Oil terms and acronyms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I am new to this forum and this is my first post. Although I have good mechanical knowledge and aptitude, I get kind of lost reading some of the posts. For example, what is "PAO" and what does it mean when an oil is "type III or type IV". If there is a complete list and explanation of these terms please refer me to it, so I don't waste anyone's time. Otherwise, could some one give me a brief explanation of the most common terms, abreviations, acronyms etc? I did look throught the glossary, but there was no mention of these particular terms. I am most interested in those that are commonly used in posting messages, as mentioned above.

Thank You, Todd Noel

[ October 10, 2005, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Todd Noel ]

Here ya go Todd:

PAO - Poly Alpha Olefin - a type of synthetic basestock for motor oil
POE - Polyol Ester - another type of basestock

Groups I, II, and III - petroleum basestocks, the higher the numeration, the better refined.
Groups IV and V - synthetic basestocks. Iv is for PAO's and V for POE's.

OCI - Oil Change Interval
VOA - Virgin Oil Analysis
UOA - Used Oil Analysis

GC - German Castrol. Castrol Syntec 0w30 that has been manufactured in Germany.
RL - Redline Synthetic motor oil
VSOT - Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment
SF - Specialty Formulations
HM - High Mileage, usually used in oil descriptions/brand name

Any others, just write again!!!

Ahhh, I've seen the light! It's amazing how left out you feel sometimes when you don't know the lingo!
Thanks again, Todd

Todd welcome ,take some time and study this site, read the posts and on the opening page look at all the info that is there. Many people don't read and study .

VI; viscosity index, related to the change of viscosity between 40°C and 100°C

VII; viscosity index improver polymers...curls in heat and makes the oil thicker...fewer is better and better quality (costlier) is better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back