Yet another GM intake gasket in my family!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. Just got the word from our Oldsmobile dealer that my Mom's Olds 88 has the problem. To add insult to injury, the entire crappy plastic upper intake plenum is warped and will be replaced
shocked.gif
I have one question for you 3.8L experts. The service writer indicated that the leak was at the upper intake gasket, mainly as a result of the warped plenum. I thought the gasket leaks were at the lower intake gasket. It's my understanding that there are no coolent passages through the upper intake plenum. I know for a fact that on 3.1L and 3.4L motors, that is the case and it is the "lower" gasket that fails. Anyone want to clarify for me just for my own sanity? At any rate, I caught it in time. He said that it was about to "blow" and just fill the crankcase with coolent; exactly what happened to my brother's 96 Jimmy.

[ August 01, 2003, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Drew99GT ]

I know this wont help you any but I just recived in the mail, a letter from Chevrolet stating they are haveing a problem with coolant leaks at the upper intake manifold to Throttle body gasket OR at the lower intake to upper intake gasket.The letter I recived was specific to the 3800 Series II (L36) V6 engines in 2000-2003 Impala's and Monte Carlo.

They went on to say that they will replace the throttle body fastners with redesigned fastners and add a cooling system sealant to the radiator tank.They said this service will be performed at no charge through July 31 2005.

I purchased my Impala in Feb of 2003 so it's still under warrentee.But at least they are now admitting that they have a problem with it....

Just this past weekend I replaced a intake manifold on a Lincoln Town Car due to a completely cracked coolant passage. This car uses a plastic intake manifold.

The replacement part cost $405 and the intake passage on the new manifold is now aluminum.

Most V shaped engines have coolent going through the intake manifold because the thermostat housing mounts on the intake manifold. There are outlet passages from the cylinder heads through the end of the intake where the housing sits.

Also, at least for the GM 3800, the EGR tube has to be cooled by engine coolent as it runs into the plastic manifold. That's where most of the problems are with the newer style 3800. Cheapness is everywhere when warrenty companies specifically have to include the freakin intake manifold under their policies
rolleyes.gif

the engineering behind a 2.8/3.1/3.4 vs a 3.8 is totally different - they both hav e crossovers however and they fail in diff ways for diff years

the real pains are the pre-94 2.8/3.1 as the factory gasket was 'unsupported' around the coolant and intake ports. next up is the 94-now 3.1 and 3.4 cause the plastic gasket 'boss' cracks at the bottom if the intake is not torqued down both sides AT THE SAME TIME - something almost no mechs do.

I am just hearing about the 3.8's - gm blew this one, they took the most reliable motor on the planet (so sayeth the SAE) and made some boneheaded .10 cent cost saving changes. real slick.

oh forgot to mention, the purpose of the crossover in a V engine in the rear was 'it was there' - the front is needed to gather up the coolant from both sides and ditch it to the radiator (under pressure from the pump) since the heads are interchangeable this means that unless you cast a head to have a crossover on diff sides depending on which side the head is to be installed - you have passages in the rear so many makers used them. problem is in engines like the chevy small block (consider now the coolant flow) - the coolant is pushed into the block on both sides on the front, it flows past all the cylinder jackets and is able to rise into the heads thru ports around all the cyliders, where it flows to the front of the head, into the front of the intake and out to the rad. well as u can imagine, the front cylinders have the shortest path and would be cooler, and the rear cyls would have the longest, ESPECIALLY if some coolant could languish in the rear crossover - so once engine temps rose due to emission crap etc, they ditched the rear passage by casting it out of the manifold. rear cyls still run a bit hotter so racers would restrict the coolant holes in the head gaskets for the front cyls, increasing in size as they get more towards the rear - the net effect was to more balance the motor (and then along came the LT1/LS1 which reverses coolant flow to heads first, allowing aluminum heads with high compression ratios)

Great explanation Quad! Can you explain why there is coolent running through the upper intake manifold on the 3.8L? The service writer explained that the leak on my Mom's car was between the upper and lower intakes at that particular gasket. I understood the intake gasket leaks to be occuring between the cylinder heads and the lower intake manifold. I thought coolent only runs through the lower intake manifold on GM V6s.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
Great explanation Quad! Can you explain why there is coolent running through the upper intake manifold on the 3.8L? The service writer explained that the leak on my Mom's car was between the upper and lower intakes at that particular gasket. I understood the intake gasket leaks to be occuring between the cylinder heads and the lower intake manifold. I thought coolent only runs through the lower intake manifold on GM V6s.
dunno.gif

