How much hp and torque do large trucks have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to drive semis years ago. Detroit diesels were all two cycle engines at that time. Detroit diesels came out with four cycle engines for over the road trucks just guessing after 1985? or later. Oh,also Detroit diesels were used in buses. They have a blower to scavenge exhaust and some models have turbochargers to increase torque mounted in tandem with the blower as the blower was still needed to start and run the engine. I don't know if compound would be the proper terminology for the blower turbo combination.

Might do to well to consider that one "accelerates" by shifting gears. I know that sounds obvious, but there is no way to wind out a Class 8 diesel.

Detroit 60's are okay, they have their problems. Their advantage is light weight and pretty good mileage when correctly spec'd. They make some nice noises and have a good feel when accelerating.

Spec'ng big trucks is, literally, a full-time job.
Try choosing, from just one of a dozen lines by Rockwell, the seventy-three variations available.

Or rears.

Cummins and Cat are likely still the HP leaders (600 HP and 2100 ft/lbs) last I looked a year or so ago when still driving.

Most rigs running down the road are more like 425 HP and 1800 ft/lbs.

Company trucks are lesser-powered and geared, and independents more likely to be running 13-speeds and big power. Knowing how to use it is the key.

1/2 mpg can make or break an operation in some instances.

As to torque, when I was driving flatbed and was delivering some big-diameter cast-iron pipe to a worksite, being able to shift to first (rarely used granny gear), never touch the fuel pedal and make it around a fenced turn on an incline from a dead stop at 78k gross was always impressive. Nothing in the truck changes: the A/C still blows ice-cold, the temps stay within range, etc.

But that particular Cat motor weighed 3,465-lbs and the Super 10 trans weighed over 800.

By itself, no trailer attached, the usual tractor weighs 18k.

Read Bruce Mallinsons articles:

http://www.dieselinjection.net/

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
So nobody knows the hp/torque that they put out?
frown.gif

The average truck has 430-500 hp @ 1800 rpm and 1400-1650 ft lbs tq @ 1200rpm.

Currantly the most hp and tq is 600hp and 2050 ft lbs in a factory engine.

Like the other guy said ya just let the clutch out at 600 rpm and it will drive off.

Legal weight is 80,000 lbs.

Hi,
in this country we haul 42500kg on 22 wheelers
My Detroit's ( 4 stokes ) 60 series put out 500 hp at 1800 rpm and 1650 ft/lbs torque
First life to rebuild on Mobil Delvac 1 is about 1000000 miles!
Regards
Doug Hillary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back