What is Spec for 2001 Jetta TDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What VW Spec is for 2001 Jetta TDI?

Which oils meet this spec?

Do they use "catridge" style filters from Mann?

What do yall use.

Thanks.

VW 505.00. ACEA B3/B4, API CF4 ,CG4 (pg 17-2)

However, the best is to read the owners manual specifically for the VW TDI 2001. Over the life of the MK IV there were various changes. The viscosities are all over tha map. There was even some controversy about whether to use synthetic vs conventional CF4 oils etc. Since this issue has had some time to resolve itself, I would recommend a 5w40 oil.

I personally use Delvac One 5w40, aka Mobil One Truck and SUV. on a 2003 Jetta TDI. I run 20,000 to 25,000 mile OCI's. If I didn't have a 500,000 to 1,000,000 mile horizon. Shell Rotella (among others) has its CF4 conventional and synthetic T for far cheaper than the EM products.

The 2001 TDI uses cartridge type oil filters.

[ April 09, 2005, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: ruking77 ]

Forget about using VW 505.00 - those are light duty diesel oil and aren't even Sequence tested in a TDI engine.

The ACEA B4 spec is somewhat better as it does involve testing in the 1.9L TDI (for piston deposits and ring sticking), along with Mercedes and Peugot diesel engines.

The CI-4+ specification is best for the TDI.... These oils are actually intended for commercial diesel engines and they have far and away the most robust additive chemistries. Given your geographic location, I'd recommend the Amsoil 15w-40 or Delvac 1 as two of the more cost effective choices. The Amsoil 15w-40 has a VI of 164, vs only 151 for Delvac 1. It will actually pump easier than Delvac 1 at moderately cold temps, even though it's classified as an SAE 15w-40. Stick a quart of each of these in the freezer and you'll see almost no difference in how thick they are when you take them out.

Tooslick

TS - good post.

I will add for Island vic to seek and read the new ACEA (2004) oil sequences. (I was little behind on these up until several months ago) A new B4 oil would probably be OK as would an E6 oil be even better.

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet Volkswagen issued a service bulletin instructing their dealerships to use 5W-40 synthetic oil when performing warranty work on all TDI's produced from MY 1996 (1Z, AHU, and ALH engines). The specific oil that they directed the dealerships to use carries the following ratings:
ACEA A3/B3/B4
API SL/CF
VW 502.00, 505.00
MB 229.1, 229.3
BMW LL-98
Porsche Approval

The specific part number in the service bulletin was for Castrol Syntec 5W-40. This is naturally due to the business relationship that VW has with Castrol.

I have personally used Delvac-1 for the majority of my TDI's life but I have also used Amsoil 10w-40, Amsoil 5W-40, Castrol 0W-30, and even once used Lubrication Engineers 15W-40 and Schaeffer's 15W-40.

I tend to disagree with TooSlick with regards to using a heavy duty oil in such a light duty vehicle. These tiny engines are very frugal with fuel and therefore simply don't need the additive package of a heavy duty oil. I say this while I advocate Delvac-1 but I don't see any problem with using ACEA B4 rated oils and achieving several hundreds of thousands of miles of good service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back