Oil for a 03 F250 7.3 Liter Power Stoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an F250 with the 7.3 liter power stroke. I've waited 15 years for this truck and I have been attempting to get some experienced insight to the optimal oil and oil filter combination. The PSD requires low foaming oil to drive the injectors properly. Ford claims that the Motorcraft 15W-40 is the oil to use....I don't think so....but I do not want to pay $8 to 10.00 /quart for the AMSOIL. I live here in reality Indiana with my wife and 3 kids. I can't afford to use "tricked out" consumables yet I want this truck to last me a decade! A little help please. Thanks in advance.

I'd suggest mailing George at AVLUbe, one of the site sponsors. I think the Mobil Delvac 1300, 15w-40 will work very well in this application; changed every 5000 miles. My other recommendations would be the Delo 400 or the Schaeffers S7000, 15w-40 ordered in bulk.

Just for the record, the Amsoil 15w-40 is closer to $5.75/qt at full retail, even with the shipping included ....

TS

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
I'd suggest mailing George at AVLUbe, one of the site sponsors. I think the Mobil Delvac 1300, 15w-40 will work very well in this application; changed every 5000 miles. My other recommendations would be the Delo 400 or the Schaeffers S7000, 15w-40 ordered in bulk.

Just for the record, the Amsoil 15w-40 is closer to $5.75/qt at full retail, even with the shipping included ....

TS

Even cheaper. $10 for 6 month preferred membership
$ 71 for (2) 2.5 gal containers of 15w40
$ 81 total for 20 qts is $4.05/qt

Add tax on $71 ($3.55/qt) 8% is $5.68
add shipping at about .58 per qt is $11.60

Total for 20 qts of 15w40 is about $98.28 or $4.91/qt to your door.

If you are buying for another vehicle then the price per quart comes down some.

If you purchase vitamins then the price comes down more.
If you extend oil changes to 20k miles with filters at 7-10k then your price is resonable as your costs are lower.

quote:

Originally posted by userfriendly:
GOOD GRIEF

lol.gif

Luchsea, Use any of the proper oils Delo, Rotella, Mobil 1300, look for a ci4 oil change the differential oil the trans oil's and if your lucky the truck should last. Wait 15 years for a truck?

I'd be leary of articles like that as there are no direct references from cat and anyone can post stuff like that on the internet. This is not to say not possible but it shows a heavy bias toward synth's and not referenced.

Does anyone have the November 1999 Issue of Lubes and greases?

I didn't start getting lubes and greases until about mid-2000.

If so can someone confirm the accuracy of the above article??

Luchsea,

Any 15W-40 diesel engine oil with API Service Category CH-4 or CI-4 will work well for you. They all have the necessary anti-foaming agents in them. Some oils will work better. Chevron Delo 400, Pennzoil Longlife, and Mobil Delvac 1300S are all very good. Shell Rotella-T is adequate, but for the money, you can probably get better oil. The best oil for the cost is probably Schaeffer's #700 15W-40 synthetic blend, and it will give you easier starts and less wear in your cold winters. Also excellent, especially in the winter is Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 synthetic diesel engine oil, but it's pricier and little if any better than Schaeffer's. Amsoil 15W-40 is also excellent, but pricey.

If you really want the best life from that engine, use a block heater in the winter...you'll have reduced wear on the cold engine as well as easier starts.

Oil filters?...OEM, Fleetguard Stratapore (made by Cummins and probably the best), WIX & NAPA-Gold, Baldwin.

Bypass oil filter?...pricey and may extend the life of your engine from 400,000 miles to, what?, twice that? The body will fall off the frame before the engine wears out.

Automatic transmission?...Add a Racor LFS22825 filter and change the ATF every 30,000 miles with standard ATF or every 60,000 with Schaeffer's #204S synthetic blend ATF or a full synthetic ATF.

Ken

[ August 22, 2003, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
Luchsea,

Any 15W-40 diesel engine oil ...

Ken

Ken,

Thanks a bunch. You sound like a reasonable sort. I was just about ready to go with the Rotella T 15W-40 at SAM's for $262/55 gallon drum. Thanks for the tips on the other conventional oils. I have never heard of Shaefer's Oil before.....I'll have to get a data sheet on their popular weights. Where can this be had? And where can the oil be found?

