Castrol RX 15w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Castrol's RX Super 15w-40 is indeed a HDEO

It is one of the best available and probably the biggest selling HDEO in Australia

I have had extensive exposure to this excellent product and can only highly recommend it

Access Castrol's Australian site for details

Regards

Hi,

yes to my knowledge it is a Castrol "International" oil which is sold in many markets around the World

Regards
cheers.gif

My wal-mart sells this oil and I live in Georgia. In fact, my local Advance autoparts store also carries it.

I have no idea whether it's any good or not. It's priced up there with the Delo's and Delvac's.

Hi,

I forgot to point out before that Castrol RX Super 15w-40 (CI-4/SL) HDEO is probably the most popular engine oil used in heavy trucks in Australia

It is sold in the price midrange here at about $A25 for five litres

Regards
Doug

It is sold in the USA at PepBoys. It is the only HDEO sold in quart containers there. I think it is popular with Mercedes diesel car owners. Shell Rotella T and Chevron Delo 400 in gallons are favored by the owners of diesel trucks and far outsell RX.

Hi Jimbo,

Delo in all forms has an excellent reputation here( I worked for Caltex-Chevron in Denmark in the 1960's so I have "history" ) and is an excellent product range

It is popular in certain areas of Heavy Industry but the BP-Castrol, Shell and Mobil Companies are better marketers to bulk users like Truckers here. This is due as much to those Companies having most of the prime location TruckStops sites nationally

I think Delo is on par with Delvac,Rotella/Rimula and Castrol's range of HDEOs

Regards
cheers.gif

My BOSCH Service Center uses it for all Euro apps that do not require synth or unless synth is specified by the customer. Their synth of choice is Syntec 5w-50, so what do they know?
tongue.gif

Castrol is one of the oldest and biggest oil company in India and they have been around the longest. Their market penetration is ummatched and before India opened its market to other International companies, Castrol was one of the premium brands here. Out in 99, it was hard to get any other oil in premium diesel segment except for Castrol RX Super Plus, I decided to use it on my MB OM 616 turbo engine and sadly it was a huge dissapointment. The oil consumption was high and the oil was prone to thinning out. I tried three more batches before Mobil thankfully launched their Delvac Super, Delvac and Delvac-I and Caltex also joined the fray with their excellent Delo 400. I have stuck to these oils ever since and have never looked back. Castrol also got into a huge lawsuit with local government owned roadways after the bus engines started faling prematurely. Seems like they were blending recycled furnance oil with the CRB Plus range of oils and this was leading to engines breaking up way earlier than their anticipated life.

It is sad to see a great company like Castrol going this way. I am sure they still make geat products as I see them quite active in F-I, Moto GP and truck racing in Europe with their Elixion range. My experience with RX Super Plus isnt isolated here, many who have tried this oil have had almost the same results of high oil consumption and premature thinning out.

BTW: I still use Castrol ST 80W-90 for my diffs and gear boxes as well as Castol ATF for my MB tranny as well as Castrol Heavy Duty Coolant and Castrol Synthetic DOT 4 brake fluid so I have no bias against this company at all.

Of course we should all be aware by now that similarly branded/named products may have very different formulations on the different continents.

Also, someone from Colorado on a Nissan forum told me he used Castrol GTX 15W40 in his 300ZX Turbo.

Is this the same stuff ... and was the owner mistaken??

I have never seen Castrol GTX 15W40.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

The Nissan owner was incorrect, Castrol's 15W-40 is RX Super Heavy Duty. Their GTX comes in 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40 and 20W-50. I use the RX 15W-40 in a Volvo 940 (gas) and used it in a VW Jetta Diesel I used to own. I've never had an analysis done (yet anyway) but never had any reason to think this oil wasn't doing its job.

i am going to run castrol rx 15w40 in my motorbike on the next oil change (tomorrow).

the approvals on the bottle are ci-4, ilsac gf-3, api sl, mack eo-m and eo-m+, cummins ces 20071, 72 and 76 specs.

the recomendations are mack cummins caterpillar and navistar ci-4, volvo vds and vds2.

i dont know if those are good or not, but i thought id give the rx atleast a try.

it seems odd that castrol hasnt gotten to ci4+ and api sm yet. i guess i got an old bottle or somthing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back