Winter Oil for Duramax

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '03 Duramax has just under 7000 miles on it, and I'm trying to determine the proper oil for this coming winter (Minnesota). I've been running Mobil Delvac 1300 since new, and would continue, but GM claims I should use 5w40 oil for below 0 operation in the winter. So far my choices seem to be:

1. Rotella T 5w40 synthetic...from what I've read, I'm not too crazy about this oil, but its easy to get, and reasonably priced.

2. Delvac 1...I'd like to eventually run a full synthetic, but had planned to wait till around 15,000 miles on the engine. I also do some short trips with the truck, and thought changing a less expensive oil more frequent might be better.

I've read a lot about Schaeffers, and think it might be a good alternative, but its a 15w40 oil, and GM says I need to be at 5w40. I also read about Valvoline Blue, but have not seen it anywhere. Are there any other choices?

The Petro Canada, "Duron" , 5w-40 is an excellent synthetic diesel oil that I recommend all the time as a less expensive alternative to the Amsoil Series 3000, 5w-30 for cold weather use.

You can find this stuff in the northern US for about $17.00/gallon

Duron 5w-40:

HT/HS ...4.2 Cp
VI ...177
PP ...-45F
CCS viscosity @ -25C ...5500 Cp
TBN ...10.9

I think it's the best Group III based diesel oil available in north America ....also excellent for gas engine use.

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

roegs, been wondering the same. I just did my first OC on my Duramax at 2600 miles, with Delvac 1300. I am wondering how 10w30 would work, since it seldom, if ever gets below 0 here in NE Ohio. Dmax engine supplement says you can run 10W30 between 0-100F, but 15W40 is prefered.

Pick, If I where you I would run delvac 1300 year round. Ohio doesnt get cold enough to warrant a synthetic 5/40 IMO. I live in the UP of MI and I plan on using delvac 1300 through the winter this year to see how it does. I have previously used PC duron with good UOA's, but it also cost me about $13 a gallon vs. under$6 for 1300. IMO you can run a CI-4 dino oil 10K in a Cummins, so it doesnt make sense to use a expensive oil unless cold starts become as issue.

I would use the Shell. It's at least as good an oil as the Delvac 1300, it meets your need for a 5W-40, it's readily available, and the price is right.

Thanks for the replies. Pick...it was good to see your post. I was beginning to think everyone except me had this figured out.

I did some checking on Petro Canada's Duron today. I called the Chicago office, but they did not think it was available in the Minneapolis area. Similar to what I found with Schaeffers.

Assuming I go with the Rotella T 5w40, can I run that in the winter, and go back to Delvac 1300 in the summer? I'm used to running the same brand of oil in an engine all the time, but possibly this is old school. (My wife would not put up with the smell of Rotella in the summer. Its bad enough just listening to the complaints of diesel smell)
grin.gif

My other thought is to bite the bullet and switch to Delvac 1 full time. My concerns here are 1) only 7000 miles on the engine, and 2) with some short trips in the winter I'm thinking I'd be better with a oil that I can change every 4-5000 miles.

[ November 17, 2003, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: roegs ]

How about Rotella 5W40 in the winter and Rotella 15w40 in the spring and summer months?
The stinky Rotella was a once thing, and has been rectified.
Edit; The Rotella 10W30 is about a 12.2 on the scale.
I would bet that your truck would do just fine on that during the winter.

[ November 17, 2003, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: userfriendly ]

Another oil I have been considering is the Amsoil 15W40 synthetic blend. Slightly less expensive then full synthetic, but it is API certified, so no warranty worries.

Pick...I was thinking the same except using Schaeffers 15w40. My concern is that it does not have the 5w rating, and I would not like to have warrenty issues (its below zero here quite often). GM seems to be quite firm about a 5w rating for below zero operation. I wonder what the dealers are using?

I don't see a problem with switching back and forth between oils. I agree with wanting to dump the winter oil quickly, and it's hard to stomach doing that with the cost of Delvac 1.

Roegs, I would check to see what they say about using syn. untill its broke in. I was on cummins website and they said not to use it for 5 to 15000 miles when it will be broke in. 5000 for a hard break in and 15000 or 20 I cant remember was if you drive it like a car.

The Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w40 is availible at my local Napa (Burnsville - off Hwy 13, west of 35W) retailer. He indicated that any Napa should be able to get it, but this was the first time I had seen the stuff on the shelves. A VOA was posted some time ago of this stuff, and it looked plenty competent. A bit pricey at 18.99 a gallon though, so I stuck with the Rotella T syn 5w40 at 12.84 a gallon. A bit easier to find, anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back