Trans/Hydraulic Fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a part-time farmer with a 35 year old tractor. I intend to change the hydraulic fluid in the tractor (all 22 gallons) and am bombarded with the ad hype of a dozen Universal Trans/ Hydraulic fluids. I have researched and found the Information Sheets for most of the types available here in the USA and they are all very similar. The fluid I need must meet the old International Harvester B-6 Hy-Trans spec, and most of the available fluid labels claim compatibility. I like taking good care of my equipment, but have learned over many years that a high price does not always mean high quality, and to a degree, a moderate price does not always mean significantly lower quality. My local Case/IH dealer wants $8/gal for their Hy-Trans fluid in 5-gallon jugs and considerably less for their bulk fluid... which turns out to be a Citgo product anyway and not "official" Hy-Gard. What's wrong with finding a Universal Hydraulic/Trans fluid at a farm supply store that's on sale for considerably less (about $5.50 gallon), but that meets the B-6 spec? I'm thinking specifically of Tractor Supply's Traveller Premium Universal Trans/Hydraulic fluid. I noted one older test on one of the boards that mentioned John Deere Hy-Gard. My bottom line is always the ratio of dollar vs performance and a 35 year old tractor that gets about 60 hours a year does not need the A-1 best at unlimited cost. Many thanks, gents!

go with citgo brand or other major they all make "universal" THF and they all will run fine
the one I make is sold for 3.89 gallon/ drum using Lubrizol additive like most majors do.
The Original oils at the high price are made by that same majors even citgo but the "OEM" name always costs more but unless buying a OFF brand yopu are OK.

bruce

I use Mobil 424 and Mobil LT in all of my farm equipment. They contain orenite as an additive. Mobil 424 shifts much better in my Ford Tw-15 which is an older tractor. This is in comparison to Ambra 134D and 134G. I mixed 50/50 424 and Lt to use in my feed/work tractor which has a ccls transmission(NewHolland 7740sle) The LT is a low temperature fluid very much suited for those cold winter mornings. The price was a little more expensive than the New Holland brand. I sampled the Ambra at 1200 hours and Blackstone said to discontinue use immediately...I will sample my current blend next spring and change transmission oil again at 800hrs. Ill try to find that sample report and post sometime today

Where should I post it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back