Small Diesel Tractor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Johnny, been a while.

I agree with Johnny, most all of the ones listed are good and can do what you're looking for.

Johnny, Your statement This particular 15W40 (from test that I have seen, but that I do not have on hand) is more shear stable than any other mineral based 15W40 on the market at this time.

I'm not trying to attack you but your statement has me wondering..I realize you don't have "those tests on hand" but do you have any actual oil analysis you have or can share with us in diesel engine applications to show how your statement might hold true as being better? I find it to be a bold statement cosidering the company kept on this board, and sounds like it shouldn't be much problem to provide this so we can see how this makes that oil better than any of the rest.

I personally understand your belief in your products as being a rep for them, but please share with us some data in the form of oil analysis to show how much better having those "special" VI's makes your oil do better in extended drains and or wear reduction.
Thanks.

[ February 24, 2003, 07:38 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
Not my potato farmers. I took them all off of Schaeffers, Delo, Mobil, Shell, and Texaco. But there are plenty more. I have work to do.

I hope this is not taken wrong but as a Pennzoil Representative or Salesman do I understand this correctly that you have switched consumers to and sold a oil to farmers that does not have the cold cranking ability of Shaeffers or any of the others like John Deer 0/40, Syndurance 5/40 and Mobil Delvac 1 5/40 for use in very low tempuratures when clearly there are better cold weather oils than the Pennzoil 15/40 ? Can you clarify why this oil is superior in below 0 F conditions and why it is better than the other oils I mentioned at 100F ?

Bob: I will try to get some long term analysis from some of our fleets so you can see a trend, instead of just sending one analysis. When I get them, I will post them on the used oil forum.

worriedboutoil: Question not taken wrong at all. Please re-read my post. I said compared to the mineral oils listed above. The oils you listed are either synthetic blends or synthetic. I'm not to worried about the potato farmers here and cold pumpability. They won't start using their tractors until this spring. Right now everything is covered in ice and snow, and it's 4 degrees. All of them are in Florida or Arizona basking in the sun at this time. As for as the 100F performance, it mostly has to do with the Shell Vis VI improver. Extremely stable. As I told Bob, when I get the analysis sent to me, I will post them on this board.

Thanks Johnny, look forward to it.
cheers.gif

As a "newbie" to this site I've found it to be most helpful in my determining which oil to use in my Kubota L2950 diesel tractor. Now, can someone give me some good advice as to what brand,type, and weight gear oil I should be using in my Kubota garden tiller that I pull behind my tractor. Both of these units are about 10 yrs. old and when I bought them recently there were no owners or operators manuals with them. Therefore, I'm not certain as to which gear oil is appropriate for this type tiller. Also, how full do you fill this tiller? There is a filler hole at the top but do you fill it to a certain level below full or what? Thanks.

Hello,
It's good to hear from another CUT owner. Others here will be able to address your oil question better than I. My comment is regarding your (missing) ownner's manuals. Your Kubota dealer can probably direct you to a source for your manuals. eBay is another option. Old manuals pop up there all the time. Good luck.

OkieG

Johnny: "the potato farmers here ... won't start using their tractors until this spring. Right now ... all of them are in Florida or Arizona basking in the sun ..."

Hmmm ... last time I saw "Lifestyles of the Rich & Shameless" I don't remember seeing any of these bourgeois potato farmers profiled.
wink.gif

OkieG, viscosity improvers (in general) are the synthesized compounds which allow lighter/thinner oils to act like thicker ones. They are present in nearly every oil, especially mineral-based ones which have a wide-spread between their winter and summer numbers such as 5W30, 10W40, etc ...

They flow well in the cold but in the presence of heat, their molecules form long chains causing them to thicken ... or at least preventing them from thinning out.

The problem is that VII has been the weak link in many oils, especially susceptible to physical shearing and thermal degradation. After 2,000-3,000 miles, many 5W30 oils have sheared back to 5W20. A similar effect occurs in other oil weights. The thinner base oil is still OK, the additives may still have some life left to them but the VII has been thoroughly broken down.

From what Johnny stated above, it appears that this new additive allows the oil to "stay in weight/grade" longer, making it better for heavier duty use: higher heat, higher RPM and longer drain intervals.

pharmer, I'd explain your plight directly to Kubota in writing telling them which model(s) you have and that you would like replacement manuals so you may continue to operate your equipment properly and safely. One of the few perks of having a litigious society (every one eager to sue each other) is that companies will bend over backwards when it comes to little safety things like this. Imagine if you wrote to them requesting a manual, saved the correspondence and were later mangled by this machine after Kubota refused to provide you with a replacement owner's manual?
shocked.gif
That's the sort of scenario ambulance chasers live for!
grin.gif

--- Bror Jace

[ March 05, 2003, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Bror Jace ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back