Delo (or Rotella) 10W30 or 15W40 in Ford 460

Status
Not open for further replies.
High in the Mountains of Central California
I've done some searches around here regarding the use of diesel motor oils in gasoline engines, and I'd like to make an attempt at summing up my findings, and then have you tribologists correct me and/or expand... is that okay? This is my first post here, so I hope you all will bear with me.

I just bought a 1983 F250 (8600lb GVWR) 4x4 with a 460. It has 98,000 miles on the original engine, and when we took the valve covers off to replace leaking gaskets, we found a very clean engine. The original owner had used Pennzoil 10W30 and Fram oil filters, and had changed them consistently and regularly. It has great compression and doesn't burn oil, at least no more than a healthy engine should.

I've always been a Chevron Delo and Shell Rotella fan, so I have been thinking of using those oils. The only problem is that both are hard to find in 10W30. Would I be doing this engine a disservice by switching to 15W40? I am concerned about oil circulation upon startup, and getting oil to all the bearings as quickly as possible.

I live in SoCal, so we don't get truly "cold" weather here, but even so, my belief has long been that most of the wear on an engine is upon startup, before the oil is fully circulating at the proper pressure. In fact, I used to use Delo 400 Synthetic 0W30 in my vehicles, but I have gotten tired of special ordering it and driving 50 miles to get it.

Or, should I just stick with what has worked for 22 years and use Pennzoil 10W30?

Sorry this is so long!
shocked.gif

15W-40 would be fine in a gas engine, though you could use Rotella 5W-40 synthetic, or Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic if you want extra protection. You shouldn't have to special order them.

If it were my Ford 460, I would try the Mobil Truck & SUV 5w-40 available in 5 quart jugs at Wal Mart for $19.97. Another option would be Amsoil. Amsoil makes good synthetics and they deliver them to your door eliminating the need to drive 50 miles. I would try the ACD 10w-30 or the AME 15w-40. For mineral oil, I would try the Chevron Delo 400 15w-40. Some stores now carry Shell Rotella 10w-30, but I prefer Chevron myself.

-brian

big o dave, IMO any name brand CI-4+, SL rated 15w/40 is all you need. Unless you have an extra set of studded tires, a plow for the front, and plug your block heater in at night, the 5w stuff isn't going to get you anything. FWIW my 100k f150 5.0 always used oil on 10w/30, hdeo 15/40 I never have to add on 5k OCI.

Thanks for the responses, guys!

From your comments, I understand that you feel that cold start circulation is not an issue with 15W40 motor oils in SoCal weather.

That's been my biggest concern, because I only live about 3 miles from my business and my vehicles get a lot of short trips... I have wanted to be sure that under such conditions 15W40 would be suitable.

I guess I should have mentioned the "short trip" aspect in my first post.

Any other thoughts on this would be welcomed.

Let us know how you like it. And what kind of mileage you get. These old Ford's are just super HD trucks. One can actually WORK on them, and if you need more professional services you are not limited to the Stealerships. A lot of indy mechanics really KNOW these vehicles, parts are readily available and will probably be so for many decades.

I have an '87 F250SC with a C6, the last year for regular gas (unleaded is OK, just not required: i.e., NO CATS!) & a 4-barrel. I use Chevron Supreme 10W-30 since I can get it at $0.49 per quart after rebate. I'm considering going to a mix of 3 Delo 15W-40 & 3 10W-30 in the future as my miles are approaching 180,000 on this motor.

Seems to run just great, although gas mileage (with a 2,700 lb. camper in the bed) is never going to be that high (often pushing 10 mpg on the freeway), and it is all paid for.
fruit.gif

My neighbor has a '99 1-ton Reg cab 4x4 with the Fuel-injected 460 and a E4OD: he only gets about 11 mpg or so & still has a monthly payment of over $300 on his camper. It is really hard for me to spend a total of $300/month on gas on all my vehicles! Except when on a crosscountry trip, of course!

Cheers!
cheers.gif

Norm, it's great to hear from another with such enthusiasm for these old Fords!

I've always been a Chevy guy (in fact, I also have a restored '76 C20), but when I happened upon this F250, I recognized a great old truck. It's all original, yet it runs great, and that's pretty impressive. Plus, I know it's entire history, which is pretty fun, too.

It has worked pretty hard for most of its life, but it has also been well-maintained... now it'll get babied and slowly restored. I will still ride local trails with my wife in it, but it's days of lugging around a cabover camper and assorted trailers are over.

I enjoy putting old trucks back together... maybe I'm becoming a collector...

Norm Olt wrote:

" I use Chevron Supreme 10W-30 since I can get it at $0.49 per quart after rebate. I'm considering going to a mix of 3 Delo 15W-40 & 3 10W-30 in the future as my miles are approaching 180,000 on this motor."

They have Chevron supreme on sale at Schucks locally for $0.49 a quart and Delo 400 15-40 for $4.97 a gallon at GI Joe's. No need to spend aton of money to get good oil.

Have been using WalMart 15-40 for several years in my old Plymouth 318, but I think I'll go to the Chevron 10-30 one part/Delo 400 three parts for summer and vice versa in winter. I'm a little leery about the new API spec oils in old engines. Old Plymouth only takes four quarts to reach FULL even with new filter.

My$0.02

quote:

Originally posted by Big O Dave:
I've done some searches around here regarding the use of diesel motor oils in gasoline engines, and I'd like to make an attempt at summing up my findings, and then have you tribologists correct me and/or expand... is that okay? This is my first post here, so I hope you all will bear with me.

I just bought a 1983 F250 (8600lb GVWR) 4x4 with a 460. It has 98,000 miles on the original engine, and when we took the valve covers off to replace leaking gaskets, we found a very clean engine. The original owner had used Pennzoil 10W30 and Fram oil filters, and had changed them consistently and regularly. It has great compression and doesn't burn oil, at least no more than a healthy engine should.

I've always been a Chevron Delo and Shell Rotella fan, so I have been thinking of using those oils. The only problem is that both are hard to find in 10W30. Would I be doing this engine a disservice by switching to 15W40? I am concerned about oil circulation upon startup, and getting oil to all the bearings as quickly as possible.

I live in SoCal, so we don't get truly "cold" weather here, but even so, my belief has long been that most of the wear on an engine is upon startup, before the oil is fully circulating at the proper pressure. In fact, I used to use Delo 400 Synthetic 0W30 in my vehicles, but I have gotten tired of special ordering it and driving 50 miles to get it.

Or, should I just stick with what has worked for 22 years and use Pennzoil 10W30?

Sorry this is so long!
shocked.gif

Either in 15W40 is the way to go.

One of my friends works for one of the major water companies, here in my home town. The company uses Shell Rotella 15w-40, in everything. His company truck was a Chevy with a V-6 engine. It had over 200,000 miles on it when they made him get rid of it. It was running great & didn't burn a drop of oil.

Joe F.

Well, I changed my oil to the Rotella 5W-40 (7 quarts) and a Wix 51773 oil filter. I was running Delo 400 15W-40.

I like the way this oil flows at start-up, compared to the 15W-40... it used to take forever for the pressure to drop into the operating temperature level, but now it is there much more quickly. This is important to me because so much of my driving is short trips - I live less than 3 miles from work, and I just tend to do errands around town throughout most days.

Thanks for everyones' input!
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back