Results of a bad/clogged PCV valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read that a clogged PCV valve can result in blowing oil past the main seals. My wife's elderly uncle complains that his 97 Ford Crown Vic persitently leaks past the distributor drive. He gets his oil changed at a "quickie" oil change place, and I've wondered whether they ever bother checking or replacing the PCV valve.

PCV stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation

Defective PCV valves have been known to cause excessive oil consumption, leaking seals, poor fuel economy and poor running engines to say the least.

[ April 18, 2003, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

As stated leaking seals is one good indication of a problem. One other thing is in a turbo charged engine the oil drain is gravity. With a positive pressure in the crankcase the oil can be forced around the bearings in a turbo. Increased oil consumption and a hot running turbo. This also causes heavy oxidation and oil coking.

A clogged PCV will also cause a buildup of moisture and acids (from blowby), in the crankcase. The moisture will then contribute to oil sludging.

Neglecting your PCV system is a no-no.
nono.gif

Depending on how bad it is, it could even blow oil back into the crankcase breather into the air filter. I check mine periodically with a vacuum gauge- as long as it pulls 4-5in (air cleaner side) within 10 seconds of engine startup, it should be fine.

I had two friends with problems. a pontiac van w/ a FI 3.8L motor and a jeep cherokee w/ 5.2L v8, both with bad shilfting auto trannies. the pontiac was diagnosed by the dealer as needing a new tranny....both had clogged PCV valves. both were cleaned, no more problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back