4L60 and 700R4, are they the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
I'm curious if these two trannies are the same, just with different names? I know they share the same ratios, and some f-body friends of mine seem to think they are virtually identical trannies, just with different names.

The 4L60E is the electronic version of the 700-R4. I have been told that the 4L60 is an upgraded 700-R4.

I can contact my tranny shop tomorrow and find out for sure.

My understanding is that the 700R4 and the 4L60 are virtually the same, although there are year to year variations even when the name remains constant. The 4L60E adds electronic shift control, which radically changes the valve body, if not other areas.

The reason I ask is because on another forum someone asked which tranny came in their 1993 Formula and someone said it was the 700R4, but I said they were wrong, that it was the 4L60, and then in 1994 it got the electronics and was renamed the 4L60E. But this person claims the 700R4 and 4L60 are one in the same. I've heard others mention this in the past too. But why would they rename it like that if it's the same trans?

GM went to that numbering system earlier, like ~1990 (I know at least in 1992). The first digit is number of speeds, the L or T means Longitudinal or Transverse, and the last two digits are a torque capacity with bigger=more. An "E" suffix means it's electronically controlled. They might have put the electronics behind one engine before they did the other?

There's a rumor of a "light duty" 700R4/4L60(E) in S10s with smaller engines-- weaker clutch packs or somesuch.

PAtman,

I spoke with the Transmission shop I work with and they confirmed eljifino's remarks.

From 1990 on, the 4L60E is an electronic version of the 700-R4 with some upgrades.

They also stated that some transmission rebuilders re-engineer the 4L60E to make it more reliable and durable than the earlier versions. I was also told that the recent GM GoodWrench replacement 4L60E transmissions have the durability upgrades as well.

My current '92 Burb is now running one of those GoodWrench 4L60E transmissions with Schaeffer's 204S.

Thanks guys! Hopefully my 4L60E lasts a long time. It's still in extremely good condition at 95k, and I'm going to do an Auto-rx treatment to it this spring to be sure it lives as long as possible. Ideally I'd like it to last 5 more years, which is about how long I'll have this car before I get a C5 Corvette (which will also have the same 4L60E tranny in it too)

I looked in the service manual for my 2003 CTS. It has a 5L40-E transmission. Here's what it says:
Transmission type: 5 - 5 forward gears
Transmission type: L - longitude Mount
Transmission type: 40 - product series
Transmission type: E - electronic controls
Position quadrant - P,R,N,D,4,3,2
Case material - Die cast aluminum
Transmission weight dry - 161 lb
Max gross vehicle weight - 7,716 lb
This car has not only a engine oil life sensor, but also an ATF life sensor. After 9,000 mi the sensor still says, "100% life remaining." The transmission has no dipstick. It looks like changing the fluid is almost impossible for a do it yourselfer. The owner's manual says under normal service it is a lifetime fill. Under severe service it should be changed at 50,000 mi.
patriot.gif

In 1993 I bought a new S-10 4x4 that had the 4L60E. All the literature that I read at the time, indicated that 93 was the first year for the "E" version of the 4L60, at least in the S-10's and fullsize trucks.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back