Any danger using Engine Degreaser spray?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ken, just make sure you cover all of your electrical wires, battery, etc. If your car has an alternator or coil pack, make sure those are covered too. I have used either Schaeffer's Citrol or Rustoleum Degreaser. Joe

Joe - if all the electrical components are covered as you described, there would be not much left in the engine bay to clean.
confused.gif

Ken, depending on the product you are using...you need to be carefull. I usually use aluminum foil around the alternator because it stays put. Be carefull with heavy kerosene-containing products as the last one I used, "Gunk heavy-duty engine degreaser" stripped off some of my black intake manifold paint. Stick with gentler products. Never use a high pressure wash as it will force water where it shouldn't and wouldn't normally go. The engine should always be cold to start. Only use a gentle water wash. Start engine immediately after product use and let run to warm up and steam off the water (10-15 min). Then blot dry the rest. Use a "finishing" product after to keep the now cleaned rubber parts moist. I really love CD-2 engine cleaner/degreaser (kit containing both needed parts) in separate cans.

i never coverd the alternator or battery..just the distribitor cap. i spray at will lolz...i been doing that for about 12 years now...no problems yet.

Hi Ken4:

Posted on the Impala Forum:

Engine Cleaning/Detailing

by Gary Grant - HOTSS

1) On a hot/warm engine, spray the entire engine compartment down with Windex.
Close the cowl(hood) and wait @ 3-5 minutes.

2) Lift the cowl(hood) and mist the engine compartment with water. Now spray
the entire area with Armor All. Close the cowl and again wait 3-5 minutes.

3) Repeat the Windex and Armor All application again. Now, after the second
coat of Armor All, close up the engine compartment and wash and detail
the exterior of your car.

4)When you are finished, open the cowl(hood) and wipe down any excess Armor All.

Gentle, but effective. If your engine is really dirty you can use simple green instead of windex.

I would try these gentle cleaners before going to the harsh type like Gunk.

John

The problem with Simple Green is that it is an ionic solution and can cause electrical problems. I use the Gunk followed by the water rinse then 30 minutes of idling. After the engine is cooled I spray it all down with tire shine foam, let sit for 15 minutes then wipe it all off with a clean rag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back