Do the exhaust gasket "donuts" have asbestos in them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was doing the exhaust in my beater this weekend, and this question was dogging me. I've used the sander to clean the old gasket off in the past (which would be bad if they had asbestos in them). the gaskets I'm talking about are the ones that are grey/silvery with metal inside.

Might. Was banned in 1989 but reversed in 1991. EPA lists about ten things like friction materials, gaskets, linings, brake components still allowed to have asbestos.

Wonder if for liability reasons, manufacturers have moved away from asbestos even if it's legal.

Nor do i claim to be an expert in asbestosis, but cleaning the donut gasket (even IF asbestos) once or twice in a lifetime shouldn't result in asbestosis. I wouldn't do it without a nice N95+ mask.

Heck, i don't even cut the lawn without an N95. No sense in the nose irritation or coughing.

ferb!

I know this post is old, but here are a few things I have observed.... You did not mention the type of car.

Grey paste like 'gasket' is probably aluminumn antiseize paste mixed with clay, and impregnated into stainless steel netting, like a pot scrubber.

Now most cars use Teflon paste in the pot scrubber(white) but will turn grey as it is going to absorb exhaust.

Asbestos is not, per se, a carcinogenic material and unless the item that contains it is mishandled, I wouldn't worry very much about it.

I do some work with experts on toxic exposure cases and asbestos is in a number of things but it would be incorrect to assume that inhalation of a single asbestos fiber inevitably leads to a carcinogenic reaction. Everyone is different and it takes inhalation of more than one fiber to cause illness but if there is inhalation of more than one fiber it cannot be stated to a medical certainty that cancer is the inevitable result.

An example would be some floor tiles that contain asbestos but unless they are removed there is little to be concerned with. The same can also be said of some interior ceilings.

Unless the material is mishandled, such as running your hand across the surface to remove the material you should be fine.

The only thing to be concerned about is friable asbestos. That's loose fibers that are airborne and get into your respiratory system. Then, if you breath lots of it, you could get mesothemlomia (sp??). I mean, I'm talking working in an asbestos mine for years to get this.
On floor tiles, usually the little 9x9 tiles have asbestos in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back