6.0l Powerstroke- what oil to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil do you guys recomend in the 6.0L powerstroke. I just got an 04' this week and would like to do an oil change. What weight is recomended and what brand? thanks

I recommend Motorcraft 15w40, available at Wal-mart. Most WM's also carry the appropriate 6.0L Powerstroke Motorcraft oil filter.

thanks wayne. I should have done a little more searching before posting. I found that MC and the delo 400 are both recomended. I will problably go with the cheaper of the two.

Only Problem i have with MC is--> Our Local walmart is so much cheaper then anyone else in town on Oil.

And they only have Mc-15W-40 in Qts--No Gallons.
So I have gone with Delo 400 15w-40.

Wish I could find the Delo synthetic.

Good Luck with your PSD!!

If you are looking for something available locally I would recommend Delo 15W-40 or Shell Rotella T syn 5W-40. Schaeffer's Lubricants makes top notch products across the board, but you would need to contact a Schaeffer's rep in order to get their products.

There are a ton of people (myself included) that run the Schaeffer's Supreme 7000 and Supreme 9000 in PSD's with excellent wear numbers to back them up. Best of luck in your search.

Thanks guys. Maybe i'll look into shaeffers then.

Don- are you saying that amsoil 10w-30 is the correct weight for this truck even though the other manufacturers reccomend 15w-40

jdw, you can research and find a lot of info on TheDieselstop dot com and Ford Truck Enthusiasts dot com. Some say the 6.0 likes the 10w 30 better, if it was a 7.3 engine though there are some that swear at the ACD and Series 3000 lighter weight rather than for it. Truth is you don't really need a synthetic in that engine but I might run some through one every once in a while just to help keep it clean , and that is probably overkill.
Many people say you have to change every 3-4k on that engine also if not using a bypass and synthetic, which again, is just plain poppycock.

I still like my original recommendation best.
grin.gif

"I still like my original recommendation best. "
Understandable. the MC has alot of anti-foaming agent for those HEUI injectors. Nice quieter running motor.

I've installed the Series 3000 5W30.
I also have a couple of guys trying out the ACD SAE30 10W30.
So far it looks like after 30,000km their trucks are still starting good. No shearing down of the oil.
 -

Jdw: Your choices are very large.
If U don't want to run synthetic.

MC-Delo 400-Rotella T will work great with 5k to 6K mile OCI.

Now if U want to spend more? On Synthetic!
Schaeffers-Amsoil-Delvac-Delo 400 Synthetic-Rotella T Synthetic---> granted most of these are 5w-40 which is the best of both worlds.

All of these will clean and protect your PSD with never a problem.

U will lose sleep thinking about this. It will drive U crazy trying to chose.

It all depends if U want to buy them local or take the time to order it through a dealer.

15W-40 summer 5W-40 Winter-->{If U have mild winters? 15W-40 yr round.--When it gets cold-{Plug it in}.

Good Luck in your Quest.

OK if I understand things correctly (not really I'm confused) Delo 400 will offer pretty much the same protection as a synthetic as long as its changed out more frequently.

I would think dollar for doller I can run a lot of Delo through my Powerstroke before I even come close to the cost of Amsoil or Mobile 1.

What am I missing, is there a significant MPG increase with sythetics that would offer a significant savings?

JohnnyGTO, you've got it. and no, no very significant increase in mpg w/synthetic. But it may help clean out your engine from time to time, or it may be totally unnecessary.

To give you an idea, I have a stash right now of about 16 gal of delo 400, 4 gal of Rot T GIII syn 5w40, 2.5 gal of M1 t &SUV, 2 gal of Mystik JT8, 4 gal of valv premium blue, and some Supertech 15w40 all to run in the psd. Can you tell which one is my top choice? But I have no qualms about using any of the above at different times.

ps, i have posted before that I have found that delo 400 is good for a minimum of 6000mi in the 7.3 PSD.

ps. also when I had the dealer change the oil with MC 15w40 as they were fairly reasoble in cost, the MC 15w40 was perfectly fine too, this is another hydrocrcked/finished oil.

I was going to use Delo 400 but just found Rotella T 15w40 for $6.97/gal at Home Depot. Imagine that they even beat Wally World! After all I have read I think the Delo might be a little better but never have I heard anything bad about Rotella T soooo since Home Depot has it for that price and they had 3 shelves full too!

quote:

Many people say you have to change every 3-4k on that engine also if not using a bypass and synthetic, which again, is just plain poppycock

Well, that depends on how you drive it.. I do a lot of stop and go, with some idling so my fuel dilution is always around 4-6%, shearing my 0w30 at about 5K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back