Fluid life for floor jacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering if hydraulic fluid for an ordinary 2ton floor jack (from Wally-world)needs to be replaced every so often, even if it get very little use. This jack is close to 10 years old and when I do use it, its like it has a slow leak.
Could it be the fluid or is the jack finished..??
Thanks
Jean

The hydraulic fluid in your jack doesn't go bad. And you're right - it doesn't see much use. I've had my hydraulic jack since 1981 and I've never done anything to it. Mine came with an extra set of O-rings but I never needed to change them.

It sounds like one of your O-ring seals is starting to leak. You can take them off and replace them. If you do this, you may as well replace the fluid. Otherwise, you can just top off the fluid on occasion and you'll be fine.

I fix hydraulic floor jacks as part of my job. The oil does break down and go bad. Change the oil every 2 years or so by removing the filler plug. Not the valve plug!! Then turn it upside down over a pail and let all the oil drain. Refill with a quality AW-32 hydraulic oil.
Hank

quote:

Originally posted by Hankster:
I fix hydraulic floor jacks as part of my job. The oil does break down and go bad. Change the oil every 2 years or so by removing the filler plug. Not the valve plug!! Then turn it upside down over a pail and let all the oil drain. Refill with a quality AW-32 hydraulic oil.
Hank

I'll agree.
What oil would you use?
When if ever would you begin to replace seals?
Can I prevent my rings and seals from going bad by changin every 2 years?
If you only use it once or twice in two years, like a truck (small 2ton jack)carried in a took box, would you still change in TWO years?

Yes I would still change it every 2 years or so. The oil absorbs condenstion and soon rust develops on critical polished steel parts. I prefer to use chevron AW32 hydraulic oil in floor jacks. I operate my own repair business.
Hank

Don't forget to pull an oil sample. Afterwards do an auto-rx treatment before you replace the fluid in your jack.

I have two floor jacks that I have received in the past five years that I still have. I definitely need to change the fluid in it. I have some hydraulic fluid in a white bottle that I never used. most likely got from walmart. hope the stuff is still good. had it for a few years.

Hydraulic Jack oil is repackaged AW-32 Hydraulic oil. Use a good quality. I have found chevron to be the best out there. If you have wide temperature changes Dexron Transmission fluid works as well. On older jacks with "packing" style seals you will have some leaking though.
Hank

quote:

Originally posted by Hankster:
Hydraulic Jack oil is repackaged AW-32 Hydraulic oil. Use a good quality. I have found chevron to be the best out there. If you have wide temperature changes Dexron Transmission fluid works as well. On older jacks with "packing" style seals you will have some leaking though.
Hank

WILL changine the oil KEEP the SEALS fresh?
What in specific led you to the Chevron oil?

Thanks for the info.

I used many brands of oils over the years and found the chevron to stand up to oxidation and water contamination better than any other. The seals will last longer because the seals will be sliding on smooth clean metal. Not pitted rough contaminated metal.
Hank

I have a little 2 tone jack and the kids let the fluid out by playing with it
nono.gif
Just wondering how much fluid do I use? Also There is the valve to let the jack go up and down and also another screw that is adjustable that says don't adjust too late
pat.gif
which do I use to fill it with?

Ken

quote:

So AW 32 is the same as the oil labled as jack oil? Or is it interchangable?

Yes, hydrualic jack oil is about 4-7 cSt. The advantage to using this thin oil is cold weather pumpability and smoother operation.

For maximum oil and component life should I add an outboard filter to my floor jack?

Should it be a bypass type?

A by-pass filter and 3 month UOA's should keep the jack in tip-top shape.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

FWIW, Be on the lookout for a new HJO coming soon!

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
A by-pass filter and 3 month UOA's should keep the jack in tip-top shape.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

FWIW, Be on the lookout for a new HJO coming soon!

Molakule,
I'm sure that I read somewhere that the new HJO oils were going to have substantial quantities of "unobtainium dithiocarbamate".

I'm worried about using jacks conatining this oil on my manual transmission vehicles.

offtopic.gif
what would be an appropriate rate to boost my 3 in 1 oil with these new HJOs ?

I suppose that an electrical pre-luber to feed lubricant to the moving parts would be overkill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back