more things.

The white plugs predates the Techron. I used techron so often in hopes of cleaning the injectors if they were indeed clogged.

I believe ODBI will only show codes if the CEL is on. I'm not sure. Someone might know. It's a PITA to do, but only takes a paper clip and a pen and paper.

When I first got this car it got 18 mpg. I managed to get 40 out of it for 6 months. Headgasket was a huge part of it. My $7 home depot custom cold air intake netted me about 5 mpg on the highway. The PCV netted 2!

But you're thinking and helping with the brainstorming so I appreciate your input. Tomorrow I think I'll drive for an hour or two and then check my mileage. Maybe I'll even pull the new plug and see if a heat range colder is still white. If it's white then we know it's a lean problem.

Any chance that you can give a straight on view of those plugs ..as in having them sit inside a socket and looking down at the tip? From that view ..they look like typical good burning plugs. On some engines I can even see where the intake steam is crossing the plug (I don't index my plugs). It leaves a "shadow" where the electrode shields the tip from the cooling of the intake charge if you have it facing the "wrong" way (downstream as opposed to facing the incoming intake stream). Seeing that this condition has been a constant @ 40 mpg ...and 27 mpg ..I don't think the plugs are the problem ..nor do they appear to indicate (as in evidence) one.

The difference in fuel consumption allows for you to pay for a diagnostic without feeling "taken".

The plugs went white when the gas mileage went down. So it's been a problem ranging from about 35 down to 22 and back to 35.

I've already thrown away the spark plugs. I don't have a picture of that angle, but I do have one that is closer up.

http://home.mchsi.com/~xetornnad/plugs2.jpg

Anyone want to give me better instructions on finding a vacuum leak than, "Spray carb cleaner everywhere"?

Doh, edit time is up.

I had my exhaust worked on not too long ago and the guy said the cat wasn't overheating or showing any signs that it's bad or clogged.

It sounds like something is wrong, but I wouldn't worry about the plugs too much. Every newer vehicle that I have seen plugs come out of have been white colored. I think that the computer controlled engines are setup to run pretty lean.

Maybe your Mass Airflow Sensor is going flakey. Sometimes cleaning it with alcohol will bring the sensor back to life, but maybe it just needs replacing. I think OBD will only light up until the MAF is totally dead. Perhaps yours is close to the end of its life, but not dead yet.

I cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner right after my mileage started going down in August.

I'm halfway through my cleaning phase with AutoRX and I cleaned my EGR valve. So far mileage is up a few MPG between the two. I haven't pulled a plug yet to see if the new ones are white.

I may never get 40 mpg again, but I'll be happy if I break 37. 2 of the last 3 tanks of gas I got 35+ mpg.

The other tank I got 21.1 mpg because I was driving into a 20 mph headwind for nearly 3 hours with the gas to the floor doing 65. LOL. 63 hp isn't much when it's windy.

The engine/plugs may be fine. If there is no code set or other indication of malfunction ( mis-fire etc ) there may be something else that is causing an intermittant
mileage problem. If the car was that abused, I would jack up each wheel and have an assistant cycle the brakes and check for a hanging/sticking caliper or shoe,rusted pads, bad springs/return hardware on the rear etc. The brake lines and master cylinder should probably be flushed. Trash and contamination in the lines will work in and out of the calipers and cause all kind of headaches. I have had two beaters do this to me, and it drove me crazy until I checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back