Oil for Case 830 Gas Tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a car or truck, but closest forum I suppose.

Anyways, I own a 1963 Case 830 Gas Tractor, and traditionally we have always ran a good 15w-40 oil in it.

It is a 4 cylinder, about 70 HP. It maybe gets 50-100 hours a year put on it anymore, mostly grinding feed and mowing roadsides, etc. It never pulls hard or anything like that, just utility work. It does sit 2-3 weeks without use at times.

I have been wondering if maybe I ought to try something different in it since it specs a 30 wt, and has to start in cold weather without any block heater or oil heater. We always used 15w-40 since thats what all the diesel tractors used, and it was easy.

Appreciate any responses.

Hi,

how cold does get in your area?

A mono grade SAE 30 will not provide better starting as temperatures fall below 32F. As far as the engine does not work hard for hours, you should look for a shear-stabe 10w-30 HDEO with gasoline oil rating like API SL.

We have an German 1973 Internation 453 with 3 cyl diesel engine, but no operators manual. According ti the manual of later 4 cyl diesels, they can use:

below 14F: SAE 5w-20 or 10w+10%kerosene.

between 14F and 32F: SAE 10w or 10w-30

between 32F and 86F: SAE 20w-20, 10w-30 or 20w-40

above 86F: SAE 30, 10w-30 or SAE 30.

It seems that SAE 15w-40 was not available at this time. Anyway, I do not like 15w-40 for frequent cold starts and short trips in the winter. A Case IH (or CNH) technican told me not to use SAE 10w-30 in IH-diesels, but he did not say why he wanted me to ignore the original recommendation
confused.gif
. Now I use a synthetic blend 10w-40 HDEO.

If you do not have any trouble with the 15w-40, then stay with it.

If your engine is not to leaky, consider an SAE 10w-40 synthetic blend like Shell rotella SB or Petro-Canada Duron XL, but that's only my recommendation.

Good luck.

Actually, at 32f, a sae 30 is thinner than a 15w-40. Delo 30 is 1583cst at 32f, and 15w-40 is 1634cst.

Hi Jon,

did you use Shell's viscosity index calculator?

Can the given relation between the kinematic viscosity at 40C and 100C (or the viscosity index) realy be used to determine the kinematic viscosity at a third temperature? I thought it could if the oil contains polymers (VIIs)
confused.gif

Probably the engine cares more about the CCS viscosity or maybe the dynamic viscosity than about the kinematic viskosity.

The dynamic viscosity is determined with a Brookfield viscometer, correct me if I am wrong!
dunno.gif

What is the relation between CCS viskosity and the Brookfield viscosity?

The only thing I have heard is: Dynamic viscosity [cP] = Kinematic viskosity [cST] x Density [g/cm^3]
cool.gif

cheers.gif

A FWIW to add. Another element to bear in mind is age and wear-n-tear. I have a a '70 IH 826 (D-358 Neuss) with 8,000 plus hours. It had used a straight 30 all it's life but I noticed oil consumption had increased. I went to Shell Rotella-T 15W-40 and the oil consumption has pretty much stopped. I went to a 15W-40 rather than a straight 40 mostly because I use that oil in my other equipment and it simplified things. The 826 isn't used over the winter and gets less than 100 hours a year, with one OC a year.

Ed,

Wie gehts?
cheers.gif

offtopic.gif

The D358s were used in quite a few IH tractors in the '70s here (826, 886, 1066). The 826 was basically an 856 with the Neuss. They were also used in some combines. Most folks here prefer the American 407ci diesel, because it was more powerful. Still, the D358 was almost as powerful, but much more fuel efficient. I get a bit over 4 GPH working it as hard as I dare chisel plowing in clay.

No coolant filter on mine, but I have been dilligent with maintaining it so far. It looks like the previous owner was also because the engine has never been apart.

The On-Topic Part to Keep Us Legal: I'm not afraid to use a mutigrade in these old engines, especially good ones like Rotella or Delo. Can't bring myself to use synthetic on an ancient tractor like mine and then dump it once a year after less than 100 hours. Probably wouldn't hurt anything but the paycheck, though. Maybe some leakage.

Hi Jim,

just wondering about a German IH in The States. Have these tractors been sold over there? When I was a little boy we had a 724, a tough machine as well!

"Age and wear-n-tear": Yes, take care of the corrosion inhibitors in your coolant. Insufficient protection properties will course the lower sleeve seals to leak. Even some German tractors have been fitted with a DCA-4 coolant filter, which is pretty uncommon in European conditions. However, I like NOAT coolants better. I have switched our Maxxum to Cat ELC last year. The Magnum and the IHC 453 will get Fleetguard ES Optimax in the springtime.

It is sad that Fleetguard does not carry ES Optimax in Europe. It took Fleetguard 5 month to supply a 6x1 Gallon case of it
mad.gif
. In 2008 or 2009 the coolant will require a make-up with ES Optimax Extender, I may order a bottle of it in 2007 though
confused.gif

Regards,

ED

Just keep on the good work, Jim!
patriot.gif

I just searched google, the US-model looks different from the German I was thinking of.

Synthetics for 100 hrs OCI are no good value for money. Our 453 works around 200 hrs a year. I chose a 10w-40 synthetic blend because of all the "short trips" and because my dad is a little hard on cold engines.

Good luck for the 8000 hours
cheers.gif

ED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back