Which diesel oil is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to know what 15w40 (dino) diesel oil is best for Dodge Cummins engines? Any thoughts about Valvoline disel oil?
Thanks

I can't speak to your specific needs.

However, after some research using several web sites. This web site, NORIA and a few tractor sites.

I believe the best dino 15w-40 is the Schaeffer's #151 X-200 Moly Bond. For a few cents a quart more you can upgrade to #700 Schaeffer's 15w-40 synthetic blend.

No kidding the #700 will out perform many so called synthetic oil that cost over $4.75/qt.,its API Licensed and comes from a quality company.

Look for passing Cummins CES 20078. That is the lastest and greatest. Delo is #1 in oil use in heavy equipment.

quote:

Originally posted by widman:
Look for passing Cummins CES 20078. That is the lastest and greatest. Delo is #1 in oil use in heavy equipment.

What do you mean that Delo is # 1. The Best or maybe the biggest seller or what ?

I'm sorry but i do not agree ! I have change many customers from Delo to Schaeffers Supreme 7000 and the Moly Bond X200 and have seen less wear, etc. Sorry don't have any time now to explain more. Going camping for the weekend .
fruit.gif

Moly Bond X-200 SAE 15W-40 meets and exceeds the following manufacturers’ specifications and requirements: Military Specifications MIL-PRE-2104G and A-A-52306A, API Service Classification CI-4/CH-4/SL, Global Specification DHD-1, JASO DH-1, Mack EO-N and EO-N Plus, Allison C-4, Caterpillar, Caterpillar TO-2, Cummins CES 20078 , CES 20076, CES 20071; Detroit Diesel, Detroit Diesel/MTU Types Categories 1 and 2, International Harvester, Navistar, John Deere, JI Case, Komatsu Dresser, ACEA E5-99, E3-96, B3-98, B4-98 A3-98; Duetz, Damiler Chrysler MB228.3, Damiler Chrysler MB228.5, MTU MTL 5044 Type 2; MAN 271,Renault, Scania, Volvo VDS-2 and VDS-3, and Volkswagen VW 502.00 and 505.00.

Supreme 7000 SAE 15W-40 meets and exceeds the following manufacturers’ specifications and requirements: Military Specifications MIL-PRE-2104G and A-A-52306A, API Service Classification CI-4/CH-4/SL, Global Specification DHD-1, JASO DH-1, Mack EO-N and EO-N Plus, Allison C-4, Caterpillar, Caterpillar TO-2, Cummins CES 20078 , CES 20076, CES 20071; Detroit Diesel, Detroit Diesel/MTU Types Categories 1 and 2, International Harvester, Navistar, John Deere, JI Case, Komatsu Dresser, ACEA E5-99, E3-96, B3-98, B4-98 A3-98; Duetz, Damiler Chrysler MB228.3, Damiler Chrysler MB228.5, MTU MTL 5044 Type 2; MAN 271,Renault, Scania, Volvo VDS-2 and VDS-3, and Volkswagen VW 502.00 and 505.00.

[ November 01, 2002, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: David ]

The most popular 15w40 in the usa is Rotella-t. As afr as the schaeffers oil. I am sure its good oil, but I can go buy delo,rotella,delvac from wallmart at 3am if I need to and they are available everywhere.

obviously not been around much or you'd understand that an oil being a group III synth doesn't mean much. There is much more to oil than the base stock. This isn't to say that oil isn't any good, but you keep talking about the base stock as if it means it's better.. WRONG.

[ November 02, 2002, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Ben,
There is no question that the PC Duron is an excellent oil. But two things surface, first, Big Red wanted to know what the best 15W40 dino oil is and PC Duron is a 5W40, so this oil does not meet his requirements, Second, PC Duron is not a readily available oil unless you live in the Northern parts of the US and to procure it most would have to order it also.
PC Duron is a Grp.III synthetic. Schaeffer's is a semi-syn using apprx. 20% Grp. IV/V oil. This is just for info and not a banter.
Go to the Oil Analysis section and read the latest test on the Dodge Cummins analysis.

At that price point why in the world would you consider it. I get Petro-can duron for that price and it is a group 3 synthetic. I have not seen better oil analysis with any other oil in my dodge cummins than with the pc oil.

My point was why pay for a dino/syn blend when you can buy the oil that beat delvac 1 in a sae published test. PC DURON. I also realize it is not a group 4/5 you guys are so fond of, but at ten thousand mile drain intervals I have not found anything that will beat it. BTW you can mail order petro canada from various places, so I would say its no less available than schaeffers.

quote:

Originally posted by ben walker:
My point was why pay for a dino/syn blend when you can buy the oil that beat delvac 1 in a sae published test. PC DURON. I also realize it is not a group 4/5 you guys are so fond of, but at ten thousand mile drain intervals I have not found anything that will beat it. BTW you can mail order petro canada from various places, so I would say its no less available than schaeffers.

I would like to see the SAE report. Also would like your data that supports this statement: "I have not found anything that will beat it ."

If you have noticed- this site is a "no spin zone" We like proof and facts here.
grin.gif

I know this was not directed at me, but if I may,

I have yet to find a valid link on the web of the SAE Technical Paper. I have read the test, in hard copy format, and it makes a direct comparison between the PC Duron Synthetic 5w40 (Group III) to Delvac 1 5w40. Persoanlly I don't know if I would say the PC beat the Delvac 1 as the results were so close it would be hard to declare a winner. If you were to include price in your decision process, then the PC Duron definitely comes out on top.

[ November 10, 2002, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: RC ]

I saw from your previous post the Duron hase some very good cold weather qualities.Never owning a deisel I am not certain what I would do for an oil. With those large oil capacities some thought about price vs how long the oil would run would be a deciding factor I guess?

In a Dodge Cummins powered truck how far are some taking various oils to in terms of miles? I guess some are worked harder than others though,like cars different driving style and usage comes into play. Some of those trucks are the retired persons Cadillac and are used as transportation only

As RC has mentioned the test was published by the SAE. I got it from Ted Kublin AKA Tooslick on this site. Duron and Delvac tested out for all intenesive purposes as equals. When you take into account that Duron cost about $8 less per gallon and has better cold temperature properties it is a no brainer in my mind. I do not have any UOA for this as I got rid of them last time I cleaned my desk out, but I will post the results of my next change.
Molakule, I am running 10k drains in my Cummins. I could go out to 15k pretty easily as the nitration and oxidation numbers are very low and the tbn is high at 10k. The cummins is pretty easy on oil from what I have heard. i wouldnt have a problme running 10K drains without analysis. BTW The first time I ran a 10K drain with Duron it was in the middle of the winter. The miles where split 40/60 between highway and city driving with lots of 15 mile or less trips and the oil still tesetd out above average compared to reports I have seen of amsoil hdd, delvac, and delo syn

Some asked for som oil analysis results for PC Duron. These ares ome I got of the vw tdi board. The tdi is much harder on oil than a Cummins and the Duron still came out looking great at a 10K drain.
BTW Notice this engine is still breaking in. I would suspect wear metals will be even lower once it gets some more miles on it.

...received this afternoon from Oil Analyzers, Inc. for my '02 Jetta 5-speed. The oil went in at 9,967mi. and drained at 19,946mi.

iron 20ppm
chromium 1
lead 3
copper 12
tin 0
aluminum 4
nickel 0
silver 0
silicon 2
boron 0
sodium 3
magnesium 8