Extended Drains in a 03 Duramax Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Background: The truck has about 100,000 KM on it, and it was run on 15w-40 Quick Lube dino at 10-12,000 KM drains as suggested by the oil life monitor for all of its life.

Truck is located in Tornoto

I plan to:
1) Change Full-Flow Filter and add 2 bottles Auto-RX to the existing oil to clean-up residue buildup, residue wear metals, and additive clash. Run for 2400KM.
2) Rinse with 15w-40 conventional for 5000KM.
3) Change oil and filter to Amsoil AME 15w-40 (New Formulation), and install Amsoil BMK-17 Bypass Filter (SDF-26 FF and BE-100 Bypass) and peacock valve.
4) Change engine air filter with a new paper air filter and replace PCV valve.

Follow Up:
1) Take oil sample every 20,000 KM (about 6 mo)
2) Install a NEW SDF-26 Oil Filter, BE-100 Bypass Filter, NEW paper air filter, and NEW PCV valve every 40,000 KM. (About 1-yr)

So, what do you folks think of my plan?

How long do you think this oil will last?

The truck sees a lot of highway driving.

Michael

quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wan:
Background: The truck has about 100,000 KM on it, and it was run on 15w-40 Quick Lube dino at 10-12,000 KM drains as suggested by the oil life monitor for all of its life.

Truck is located in Tornoto

I plan to:
1) Change Full-Flow Filter and add 2 bottles Auto-RX to the existing oil to clean-up residue buildup, residue wear metals, and additive clash. Run for 2400KM.
2) Rinse with 15w-40 conventional for 5000KM.
3) Change oil and filter to Amsoil AME 15w-40 (New Formulation), and install Amsoil BMK-17 Bypass Filter (SDF-26 FF and BE-100 Bypass) and peacock valve.
4) Change engine air filter with a new paper air filter and replace PCV valve.

Follow Up:
1) Take oil sample every 20,000 KM (about 6 mo)
2) Install a NEW SDF-26 Oil Filter, BE-100 Bypass Filter, NEW paper air filter, and NEW PCV valve every 40,000 KM. (About 1-yr)

So, what do you folks think of my plan?

How long do you think this oil will last?

The truck sees a lot of highway driving.

Michael

Have you seen the reports of the issues with the dual remote filter set-up? I advice you to search the oil filter and bypass filter sections to find out.

Hammer

my advise to you michael is put on the amsoil bypass filter. i put one on my truck 5 years ago and its done me a good job. as for hammers comments about issues with the duel remote filter setup, will that is pure b--- s---.

Michael-

I have no problem with your plan to use Auto-Rx, though personally I'd just throw a couple cans of AMSOIL Engine Flush in and get it done with. In my experience, diesel engines don't form the same kind of sludge that the gasoline engines can.

You can put a Bypass Filter on immediately, or you can run a load of oil for 15,000 miles and test it.
Based on results, you'll know whether to dump the oil or continue to use it--and add the Bypass Filter at that point.

Sample every six months, and follow the lab recommendations for filter replacement. I suspect after a couple of times, you'll start sampling on a yearly basis.

The Duramax engine seems to be very clean, and I wouldn't be surprised to find a BE-100 lasting 60,000 miles or more before needing replacement.

quote:

Originally posted by fred:
my advise to you michael is put on the amsoil bypass filter. i put one on my truck 5 years ago and its done me a good job. as for hammers comments about issues with the duel remote filter setup, will that is pure b--- s---.

I just love how people will defend something to the death if it works for them regardless of reports right here on BITOG where there have been issues/concerns with the dual remote set-up and it's spring and ball possibly causing oil pressure issues. I'm letting the guy know that this has been a concern and to do the research to decide if the dual remote unit is something he wants to use. So what is pure BS about that? And since we are on the topic and you have raised my temperature a couple degrees, I will say that there are most likely BETTER performing choices in bypass filtration than the Amsoil units. I would put a Motorguard, Frantz, or Oilguard up against one any day. If you don't like that, oh well.

Hammer

I'll go against any of those bypass filters- head to head anyday. Let's not however mix dual and remote full filtration with pure bypass filters.

On this or any rig I recommend a true bypass - take some oil from a relatively higher pressure source, ultra filter it and return it to a low/no pressure area.

If you want a remote full flow, or dual full flow filters - then do that too. There are some great reasons for doing this. Easier filter access, more filtration area, increased oil volume and cooling.

I do however agree with Hammer that the concern with the dual bypass unit is not pure Bee Ess. Folks have seen some interesting pressure drops and heard some strange start up noises/slow oil pressure build. I personally don't like the unit. I don't think they have trashed any engines and I think Bob's tests have some flaws - still I think for the reasons above you should keep your filtration devices seperate!!!
smile.gif

Pablo,

I owe you a big
worshippy.gif
Since the day this board has been open, I have said that the single bypass Amsoil is a great option. It is clean and easy to change. I place it along with the Motor Guard, Frantz as an option. As Pablo stated, high pressure input, return to a low pressure point.

