Anybody know how to connect my OBDII computer to my laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a "new" '96 cherokee with the OBDII computer. Does anybody know what I need to do/buy to be able to hook my laptop up to it to read the codes?

I believe you still need an OBII scanner ..but most scanners have an optional PC hookup. I believe you're still looking at $350-400 for the scanner.

You know it wouldn't be that easy
nono.gif
grin.gif

I have the one I posted for $88.00. It works great on my 2003 Honda Accord. I think it was design by an EE for her own use or hobby then she decited to sell it. It is home made but very good for my use. The software works good. but you can tell it it is home made. I think the parts cost only less then $50.00 so you are paying for the firmware she developed for the microprocessor which converts the ODB II interface to RS232. The nice thing about this interface is that it supports all 3 hardware interfaces (microprocessor, GM, Ford) .

A different one I found for about $120.00 only supports one of the interfaces so you would have to get 3 different ones to support all 3 OBDII hardware types interface.

I recomend the one for $88.00

I'm not an expert on ODB II. I only know what I read on the internet. Do a google on OBD to get more info.

PS
You can download the software before getting the hardward to see how it looks.

[ January 04, 2004, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: MikeySoft ]

Thanks for those posts! I have been considering getting a scanner for a while, and the one with the laptop interface looks too good to be true. Does anyone have experience with this software? I appreciate any advice (2002 Toyota Sienna).

quote:

Originally posted by oilcanboyd:
all you need a is paper clip to check engine light codes on my civic.

Yeah, in my jeep all you need to do is turn the key 3 times to get the codes, but you can do ALOT of other fun things with a laptop hooked up.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by oilcanboyd:

quote:

Yes, but can you clear the code from memory or look at the freeze frame?

i dont get it?
confused.gif

do you mean how do i know what code it is or how do i reset the ecu?

He means that you can't reset whatever is wrong nor can you look at live information from all the sensors.

A friend of mine bought an OBDII software kit/cable for his Turbo Beetle. Very cool! Using his laptop with a wireless network adapter he could read an error code and wirelessly send the printout to the printer in his house. Saved him money more than a few times.

Mikep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back