91 Nissan Maxima trans fluid change tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 94 MAX with auto. FSM says Genuine Nissan Matic D, or Dexron IIe. You will not find IIe, it is now Dexron III. Called around some to get some advice, many think you are best sticking with the Nissan ATF in these trannys. Then I called Kaleb, who works at Courtsey Nissan down in Texas, knows next to everything about 3rd Gen Maxima's, and gives part discounts to Maxima.Org members. He works with one of the top three Nissan auto tranny guys in the country. He advises to use ONLY Nissan Matic-D in these trans.
No torque converter drain plug, only plug at the bottom front. Can disconnect tranny cooling line at rad if you want to go that route. Check out the Maxima.org site, many write-ups about it. How to flush automatic transmission fluid? What ATF to use? How to check the level?
Drain and fill from the drain plug will take 3.5 to 5 quarts. Measure what comes out, do not overfill.
No filter on these trannys, just a screen somewhere at the top where the valvebody is. Don't bother with it.
Hope this helps,
Take Care......

[ January 09, 2004, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: 94MaxGXE ]

My friend wants me to change his trans fluid in his 91 Maxima.Questions; What type fluid does it take? Is there a torque converter drain plug? How much fluid will it hold? Is the filter sold at local auto parts stores? This is my first import trans fluid change.Ive always changed my fluid and others,but in American made vehicles,so this is a bit of a change for me.Any help/tips are greatly appreciated.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back