n14 cummins -volvo truck engine specs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
a friend asked me to do an oil change on a 1999 volvo with a cummins n14 430hp non-turbo engine. what oil,fuel,air filter part no.s do i need? also, what grade and quantity of oil do i need? thanks!!!

Hi Dave,
this is a true "survivor" in the Cummins heavy engine range! Not like the later Signature series!!
All are turbocharged/intercooled

In a normal ambient range from around -4F the N14 should use a conforming CI-4 15w-40 HDEO. Cummins CES 20071,2,6 may be their specification(s) if I recall correctly. Delo 400, Castrol RX Super and Shell's Rotella will fit the bill - check their specs first

Donaldson's ELF Synteq FF oil filters work well in these engines. We have always found it best to fill the oil filters prior to fitting to the engine

The Donaldson longlife air cleaner elements are excellent products, will work very well and will be cost effective

I have always believed it is best to use OEM fuel filters on these engines

I hope this helps

Doug
cheers.gif

quote:

Hi Dave,
this is a true "survivor" in the Cummins heavy engine range! Not like the later Signature series!!
All are turbocharged/intercooled

survivor? so is this engine turbo'd? according to my friend, he says it's not. but i think he may be wrong.i know of a napa near my house where i will probably go to get the filters. are the napa brands good too?

Hi,
I have never seen a non charged/cooled N14 but they may exist? One does not know all and we are all learning!!

In 1987 they were sold here in 320,365,400,444 horsepower charged/cooled configurations with the 320hp version being bullet proof! The 444 was initially a disaster but came right after
some "modifications" including better cooling

The long flat block mounted vertical "box" is the intercooler

The "Compuchek" computerised diagnostic system covering 15 items was a revulutionary development then. It was part of an attempt to rival Detroit's ECM and Unit injector system

The Cummins "C" brake or a "Jacobs" brake makes the need for good lubricant maintenance essential

Sadly and initially the Cummins/Volvo integration was a problem here due to the small frontal area which restricted cooling in our hot climate

I cannot comment on NAPA filters but IMHO meeting the OEM spec is important on all heavy diesel engines

Where is whittier?

Doug

quote:

Originally posted by daves66nova:
a friend asked me to do an oil change on a 1999 volvo with a cummins n14 430hp non-turbo engine. what oil,fuel,air filter part no.s do i need? also, what grade and quantity of oil do i need? thanks!!!

I myself have a 95 Volvo with a Cummins N14 set at 500HP. The N14's usually all used the same filters. Cummins owns Fleetguard and they are the ONLY filters I will use on my N14 except for the Oilguard bypass that i installed. The two oil filters that fit are the LF3000 (standard stratapore with built in bypass) and the LF9009 extended life filter which is also Stratapore and bypass combo but uses a venturi stle outlet that allows the ultra clean bypass oil to be sent to the bearings instead of being dumped back to the sump. I personally use the LF9009.

As far as fuel filters, most likely a FS1000 is what it takes.

My N14 has had Chevron Delo 400 in it most of it's life except for various trials of other brands but oil analysis kept bringing me back to the Delo. Quite frankly Delo performs Extremely well in these engines. The UOA's produced were down right excellent with this oil. BTW, i'm rolling with over 1.1 million miles on mine with the engine still running strong as an ox and cylinder inspection when I replaced the head gaskets surprised the mechanic with how little wear there was. I even get over 6.5mpg with this "old" motor. I truly believe that Fleetguard & Delo work very well in N14's.

Hammer

Hi,
Hammer - yes these "old" engines had their origins way back in the 1970s. I am pleased you have had a good run with your N14.
They are still popular engines here (in secondhand vehicles) and a better buy than DDEC1 60 Series Detroits IMHO

The 500hp versions are still popular in road train operations (general/livestock/reefer)near here where I live
Like them all, good coolant system maintenance
is critical in achieving long life

I have a client who runs triple fuel tanker trailers up in the top Tropics and has a number using WEBB oil consumption/filter devices and does not cahnge oil at all. He uses Shell Rimula 15w-40

Yes Fleetguard filters are great too!

What freight do you haul?

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back