well granted I have not had the pleasure of taking apart the tops of any MY '02-'03 3.8s yet, I cant imagine why coolant would be in the upper section - if it is, its a first. Of course, GM thottle bodies are liquid cooled around the EGR passage....but thats separate.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
Well, I just got the car back. I peeked into the oil fill cap only to find white condensed goo on the oil cap, and water sitting on top of the cylinder head as you look through the oil fill hole. Part of their procedure was to change the oil to get the coolent out, but they obviously didn't get it all. Every time I've pulled heads on a motor and coolent dribbled into lifter valler or cylinders, I've flushed it by just dumping clean oil over everything to make sure that no coolent iswhere it shouldn't be. Should I be concerned and take it back? Because before we had it worked on, there was no sign of coolent in the oil, just a regular steady drop in the coolent level. I'm sure that some coolent drained into the lifter valley when they puuled the intake off
dunno.gif
mad.gif

make sure everything is topped off and drive her very warm. any water up there should burn off as oil gets a flowing

Well, I just got the car back. I peeked into the oil fill cap only to find white condensed goo on the oil cap, and water sitting on top of the cylinder head as you look through the oil fill hole. Part of their procedure was to change the oil to get the coolent out, but they obviously didn't get it all. Every time I've pulled heads on a motor and coolent dribbled into lifter valler or cylinders, I've flushed it by just dumping clean oil over everything to make sure that no coolent iswhere it shouldn't be. Should I be concerned and take it back? Because before we had it worked on, there was no sign of coolent in the oil, just a regular steady drop in the coolent level. I'm sure that some coolent drained into the lifter valley when they puuled the intake off
dunno.gif
mad.gif

Drew99 I think what they were trying to tell you is that out of all the engines GM makes the 3.8 has the best track record. It tends to be about as problem free as you are going to get from GM.
THis engine does not have knock issues and does not show high wear numbers. If maintained it tends to last a long time. The upper intake problems have just bacome a recent thing with the advent of Dupont 66 intake manifold. My 97 Buick has this design and I am not to pleased with it. You can see that at some point before I bought this car oil was seeping past the upper intake manifold seal.

In all fairness to GM any time you have a V configuration and have angled mating surface leaks are going to be expected reguardless of manufacture. THe key is that they have consistently had magnified problems with both upper and lower gasket sealing issues in recent years. I think that the smart thing would be to use neoprene gaskets and maybe cut flat o-ring design in the future to prevent this.

If you look at imports with V8 of recent design they try to make the mateing /sealing surface with as flat as possable to seal and cut o-ring in alot cases. The use of neoprene, silocone and nitrile is abundant. You do not see alot of cheapp compressed fiber gaskets or paper gaskets on them at all these days.

The issue of leaks is such a major concern that when DC designed it's new 5.7 Hemi it was just as concerned with elimanateing leak paths as it was with low cost design. DC was very proud of it's design from a seal integraty stand point! They went on record on more then one occasion touting this as a major advancement for them.

You have to remember that the engines in mass production for most Domestic brands are either designs from the 1940's-1960's with small updates here and there. Paper, leather, natural fibers and natural rubber was about all you had to seal an engine. Manpower was abuntant, peoples incomes were growing and the buying power of the dollar was great! When a car cost $1500-$3000 dollars new who cared if the intake manifold leaked at 60,000 miles?

Now 30-60 years later a cheap car can cost anywere from $9000-$17,000 dollars and a really nice car or truck will run you $25,000-$80,000 dollars. Labor is $70-$100 dollars an hour and nothing is easy to get to on the newer cars due to packageing and full deliver systems.

Most domestic car companys are just now reliaseing that they have some serious quality and durability issues. They have been in denial for about 30 years as to the extent of their short comeings! They can not afford to develop and release alot of new power trains all at once if they want to keep share holders happy. To make matters even worse some of the recent power train releses are what they should have been building 10 years ago so they are still not truely competitive.

The engine from most domestic brands have the following problems. Dirty emission control systems, lack of rotateing assembly ballance, gasket integerty problems, and narrow power bands. They also tend to lack refinment interms of NVH. The sad thing is that the designs are usualy pretty good. You can clearly see that it was a cost issue that stoped a design from being what it could have been. A key example is the new generation of V8's from GM. They have the potential to be a world class engine!! It would not take much to make them a world class engine!!

I am going to give away my ideas about this engine. They need to give it better thrust control, ballance the rotateing assemble better, move the top ring down a bit, increase the skirt area about 15%, aim the injectors betters and reduce the power output to clean up the EGR system a bit. If they made the power band flatter with the use of varible valve timeing they would not need to dump so much fuel into the engine. GM is dumping to much gas into the cylinders to get power output up and this causes carbon issues and fuel dilution issues.

[ August 16, 2003, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
If they made the power band flatter with the use of varible valve timeing they would not need to dump so much fuel into the engine. GM is dumping to much gas into the cylinders to get power output up and this causes carbon issues and fuel dilution issues.

