Brake Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
cool.gif
Any input on what brake pads leave less dust and residue than others? I'm going to put new ones on my wife's car. She bought it used so I don't know what's on it now. For some reason the left front wheel is always dirtier than the right though. I was thinking of AC's since it's a GM. Thanks.

Mintex has a pretty good rep. I just put a set on my car. They work great, but I can't really assess how dusty they are because of it's winter and my car is normally covered in road crud....

I've found that most of the cheaper pads generate alot of dust. I went with the higher priced pads(Raybestos PG+) on my wife's car last time, and they seem to have less dust. I've heard Ceramics would be best though.

-T

Try the Akebono ACTs (Akebono Ceramic Technology) I have them on a heavy SUV and was quite surprised. They have alot of stopping power and feel, plus lots less dust. Olympic Auto Parts carries most fitments, especially Japanese apps.

Im giving EBC Greenstuff pads a try. Pepboys now carres them. They are a kevlar composite with no iron or carbon. They stop real nice. Stock German pads made lots of black dust and ate the rotors.

I've always had good luck with Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads. Inexpensive and come with a lifetime warrantty from AutoZone. Main caveat is that rotor finish is critical with them. Stay away from the "Z-Rated" pads. They are super pads, but dust badly and eat rotors.

If low dust is your priority, ceramics are the way to go. Again, rotor finish is critical though...

IMO, The ceramic pads are worth the price. They last 2 to 3x longer than carbon, carbon/metallic pads & do not dust or gunk up your caliper slides like cheap pads do. I've seen ceramic pads go close to 100Kmi.
G/luck
Joel

I used to buy the cheapest pads available for my mini van. Last time I bought the Performance Friction brand at Auto Zone for about $35 per set and they have lasted for a phenomenal amount of miles. Less dust, no rotor warpage (better heat dissipation?). I will use them again when this set wears out - free because they have a lifetime warranty and Autozone keeps yours purchase proff on their computor - no receipt required.

I'm digging my Perforamance Friction. The price was nice at Autozone (compared to the Raybestos) and they don't dust as much as i worried.

ferb!

axxis a.k.a. repco brake pads are good. ive used both the organic and metal master pads and both provided superior braking over those $20 pads from kragen or autozone.

I used a set of performance friction pads on my truck, and although I liked the stopping ability.......They dusted way too much for my taste.......alot worse than the OEM pads. I replaced them with titanium ti pads, and they perform exactly the same, but with less dust.

quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:
Im giving EBC Greenstuff pads a try. Pepboys now carres them. They are a kevlar composite with no iron or carbon. They stop real nice. Stock German pads made lots of black dust and ate the rotors.

I agree 100%. Another vote for EBC Greenstuff pad
patriot.gif
I bought mine from TireRack

quote:

Originally posted by shortyb:
Try the Akebono ACTs (Akebono Ceramic Technology) I have them on a heavy SUV and was quite surprised. They have alot of stopping power and feel, plus lots less dust. Olympic Auto Parts carries most fitments, especially Japanese apps.

I put on a set of Akebone, great pads, ceramic, less dust and no noise. Remember that they have two lines, the ACT and the PRO-ACT, not sure what the difference is but I had originally paid for the ProACT and was shipped the lower priced ACT.

quote:

ceramics $74.

Around $55-65 here for my wife's TJ. She said, "Spend the money!! I pay at least that much for wheel cleaner in between the time that you change them.". As you can see SHE cleans her Jeep
smile.gif

So I did ...as much as I cringed at the price.

I use the Performance Frictions in the same application as VaderSS and I like them a lot, dust is not bad but ceramics will dust less. You want a good overall pad at a reasonable price the FPs are a good way to go, for absolute minimum dust at a higher price ceramic is good.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news guys. "Life Time Gurantee" on a wear part like friction material is not a gurantee that they will not wear out! They are not going to replace them when you wear them out. THe gurantee is against defective workmanship. SO if they crack, de-laminate, tear off, backing plate warps or the advise lets go etc they will replace them.

JohnBrowning,

Don't tell that to the guys at Autozone, or they might ask me to start paying for the worn out Performance pads that I exchange every time there - for free!

If you doubt me, CALL THEM. I just did to make sure they didn't change their lifetime warrantee - free replacement for WORN OUT pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back