Rotella 5W40 vs. Schaeffer's 5W40 and 15W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which of the three, Rotella 5W40, Schaeffer's 5W40, or Schaeffer's 15W40, would you run, and why.

All three cost roughly the same, so cost isn't really a concern. The oil suggested, must be able to resist shearing and provide the best protection over the course of an interval, no longer than 7500 miles. Starts won't be below 0F.

Thanks,
Michael

Cost not being a factor, I would be tempted to run Schaeffer's 15W-40 from April 1 through September 30, then run Schaeffer's 5W-40 from October 1 through March 31. Why? Because I don't think Shell Rotella compares in quality. I think a perusal of a whole bunch of UOAs would tend to support that opinion, although, I admit that I have not done that study.

Now . . . heh, heh, heh . . . if Schaeffer's had a high quality 10W-40 HDEO, I'd run it year 'round.

(Sorry, couldn't help myself!!!)
rolleyes.gif

Bob A.

quote:

Which of the three, Rotella 5W40, Schaeffer's 5W40, or Schaeffer's 15W40, would you run, and why.

All three cost roughly the same, so cost isn't really a concern. The oil suggested, must be able to resist shearing and provide the best protection over the course of an interval, no longer than 7500 miles. Starts won't be below 0F.

Well. there is a price difference...about $11.50 for Schaeffer's 15w-40...about $13.50 for Schaeffer's 5w-40...and almost $15 for Rotella 5w-40.

In studying UOA's all three perform excellent but IMHO, the best balance of performance seems to be with the Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40. It's base oil is better blend than the other two, and it's add pack is better than Rotellas and yet the price is right between the other two plus it has really excellent cold flow properties with a very STRONG HTHS number. Just my opinion of course.

Hammer

quote:

Now . . . heh, heh, heh . . . if Schaeffer's had a high quality 10W-40 HDEO, I'd run it year 'round.

(Sorry, couldn't help myself!!!)

Bob A.

they do, see my other post about schaefer's 7000 15w-40 actually truly being a 10w-40.

Hammer

I did already. Thanks! And I will (use it, that is, in time). . . although, I have to admit, your comments about the Schaeffer's 5W-40 are intriguing for potential year-'round use! Hmmmmmm!?! . . .
gr_stretch.gif

Bob A.

quote:

Well. there is a price difference...about $11.50 for Schaeffer's 15w-40...about $13.50 for Schaeffer's 5w-40

Well, you can only get Schaeffer's for that price if you order a ton if it and get free shipping, otherwise, you'll have to pay shipping and shipping probably costs at least $3/gal...I'm guessing.
dunno.gif

quote:

It's base oil is better blend than the other two

Interesting...I thought that Schaeffer's 5w-40 is a hydrotreated GrpIII with PAO, whereas Shell Rotella 5W40 is a GrpIII SYNTHETIC basestock, correct me if I'm wrong..
confused.gif

quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well. there is a price difference...about $11.50 for Schaeffer's 15w-40...about $13.50 for Schaeffer's 5w-40
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, you can only get Schaeffer's for that price if you order a ton if it and get free shipping, otherwise, you'll have to pay shipping and shipping probably costs at least $3/gal...I'm guessing.

quote:
It's base oil is better blend than the other two

Interesting...I thought that Schaeffer's 5w-40 is a hydrotreated GrpIII with PAO, whereas Shell Rotella 5W40 is a GrpIII SYNTHETIC basestock, correct me if I'm wrong..

yeah, it takes about 4 cases to get free shipping...that is why when I ordered, I found other fellow diesel owners who wanted some and therefore ordered enough to not pay for shipping.

Uh, ALL Group.III oils are classified as synthetic. Rotella-Syn is all Group.III and Schaeffer's 9000 is 70% Group.III and 30% PAO. By having a blend, from what i understand, they can the advantges of both groups and produce a superior working oil. I'm sure one of the real experts could explain much better.

Yep Rotella 5-40 is most likely 100% hydrocracked GIII.
Schaeffers just doesn't buy into calling GIII oil syn and so labels it a blend.

quote:

Uh, ALL Group.III oils are classified as synthetic

I thought that there are some GrpIII dinos
confused.gif
Supposedly, I heard that the XOM Clean 5000/7500 oils are supposedly GrpIII???

Maybe I'll call 'em up and ask.

quote:

Schaeffers just doesn't buy into calling GIII oil syn and so labels it a blend.

Actually, Schaeffer's calls there 9000 series synthetic so therefore must consider grp.III as a synthetic. Tey are at least open in informing what their base oil blend basically consists of though. It's their well known 7000 series that they call a synthetic blend because of the Group.II and PAO blend.

quote:

I thought that there are some GrpIII dinos Supposedly, I heard that the XOM Clean 5000/7500 oils are supposedly GrpIII???

Maybe I'll call 'em up and ask.

I believe that all regular Group.III's are essentially severely hydrocracked petroleum based oils. They basically all endure a more severe hydrocracking process than group.II oils. The jist of the synthetic debate that Castrol was able to succeed in getting group.III called synthetic was the fact that the severe hydrocracking was basically able to change the molecular structure of such items as wax molecules into effective and pure oil. Since there was a man made forced molecular change to the "dino" oil, there argument was won.

There has been reports of a Group.III+ base oil coming out that appears to be more of a synthesized product but essentially "reads" like a group III product in it's properties. I can't really recall the details at the moment.

Hammer

Hmm...sorry to bring this thread more off-topic, but, what is the difference between hydrocracking and hydrotreating? Doesn't Schaeffer's use the hydrotreating technique for even better basestocks??

The more I read...the more confused I become.
frown.gif

quote:

Hmm...sorry to bring this thread more off-topic, but, what is the difference between hydrocracking and hydrotreating? Doesn't Schaeffer's use the hydrotreating technique for even better basestocks??

I'm not really sure, but I always assumed they were predominately the same thing, just some people called it different. I know Hydrocracking is essentially where the oil that is being refined is under high heat and pressure with hydrogen pumped through it and Group III's go under a more costly higher heat and higher pressure. I guess that is a simplistic way to put it, i'm sure somebody can explain it better.

Hammer

I just checked my credit card online. A case of six gallons of the 9000 was 89.68 on my door step. So the shipping worked out to be about a buck a gallon. 14.95 per gallon with the shipping. A good price in my book.

Dave

I just spoke with a friend who is a Schaeffer factory rep in another state. He is selling a lot of Schaeffer #9000 5W-40 to independent trucks and small truck fleets. They are finding good fuel savings with it. One trucker is changing the #9000 twice a year, and he runs 120,000-130,000 miles a year...and good lab analyses of his oil. 60,000 mile oil drain with $15 oil, plus fuel savings, is a real bargain. This rep is getting good analyses in his Ford gasser pickup at 16,000 mile oil drain intervals and Schaeffer 5W-30 premium syn blend.

There are different qualities of base oils, even of the same group. Shell Rotella-T syn is decent. Schaeffer knows that they have to use the best products to make their oil, or their small, independent company will die. It hasn't...it's increasing shipment volumes at least 10% a year.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back