PCV location; GM 3.8L?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know where the PCV valve is located on GM 3.8L V6s? Specifically a 1998 Olds Eighty Eight? I'm sure it's the same for all GM 3800s. I looked high and dry; no hoses or anything coming off the valve covers
dunno.gif
Thanks a bunch
smile.gif

You will find the PCV valve hidden under the MAP sensor located at the front center of the intake manifold. The MAP sensor is mounted onto a black plastic twist cap. Simply twist open the cap and the PCV valve will appear.

I hope this helps.

Brent

Well, on my 3.8L Camaro it is under a little black piece of metal held down by two hex nuts. Just unscrew the nuts, make sure the O-ring and spring don't fall and just pull it out.

Thats with my 3.8L GM...not sure if it is the same as yours. If not, at least you know how to change one on a 4th gen Camaro now.
cheers.gif

Got it guys, and man, it was full of sludge/carbon with 80,000 miles on it. My mom's car hasn't seen the best maintinence practices in the past, with several oil drain intervals of probably around 10,000 miles with dino
shocked.gif
I've pulled the dipstick only to find zilch/nada/nothing on it. So now I'm taking control of the servicing of it, at least while I still live here.

I did run into a snag while changing it and thought I'd share my findings with other 3.8ers out there that would like to change their PCV valves. When you install the spring loaded cap back onto the "port" thingy on the intake manifold, there are small leters on it saying PCV. Those must face towards the back of the car/engine, not towards the front. I assumed that you'd want them facing the front so when you look at it and clearly see PCV, you'd know where it is. Well, if it is facing the front, the map sensor will not snap into place on top of the spring loaded cap. I ended up ruining the rubber seal on the map sensor and I broke one retaining clip that holds it in place. Oh well, it obviously deson't leak because the car runs a whole lot better now. I even cleaned out the port going from the crankcase into the intake manifold because it was sludgy. The car had a seat of the pants driveability improvement.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back