Bobistheoilguy website is great! But I have not read the oil filter research yet. The AMSOIL website indicated that the NAPA Gold was on the low end of the spectrum while the Mobil 1 filter was near the top. I negotiated a case buy on the Mobil 1 filters for $9.50/each. (Normally $11.99)

I was also toying around with using the alternative air filters...not any more though...the webite confirmed my hunches. I'll be sticking w/paper filters.

Have you read the "Oil Bible"? What do ya think?

I got a reply from a major diesel overhaul facility and they thought Rotella was good. I want great for a nickel!

Does anyone know anything about the Motorcraft Oil? Who makes it? Ford has their dealership employees pretty well brain washed to tout the party line...trouble is they cannot come up with any data! I have a really great Service manager I deal with and I finally got him to admit that to think that Motorcraft Oil was the greatest was insulting my intelligence. He's going to attempt to find out the inner secrets of FOMOCO oil. Thanks again.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
.... Wait 15 years for a truck?

Thanks for all your input...but especially you crackpots making fun of me for saving for a truck for 15 years! I've not been going without....God's been providing. (Got to tithe too) It's just that with three kids and a desk job I could not justify a truck that cost as much as a small home! College tuition to save for and all. And actually after pulling trailers w/our Astro Vans for 10 years it was my wife and daughter who gave the goahead for the truck....to pull their horses around with ! Thanks again. Any other tips on the 7.3 would be appreciated.

Luchsea

Here is a link to all of Schaeffer's data sheets. http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/form.html

Check out the oil analysis section for real world test results in Powerstrokes and other diesel engines.

I use Schaeffer's oils with results that rival the full synthetic at a significantly lower cost.
Check out some of Bob's experiments they will demonstrate Schaeffer's excellent anti-foam properties.

[ August 23, 2003, 06:59 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

quote:

Originally posted by Luchsea:
I can't afford to use "tricked out" consumables yet I want this truck to last me a decade! A little help please. Thanks in advance.

Sounds to me like you are a good candidate for a by-pass filter. With the use of a by-pass the price of the oil per gallons becomes moot!

FYI. Amsoil at $15/gallon would cost you about $75(5 gallons) for 15,000 miles along with 2 filters at $10 each. changed at 7500 miles with a quart to top off.

So Figure $100 for 15,000 miles. What would you spend for regular at 5,000 miles. $90 for the oil at $6/gallon plus 3 filters at $10each.

$120 per 15000 miles for dino.
$95 per 15,000 miles with synthetic. That's being conservative on this engine as well. If you did an analysis at the 15K should be able to go longer.

Put the by-pass on, now your talking 10K FF filter changes, 20K by-pass changes. 100,000 on the oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Neil Womack:
Luchsea

Here is a link to all of Schaeffer's data sheets. http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/form.html

Check out the oil analysis section for real world test results in Powerstrokes and other diesel engines.

I use Schaeffer's oils with results that rival the full synthetic at a significantly lower cost.
Check out some of Bob's experiments they will demonstrate Schaeffer's excellent anti-foam properties.

Thanks a bunch Neil. The data sheets are great. How can I locate similar for the Delvac 1300, the DElo 400 anf the Motorcraft 15W-40? What do you run the Schaeffers in? And for how long ?

IMHO Ken2 has some very good advice.

99.5 PSD 7.3

I have been using Delo 400 for 4 years now with good analysis. Walmart has it for $6 a gallon. I change every 6000 miles based on analysis and could probally go 8000 if I wanted to. Walmart also has Delvac 1300 (my next chioce) for a few cents less.

For filters I have used Mobil 1 and K&N, I got a bunch of them at a fair price ($10). The fleetguard would be next depending on price or Motorcraft at Walmart ($10) cause they are easy to find.

I change my ATF (full 20 Qts. flush) every 30,000 miles, including filter with Mobil 1 ATF, and have a temp gauge. Plus I have a small second trans cooler mounted right behind the front license tag to help at slow speeds/towing. This is an attempt to help my 4R100 transmission (which needs all the help it can get).

Enjoy your truck.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back