Fluid life for floor jacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just noticed the addition of a hydraulic jack oil to the range offered by a site sponsor.

Must say that I'm impressed, but still worry that it might not be compatible with my synchros.

quote:

Originally posted by Hankster:
I fix hydraulic floor jacks as part of my job. The oil does break down and go bad. Change the oil every 2 years or so by removing the filler plug. Not the valve plug!! Then turn it upside down over a pail and let all the oil drain. Refill with a quality AW-32 hydraulic oil.
Hank

Gee, I'm a little late. I got my jack in 1964 and have never touched it. Better get busy!

I noticed that my floor jack (a 2-ton cheapie that I got at Autozone about 4 years ago) no longer wanted to go all the way up. I thought it was screwed, time for a new one but all it was is that the oil was low. But I had no jack oil and it was late (all the stores closed) so I found this thread which said that Dexron III can be used instead.

So I decided to dump out the old oil, and refill it with Dexron III.

Now it works like it's supposed to. Dexron III is cheaper than jack oil, too, and I don't have half a bottle of jack oil to take up space on my shelf for the next 4 years when I might need to add more..

Dexron III will work but if you want your jack to last you a while, change fluid each year to a 6.0 or 6.5 cSt oil built just for jacks. Jack oil is a thin hydraulic oil with specific additives. The top seals in jacks (especially bottle jacks) tend to allow grit to get into the fluid, and you really can't help it since the jack is usually under the car where dust and crud is always landing on the jack.

Check out:

http://www.specialtyformulations.com/index_files/Page2257.htm

You can also use it to lubricate air tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back