The dual bypass that Bob tested was one of the early generation Amsoil units. This unit has been out of production, or modified to the present generation Amsoil because it simply had problems. Does the new Amsoil Dual Bypass have problems, yes, vibration, chattering, and a few other things that you do not experience with a single remote bypass. Most dual Amsoil bypass systems work great, but a few don't. I don't know of any single bypass made by any company that has problems. JMO

Why do you feel you need to make modifications to your oiling system just to run extended oil change intervals. I too have an 03 Duramax, and I have been extending the OCIs based on oil analysis reports.

My last oil change was done at 50,000 Km, and the oil had 18,000 Km on it. Results of the UOA by Blackstone are as follows:

Miles on Unit: 50,208 Km or 31,380 miles
Miles on Oil: 17,990 Km or 11,244 miles
Oil Type: Mobil Delvac 5w-40
Makeup Oil: 0.5 Litres

Aluminum: 3
Chromium: 0
Iron: 9
Copper: 6
Lead: 6
Tin: 2
Molybdenum: 2
Nickel: 0
Maganese: 0
Silver: 0
Titanium: 0
Potassium: 0
Boron: 45
Silicon: 14
Sodium: 0
Calcium: 2798
Magnesium: 545
Phosphorus: 1162
Zinc: 1324
Barium: 0

TBN: 8.8
SUS Viscosity @ 210: 70.4
Flashpoint in F: 445
Fuel %: < 0.5
Antifreeze %: 0.0
Water %: 0.0
Insolubiles: < 0.2

The truck was driven through a whole winter where the temperature was regularly -30C, and my driving was a mix of city and hightway, with regular short trips to work, 10 kms or 6 miles each way.

Based on this analysis, I will be extending the my OCI to 20,000 Kms.

quote:

peacock valve

I think you mean a "petcock."

Why run the bypass filter? Drive many kilometers yearly and plan on keeping this truck for may hundreds of thousands of km? And transfer the filter assembly to your next truck? OK. Otherwise, it probably won't pay off.

I agree with Pablo, as usual. I'd rather use a separate bypass filter than the dual filter rig.

Ken

The Ford powerstrokes are different engines but look up the powerstroke website , there is the link posted in this section or the uoa diesel section that lists a lot of uoas with the Amsoil filter setup with high miles on the oil. You can decide for yourself. I M O the filter setup will at least double the longest recommended oil change interval.

Bill,

Amsoil didn't look so good, Rotella 5W-40 seemd better except for copper, and Delvac 1 / Mq T&S seemed best overall.

Is that how you read it?

Is there more engine noise with 5W-40 compared to 15W-40? I'm running Delo 400 15W-40 in my 05 Duramax...but I wonder if 5W-40 might give better mileage and at least the same level of protection.

5W-40 will give slightly better mileage and equal or better engine protection especially when very hot or very cold. Engine noise varies. Different brand oils seem to damp noise differently.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Thatwouldbegreat:
Bill,

Amsoil didn't look so good, Rotella 5W-40 seemd better except for copper, and Delvac 1 / Mq T&S seemed best overall.

Is that how you read it?

Is there more engine noise with 5W-40 compared to 15W-40? I'm running Delo 400 15W-40 in my 05 Duramax...but I wonder if 5W-40 might give better mileage and at least the same level of protection.

Thatwouldbegreat,

Looking at the various UOA’s with different HDEO’s folks have posted, the Duramax seem’s to perform well with all of them (DELO has performed very well). The Duramax also has a tendency for high copper when the engine is new (most suspect the oil cooler). I used the AMSOIL & Rotella Syn when the engine was new so (IMHO), I wouldn’t judge these oils based on those results as the engine was still “breaking-in”. As far as engine noise I’m not sure if the oil type is a factor. I’ve wondered the same thing myself. The noise level in my 03 is still low but it does seem louder than when the truck was new (maybe just my imagination ??). You and Ken have me thinking that maybe I’ll try a 3k run with DELO 400 next spring to see if there is change in noise level (??)

smile.gif

Seems like a great plan to me!
You're one of the people who will benefit most from extended OCIs... those guys who spend a LOT of time behind the wheel.
Be sure to post your UOAs!

Let's forget about this thread, I've got a better idea and I'm going to start a new thread to discuss it.
smile.gif

Mike

I noticed that on the OilGuard web site they post a filter performance test done by a lab. Does Amsoil post any lab test results for the bypass filter, or just a graph with no backup, like their other tests?

With the launch of the new Amsoil EaO Oil Filters, I was thinking about using those instead of a bypass filter.

Option 1:
10 quarts of Amsoil Series 3000, 5w-30=$63
Amsoil EaO52 Oil Filter=$15
Total=$78

Option 2:
10 quarts of Amsoil "AME" 15w-40=$42
Amsoil EaO52 Oil Filter=$15
Total=$57

With either oil, I'll probably use a 1-yr, 20,000 mile service interval, whichever comes first. Right now I'm leaning more towards the HDD, simply because its supposed to better in keeping soot within suspension and would provide better fuel efficiency.
dunno.gif

Thoughts?

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back