CI-4 & CH-4 Diesel Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant

For a non-EGR dieselapplication, is there any advantage to a CI-4 rated oil over a CH-4 oil? The CH-4 oil, as a general rule, seem to have better low temperature properties.

Ive heard the protection from the CI-4 oils isnt as great, as if some tradeoff had to be made to accept whatver it was that the egr puts into the oil (heat, soot, etc).

Most HDEOs shouldnt be in an engine below freezing, so I dont even worry about the cold properties.

JMH

Hi,

ant - I am operating both CI-4 and CH-4 versions at the moment ( Delvac 1 5w-40 ). The CI-4 oil will handle soot better and it's other traits are by and large a worthwhile enhancement over CH-4

Unless you are using the vehicle well below -15C any specific product's lower temp performance if any will not be of any consequence

JHRZ2 - the 15w viscosity component of "most HDEO's" enable them to be operated with ease down to at least -10C. They are used in Australia down to -15C and perhaps even lower

Regards
Doug

CI-4 raised the standard for High Temp High Shear from 2.9 cp to 3.5, with a significant reduction in wear (that was already in the DH-1 global spec, so it was no improvement for those that were already DH-1).

It's true that, as a rule, the CI-4 spec oils are thicker. Due to the far higher soot loads from EPA-compliant HD diesels with EGR, you need far more detergents and dispersants.

However, if you're in a very cold winter climate like I am, you can still find suitable HDEO to use down to -40 or colder.

The Esso XD-3 Extra series has two full PAO HDEO: 0W-30 and 0W-40. The rated MRV BPT is -46 C and -45 C, respectively. That should cover cold winter temps in almost every region of Canada (Including the Far North), the U.S., and Alaska.

Remember that the MRV values cannot exceed 60,000 cP or the oil ceases to flow. Here is current MRV data for Esso XD-3 Extra at -40 :

Esso XD-3 0W-30: 22,600 cP
Esso XD-3 0W-40: 28,600 cP

Before Mobil stopped publishing detailed specs, a pds for Delvac 1 CI-4, dated Nov 2002, had the MRV at -35 C. Esso also tests at -35 C, so we can easily compare the oils:

Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40: 32,000 cP
Esso XD-3 Extra 0W-30: 11,200 cP
Esso XD-3 Extra 0W-40: 14,900 cP

I also have an old Mobil Delvac 1 pds from Feb 1998, when Delvac 1 was CG-4. The rated MRV at -35 C was 17,000 cP.

So clearly Delvac 1 CI-4 is quite a bit thicker than it used to be. Delvac 1 is also clearly thicker in low temps than the comparable Esso XD-3 0W-30 or 0W-40. For temperatures above say -30 C, Delvac 1 should be fine.

Remember to follow your equipment recommendations, as most have similar viscosity charts. As an example, Cat has the following viscosity / temperature recommendations for HDEO in their motors:

15W-40: -9 C to +50 C (+15 to +122 F)
10W-30: -18 C to +40 C (0 F to +104 F)
5W-40: -30 C to +50 C (-22 F to +122 F)
0W-30: -40 C to +30 C (-40 F to +86 F)

With the 15W-40 or the 5W-40 synthetic the preferred viscosity to use year round, especially in temps above freezing.

In the vast majority of gasoline and diesel engines, the dual rated CI-4/SL provides superior protection from deposits and wear.

Due to the much higher detergents in CI-4 oils, use caution when switching over an old motor with deposits. A short OCI with a good flush, say Auto RX, would be the safe bet.

Jerry

quote:

Originally posted by heyjay:
Due to the much higher detergents in CI-4 oils, use caution when switching over an old motor with deposits. A short OCI with a good flush, say Auto RX, would be the safe bet.

Jerry

I didn't even bother replying when I first saw this thread simply because I knew you'd chime in and offer up a very good response.

'Ya just had to throw in that last statement though, didn't ya!
grin.gif
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:

quote:

Originally posted by heyjay:

Jerry

I didn't even bother replying when I first saw this thread simply because I knew you'd chime in and offer up a very good response.

'Ya just had to throw in that last statement though, didn't ya!
grin.gif
cheers.gif

Jelly:

Well, Ant did mention an older diesel motor without EGR. Who knows if there is heavy soot/sludge inside the motor?

Recalling my nasty experience with that old Yard Mule, I did have to throw it in. Once burned, twice shy.

Jerry

I have a 2004 Ram with the Cummins diesel, but it does not have EGR. However, CI-4 oil is specified in the owner's manual.

Seems I have read that the new EGR engines have to handle more heat. Also, ring and piston deposits had to be reduced. This is why I think the CI-4's are thicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back