Oil sealants: Hylomar brand of sealants

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the USA, "Hylomar" is the Permatex-licensed version of Hylomar's "universal blue" formuala.
Globally, Hylomar is a vendor like Loctite, and famous

According to Hylomar's website they have an anearobic (Loctite equivalent), aircraft-grade (high-temp, high-vibration, metal-to-metal
contact), advanced formula, as well as silicon and polyurethane sealants:

http://www.hylomar.com

What would you use to avoid the typical valve-cover and front-timing cover gaskets from leaking oil, esp. with high-detergent synthetics like Mobil 1 0W-40 or "German" Castrol Syntec 0w-30.

Hylomar, MB "gray" sealants, or something else?

Thanks again,
:) neil

[ October 05, 2003, 05:20 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

I would not use Hylomar at all. I would use Right Stuff by Permatex. If that is too expensive the super blue by Permatex works well for valve covers. You can buy blue and super blue in the Calking gun size witch is how I buy it. You can get get much better control this way then with the little squeze tube. If the OEM has neoprene, nitril or silicone valve cover gaskets and cam plugs those work great!!!

we use hylomar in close tolerance machined surface flanges, such as gearbox flanges. it is good stuff for the right application. i guess you could use it for a gasket dressing but i am one of those that believe in installing gaskets "dry".

Hylomar is just plain WORTHLESS!!! it is used in the accessory drive and reduction gearboxes of jet engines that I work on whe nthey come from Depot. EVERY one of these, without exception, used as directed, leak on us usually immediately or after a couple three flights. we end up resealing them with 3M EC776. This has been an ongoing problem with Depot for a few years now. we have complained, but it is stated as an acceptable use sealant and they don't have to re-do them so they won't replace it with a better sealant. when we first got a tube of it I snuck it home to do the valve covers on my SBC...Does Exxon Valdez tell you anything? Stick with something better IMHO..

I have had excellent results using Permatex Hylomar as a gasket dressing on water pumps and thermostat housings. It was never intended as a standalone sealer like "The Right Stuff".
Hylomar works great on gaskets and disassembly later is real easy.

I've been using hylomar for over 30 years - it was hard to get then,we used to get it from the Foden dealer as they used R/R engines at times.Have always used it on alloy to alloy joints such as gearbox housings,alloy crankcases on motorcycles.Unefected by petrol,so can be used around carburettors to.Always have a tube handy.

As a gasket dressing, this stuff works great. Just don't use too much of it. More isn't better! A thin layer will seal and it won't dry out. If you ever need to take something apart, no problem with gaskets stuck to anything - this means less scraping and less chance of removing metal while scraping (causing leaks in the future). I have seen Redline run in Motorcycles with this stuff used as a gasket dressing and there are no leaks.

Hylomar was used to seal the machined cast aluminum cover of a gearbox we manufactured. It worked great in this application, two smooth flat surfaces, a very thin layer on each, and yes, the cover could be removed and replaced without a new application oof Hylomar. Leakage was never a problem. I also use it as a gasket dressing, applied to one surface to hold the gasket in place. To fill large or irregular gaps, or on bent or deformed covers an RTV type sealant would probably be a better sealant, but used as intended, I believe Hylomar is a great product. I just recently saw that it is now distributed by Permatex- a good compliment to the product line.

hylomar blue is one of my favorite also, mainly for a gasket dressing on flat machined surfaces. It was never made to fill gaps or voids. I prefer the urathane and polyurathane sealants for the big gaps. Silcone rtv stuff has never worked well for me in automotove use. .02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back