Kubota Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running a Grasshopper commercial lawn mower this summer with a 28 HP Kubota diesel.

The owner's manual states that I should be using a CD or CF type oil in 10-30 or 10-40 grade. Since these specs are obviously outdated (the manual states that any more current rating is also acceptable), what oil would be a good choice?

At 150 hours on the engine, I switched it to Delvac 5-40W since that is what I'm running in all our other diesels. Why would a 10-30W or 10-40W be recommended for a diesel?

I have no complaints about the Delvac, although the engine does seem to be using some oil, roughly 1 quart in 50 hours of use. The mower is new to me, so I have no idea what the "norm" was in the past.

Is it wrong to be using "diesel" oils in this engine?!

I use Delo 400 or Delvac Super in my Honda Kerosene genset with superb results, my oil consumption for a 7 year old generator is quite low, it is still running on original rings and I do an average of 250 hours a year with it.

I've got a few gallons of the Mobil 1300, so I might just try that. What kind of consumption is "normal" for these engines?

I have a Kubota 32hp tractor with the 3 cylinder Kubota diesel, about 200 hours on it. It has neglible or no oil consumption at the 50 hr mark, which is when I change the oil. Makes me wonder a bit about your consumption, but maybe your equip has a lot more hours on it. I use Delo 15W-40 year-round.

Mine has 200 hours on it...I bought it used with 125 hours on it.

I'm thinking the synthetic 5-40W is the culprit as far as the consumption goes.

I'd suggest giving the Mobil 1300 a shot since you have some, or going with the Delo 15W-40 later.
Maybe just me, but I don't like extended oil intervals in diesels, so I stick with a reasonably priced dino oil at more frequent intervals.
I also use the Stanadyne fuel conditioner in my diesel fuel since day 1. I'd like to say it runs smoother with it but since I've always used it, who knows!

150 hours is certainly nothing for your diesel, and 1 qt per 50 hours seems high. I run 5w30 diesel oil in my (560 hour) 34hp kubota and it does not use any oil that I can detect.

Bad news guys! The consumption is high because this engine is in dire straits.

It's ingesting a lot of coolant along with the oil based on the last UOA. I got hosed by the previous owner!

Such is life...

oops.. sorry to hear

I run Delvac-1 in my Kubota L3130. 100hr change (once a year), the oil drains clean and dark amber and it never consumes any..

If it is drinking coolant, my guess is that the engine has been abused and overheated causing the head to get warped and pistons probably have worn down and turned oval.

You got it Gurkha! This engine must have been really overheated by the previous owners, and that's why it was traded with so few hours on it.

Ah...buying used equipment is always so much fun...
frown.gif

Rebuilds are cheap and easy on gensets so consider getting an estimate from a good Kubota dealer.

Kubota rebuilds are not so cheap here. My 2150 tractor engine (24hp) rebuild estimate was a minimum $3,000 dollars and probably would be more (mostly labor costs). In my case, a short block or new engine was not available. The Tractor is only worth about $4,500 in good condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back