Mineral based hydraulic fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I am new to this board and I am looking for some info on mineral oil based hydraulic fluid.
I have a old Mercedes with hydraulic suspention an was told I need to use mineral based oil in it.
The previous owner said he used Hi- Trans fluid, which I dont think is compatable. Also M.B. sells the oil but it is $16 per liter!

Thanks!

The designation mineral oil is to differentiate it from brake fluid. Unfortunately that still leaves a wide range of viscositys and additive packages to choose from. I would try to get a more specific recommendation from your dealer or MB. If you can correct any leaks, and change to fresh fluid, even the $16 liter stuff, you may be OK for a long time. You may be able to find an owners manual or shop manual at factoryautomanuals giving a specific recommendation. If you can post here what you really need, somebody can help.

Perhaps I am lucky that my 26 year old truck only asks for motor oil, gear oil, DOT 3 brake fluid, glycol antifreeze, and no exotic no longer produced or stocked products.

Thanks for the replies, I will try to find out more info. M.B. recomends to change the hydraulic oil once a year. Thats why I would rather not pay 16\liter every year. It takes about 4 liters.

Boeing struts use an ISO 15, MX motorcycles 15-32, auto shocks usually 22ish.
ATF is an ISO 32-38 and can double as a hydraulic fluid. Motor oil for a suspension fluid is a no-no.
nono.gif

Greasy:

You didn't mention the year or model Mercedes
you have but many of the older Mercedes models
use mineral based fluid made by Febi in their
self leveling and steering systems. It is special
and expensive. It typically costs about $7.50
per liter. It's widely available online at most
Worldpac distributors. A quick Google search
will hook you right up. You can see a picture
of the Febi bottle at the following link:

http://www.audiquattroparts.com/fluids.htm

No affiliation with the above link or Worldpac.

Chumley

Sorry, It is a 1983 300 TD. It uses it for the rear leveling system.
So "Userfriendly" are you saying I can use ATF?
I guess I need to flush the system with something. It looks very black.
I was told it has Hy-trans tractor hydraulic fluid in it.
Is there a product I should use to flush with? Or just flush with the proper oil.
Also I saw some web sights recomend that mineral based oil be changed to synthetic oil.
Any thoughts?
dunno.gif

Thanks

[ November 01, 2003, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Greasy ]

It is easy enough to find a fluid with similar physical properties - the problem is matching the seal swell characteristics of the OEM fluid and the effect it has on elastomeric seals.

Unless you are an organic chemist, I'd stick with the Mercedes oil on this one ....

TS

Someone already used a product other than the MB $$fluid. The THF, tractor hyd fluid is likely equivalent to the viscosity of a 5W30 engine oil.
See explaination of THFs in the question of the day section. They are a multi-functional fluid, like an ATF only thicker and GL-4 rated.
I'd use either an ATF or ISO 22 hyd fluid, but like tooslick said or implied, its not the recommended fluid.
Were only talking shock absorbers here, and not a life and death situation when and if the wrong fluids are put into an aircraft.
No, don't switch to a synthetic in a 20 year old application.
Yes, ATFs can double as hyd fluids.
But...Cross contamination with engine oils can ruin ATFs and hyd fluid's anti foam properties.

[ November 03, 2003, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: userfriendly ]

hi there

i bought two litres of the mercedes stuff and it just leaked away so i bought a few cans of wynn's stop leak and then i filled up with 20w50 motor oil. so far, so good. my 300te is over 15 years old so i don't care what happens. if i have a problem then i'll let you know.

cheers

sebastian

Try a Universal Tractor Oil (UTF, UTHF) since it is an average 15 weight (10W20), good VI, and has a base of mineral oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back