The 3800 routinely scores 30mpg in cars as big as, well, the impala which is a full size. Its also lev or better (ulev in most buicks with 1mpg penalty) somehow I dont think they are 'dumping raw fuel' to score either number. The 3800 is a 90 degree even firing v6. It is as balanced as that configuration is ever going to get (and in the buick customers report is is SMOOTHER than EVERY import - a buick forte which is why they are routinely in the jd powers top 5 - if not leading)

Question: when you talk about 'thrust control', given that this is not a turbofan....you mean the thrust bearing? I was not aware that there is now, nor ever has been a bearing (thrust or not) problem with the buick v6 in the last 30 years....

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
offtopic.gif
QD,

Welcome back...thought maybe you had warped into hyperspace (or something).
grin.gif

Actually, in late july we had some wicked storms and tornados and I was without utility power for a week - had to use a genset - so I was sorta scarce online then, then I had a week long biz trip and lost online interest altogether. its coming back slowly tho as things slow down.

John great post. Liked your Honda one too.

About the 3.8 having low wear...Well that may have been true until the latest version which throws off copper like theres no tomorrow. This feature now provided free of charge to all GM customers.
rolleyes.gif
Seeing as no one except maybe inside GM knows what's up with that, there may be long term issues involved. If you do know, please let me know. Even via private email if required.

Quad,
He was talking about the new V8's...LS1 and its variants. Although isn't the 3.8 somehow related?

GM 3.8 smoother than every import?? That's laughable. Considering the people that drive buicks they would either never even consider driving an import and/or they never go WOT or take the revs above 3k. Or they were raised on 30yr old technolgy. A buick owner survey doesn't mean much. Yeah below 3k, sure the 3.8 is smooth enough. Romp on it and it's hardly impressive. It's all relative I guess. But it cannot hold a candle to a Toyota or Honda V6. And BMW I6. Please. (and yes we do own a vehicle with the 3.8)

And about the thrust control...One theory says the high copper in GM is from the thrust bearing...The 3.8 now has high copper like other GMs...If true, even though John was talking about V8s, seems it would apply to the 3.8 too
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
GM is dumping to much gas into the cylinders to get power output up and this causes carbon issues and fuel dilution issues.

The high HP V-8 engines tend to go too rich at high RPM / WOT as a conservative factory setting in order to avoid detonation. One typically sees around 11:1 A/F ratios on a wideband dyno.
shocked.gif
The most common aftermarket chip trick is to lean it out to around 12:1 or 13:1, gaining about 3-5% top end power on the dyno.

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:

Quad,
He was talking about the new V8's...LS1 and its variants. Although isn't the 3.8 somehow related?

GM 3.8 smoother than every import?? That's laughable. Considering the people that drive buicks they would either never even consider driving an import and/or they never go WOT or take the revs above 3k. Or they were raised on 30yr old technolgy. A buick owner survey doesn't mean much. Yeah below 3k, sure the 3.8 is smooth enough. Romp on it and it's hardly impressive. It's all relative I guess. But it cannot hold a candle to a Toyota or Honda V6. And BMW I6. Please. (and yes we do own a vehicle with the 3.8)

And about the thrust control...One theory says the high copper in GM is from the thrust bearing...The 3.8 now has high copper like other GMs...If true, even though John was talking about V8s, seems it would apply to the 3.8 too
dunno.gif

The 3.8 buick engine (mind you, this is the SAME 231 inch v6 that buick came up with in the 60's, shelved it during the hp wars and resurected in the early 70's in the X body) is only related to the LS1 by the fact that GM makes both thru the 'powertrain division'.

But dont take my word for how it is perceived, read reviews in CD or RT or MT - it ONLY gathers high marks with perhaps a mention here and there they would prefer the 240hp super3800 being standard. Mind you again that the upscale sedan market (of which the buick lesa, park ave and olds 88/98 of old) which brings in toy and mazda and honda v6s has almost no brand loyalty. Buyers in that market jump around when imports are considered but once they go buick, they tend to stay - and hence the high scores the buicks receive. (also note, that despite the perceptive 'quality' of the import market, its relative share per model line has actually decreased drastically over the last decade. new entrants take up the rest of the slack and the flirtation with offshore products has been described as 'two and out', meaning people might make a switch to an import, buy two, then return)

You are right tho - cant hold a candle to a toy v6. It wont stay lit due to all the antifreeze spraying everywhere ;-) but once again consider, the honda and toy v6s are OHC designs which by nature of the design adds noise and vibration to the package that cannot be designed out. Thats a lot of extra pulleys, bearings and unbalanced shafts spinning at typically higher rpms.

To MRC01: you have to overfuel to make power. 12.1 to 12.7:1 is the upper WOT limit for every ECM I have ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back