10w30 or 15w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently, a major diesel engine manufacturer has stated that the recommended oil weight for their heavy duty diesel engines is 10w30. Most of their dealers, of which one I am employed by, use 15w40. What are the advantages of switching to 10w30. What does it offer that 15w40 doesn't?

Thanks,
Rob

lower vis will give lower wear rates upon warm up and better flow when cold. Id stick to 15/40 unless you need a low vis grade for low temp then I'd go to a syn 5/40.
bruce

I agee with bruce. Unless you are fighting the sub zero temps, stick with the tried and true 15W-40.

The major manufacturer is CAT & since the both of you replied to the other post ( 10w30 DEO in Hydraulic Systems? ) I guess you may see what I'm getting at. If we were to switch to 10w30 in our engines & 10w30 in our hydraulic systems. It would eliminate much bulk oil storage cost. Also, our lube trucks would benefit as well.

I know we won't be voiding any CAT warranties, but would it shorten the life of components in our customer's machines? Is there any chance of harm? Ohio's temperatures fall right within the range at which CAT says 10w30 DEO can be used in both their engines & hydraulic systems.

if you have a good program of oil analysis, with good control of contaminants and established baselines, I'd try it and see the results on succesive analysis.

We have so many pieces of equipment in Bolivia that are porely maintained (and bought used) that I can't recommend it locally.

I'd love to try it in the western part of the country where the altitude is >12000 ft, and temps every night below freezing, but I woun't recommend it where there is poor maint. control, and being a two day drive in 4x4 from your boss makes a lot of maintenance people lazy.

We end up using 15W-40 up there and here in the tropics in newer equipment. We use 20W-50 in the older equipment until re-build. (reduces consumption).

It sounds like you & I share much of the same responsibilities in our occupation.

Most of the customers I deal with have preventative maintenance agreements with our dealership. We routinely perform all their maintenance & track their equipment's health through oil analysis, via our lab & thorough inspections by certified technicians every 250 operating hours.

Since we do track all of this service I think I might implement a program with one or two customers, that are willing, in order to test the 10w30 change over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back