cleaning a o2 sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
how would i go about cleaning an o2 sensor...im not putting up any codes or anything, i just want a little more from my 12 year old o2 sensors on my 1991 honda accord with 178k.

i heard about torching it...can i just clean it with some liquid?

mainly i want the exaust one done, i have obd1 so i think i only have 2 o2 sensors

I did not know you could clean them. Wife's Chevy Blazer is throwing a DTC on Bank 1, Sensor 1. Sure would be nice just to clean it and not have to spend $50 on a new sensor and $15 for the tool.

The clean will only last for a very short time. If your mileage is down enough for you to be paying attention to it, then you need a new O2 sensor. The liquid will gum up the sensor, and you will end up with a flaky car.

I tried this out of curiosity on my cars. I used several very strong cleaners, and still ended up with a flaky car. Install new sensors, boom! Runs great.

WHen you look at how important a properly function O2 sensor is they are cheap! You usualy get a minimum of 50000-60000 miles out of them.

thanks dudes...my o2 sensor costs 145....not cheap...and thats auto zone...not honda oem

but my gas milage is pretty good, yet i cant tell cause i like the WOT effect =)

WOT with a bad trans?
nono.gif

Its best to replace the oxygen sensor http://www.oxygensensors.com/ seems to have good prices for your year. I got a bosch at autozone for like 70 bux for myc ar, and borrowed the tool, got the money back for the tool when i returned it. My sensor wasnt throwing any bad codes either, its a 95 civic with 120k miles at the time (7 months ago or so)

It's quite a ***** to remove the sensor since its been sitting there for years and years. But PB blaster and a torque wrench with a long handle did it, also twisted my cheap extension piece haha. Dumb angle how they do the civic O2 sensor for 92-95!

Drifter, if you can solder you can usually can get a non-specific one that fits and just use the Honda specific connector. A friend just replaced one for his Legend for $18 this way thru Autozone.

He found that it is easier to cut the old one and use a deep socket to wrench on it as the O2 sockets are not strong enough for removal. Use the O2 socket for installation. He also recommended PB blaster.

On OBD1 there should only be one o2 sensor and the ECU will throw a code if it is broken and also a Check Engine or PGM-FI light. If you are not getting bad mileage or idling problems and eliminated other issues, I'd leave it alone.

I have two, and OBD1. One on each bank of my V6. The rear one has about 180,000 miles but the front one has about 60,000 miles.

As long as you keep your car in good tune, don't use too much additives and not burning oil, then it should be good for a long time.

Ive read that citric acid is quite safe to clean O2 sensors.

PM if you want more information.

quote:

Originally posted by digitaldrifter91:
thanks dudes...my o2 sensor costs 145....not cheap...and thats auto zone...not honda oem

but my gas milage is pretty good, yet i cant tell cause i like the WOT effect =)

Mine cost more than that at the dealer it was 187
at O'Riley it was 147, at Autoizone they said 127 on the phone but well... turns out to be 154
and Nappa and the others about the same...
Bap-Geon lists at 154.00 but will discount.
Been there done that...

I get mine over the next / phone from the net.
From a shop, here in Texas and they are super on cost and fast on shipping and can help with a lot of problems in general... they are up in the fort worth area and have done me right so far.
Just ordered and got my front o2 cost 94.39
part number 89465-39735, their list is 125.60
If you wanna know the number PM me and I will e-mail.

quote:

Originally posted by cangreylegend:
I have two, and OBD1. One on each bank of my V6. The rear one has about 180,000 miles but the front one has about 60,000 miles.

My rear one is original with 390565 miles
My front went on the other day and went off after awhile. Right now it's lazy I think is the term...
just as before, they I-M-experience, turn on, then off a couple times, then the gas milage gets bad and Click after about 2-3 tanks it come on and the MPG gets worse, IMO dead, this time, I am ready with my replacement and I will be changing it at about 400K of it doesnt die on its own.

The accord can use the generic Bosch 15734 which is also used on domestics I believe. Double check on "boschusa.com" web site. I think you'll find them a lot cheaper and just as good. If you can't solder, go ahead and crimp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back